Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Advent Videobeam 1000 Screen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Spanky Ham wrote:
Why do you want a 4x3?

To match the original Advent screen

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Why do you want a 4x3?

Both my projectors are 4:3, and I prefer to be able to use them in their native aspect ratio when I can. I don't like permanently blanking off the top and bottom areas of phosphor.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you watch a lot of SD or 4x3?
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Do you watch a lot of SD or 4x3?

Depends on what I'm watching, really. Movies are mostly 16:9. TV is about 50/50 16:9 or 4:3. But I also play video games on it, and those are ALWAYS in 4:3.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did get me wondering how wide I could potentially make a screen before having to change my projector setup, though. I messed with my Sony projector settings a bit and it looks like I could potentially go up to a 14:9 at 84" wide, which actually would be a good compromise aspect ratio. Something to consider when I get around to building my new screen, I guess. Although from what I've seen, the Videobeam is intended to project higher up on the wall than where I have my current screen, so if I intend to build a Videobeam compatible screen I'll have to take that into account when I build the new screen and I might not *quite* be able to go as wide as 84" depending on how far I can adjust my Sony's tilt on my homemade ceiling mount.

(Although I would have to get shorter speakers if I made the screen any wider without moving it up on the wall. Currently using floor-standing speakers and the one on the left is sandwiched pretty tightly between the screen and the wall.)

EDIT: Nah, the Sony can't really be tilted up any further due to a fluorescent light fixture that's in the way. I can shift the raster up maybe another 6" on the wall, but due to the shape of the phosphor area wouldn't be able to make the picture any wider than it is, and besides wouldn't be able to clear the top of my existing speakers with a shift that small. That does make using the Videobeam a problem, but I'll worry about that after I fix it. Maybe I can make the new screen hang off hooks at the sides or something and have a couple of sets to move it up and down, but it will still have to be 4:3.
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one? Located in Laredo, TX. You could haggle this down some.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTROHOME-FIXED-movie-projector-screen-7-foot-OPTICAL-SURFACE-SCREEN-/172693556827?hash=item2835568e5b:g:ZooAAOSwBt5ZJgNa
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
How about this one? Located in Laredo, TX. You could haggle this down some.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTROHOME-FIXED-movie-projector-screen-7-foot-OPTICAL-SURFACE-SCREEN-/172693556827?hash=item2835568e5b:g:ZooAAOSwBt5ZJgNa

That's... actually not bad. I'd actually consider paying that since they're willing to ship it. I'll give it some thought.

Although that split in the back does worry me some... It looks like it would probably need to be braced to retain its shape.

EDIT: Also, after a second look, there might be a crease or something in the upper right corner? Not sure.
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye. I missed those things.

Let's be honest...With a 30ish year old screen though, you're doubtful to get perfect.

I'd mention those things imperfections to bring the price down. Otherwise, you may have a match!
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
Good eye. I missed those things.

Let's be honest...With a 30ish year old screen though, you're doubtful to get perfect.

I'd mention those things imperfections to bring the price down. Otherwise, you may have a match!

I sent them a message mentioning what I saw and asking them to elaborate on the condition yesterday morning. Haven't heard anything back yet. I suspect they just intend to ignore me because they're probably not interested in selling to someone who asks questions.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search for Torus screens, then you should find plenty of info on how to build your own.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
If you do a search for Torus screens, then you should find plenty of info on how to build your own.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll have to do. I will wait until I get the Videobeam fixed before I start on that though.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got a not-bad-looking test pattern out of the Videobeam tonight, so I guess it's now time to start thinking about the screen more seriously. Smile

And yeah, going forward I think I'll just build a vacuum box torus screen. I tried a test run painting on my flat stretched screen (albeit just with white), and the results are just barely acceptable so I don't think I want to try that on the curved screen, so I guess I will have to get a silver fabric to use. Any opinions on Carl's Silverscreen? The gain is lower than ideal for the Videobeam, but I think it would certainly be much better than what I'm currently using. And I'm thinking I might be better off with that as opposed to something that's not actually intended for use as a projection surface.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company in Korea sells the high gain fabric with or without adhesive on the back. Give me a measurement and I'll get a proper quote. Razz

CRT.

HD done right!
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
The company in Korea sells the high gain fabric with or without adhesive on the back. Give me a measurement and I'll get a proper quote. Razz

I think I'll build the frame first, then get back to you.

Actually the Videobeam died again yesterday... With the same symptoms as it had with the original failed tripler. Makes me wonder if the replacement tripler model I got either isn't very robust or is too old of new-old-stock so it failed again. I'm actually considering constructing my own tripler with high voltage diodes and capacitors that I will actually know the properties of when I put it together. But I'm currently waiting on a high voltage probe because I think that will be helpful in determining whether I should replace the tripler again or look for a problem elsewhere.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just trying to understand why you're so dedicated to such a low performance old dinosaur when even far better CRT projectors can
be had for absurdly low prices these days?
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'm just trying to understand why you're so dedicated to such a low performance old dinosaur when even far better CRT projectors can
be had for absurdly low prices these days?

If you have to ask, there is no way of explaining it to you. Razz
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get the vintage electronics/antiques/collector thing. I just didn't know anybody was into adding the old Advents to that category.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Oh, I get the vintage electronics/antiques/collector thing. I just didn't know anybody was into adding the old Advents to that category.

Well, I wouldn't see why not. They're super cool-looking and they were pretty much the beginning of home theater. And I got a very good deal on mine ($30), so the bulk of the cost to me has been transporting it from OKC to Wichita and executing repairs on it.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally decided just to buy the ElectroHome screen posted above.

The bad news: It is a LOT more damaged than it looks in the photos. I'm trying to get a partial refund because I don't feel it's worth nearly the price I paid for the condition its in. There are some creases/wrinkles near the edges that could be chocked up to shipping damage, but there are 3-4 noticeable scrapes on the optical surface about 9" to 12" in from the edge that just look like reflections in the original photos, so I feel that was misrepresented by omission from the description (not to mention the seller denied any such damage when I direct messaged him to ask a second time). And there were more splits/cracks in the back housing than just the one I happened to catch in the photos.

The good news: Colors are incredibly vibrant, contrast is amazing, and the picture is MUCH sharper than I ever thought I could get out of my projector (the Sony, I mean). It looks very, very good in the undamaged portion in the center of the screen. It also matches the Videobeam screen specs almost exactly, and the Videobeam looks about as good as you'd expect a 1975 projector that's only been repaired and not restored to look on it. And, although I didn't notice this in the photo, it actually came with brackets for wall mounting, so I didn't have to fabricate anything (I just had to buy appropriate hardware to bolt it together)!

I am thinking I may be able to reinforce the back housing using fiberglass cloth and resin, sort of like an automobile bumper repair (although the screen surface is holding its shape in spite of the back housing having those splits -- I think it is actually molded and a separate piece, with the back only really used for mounting support). As for the surface... Well, I am thinking about filling in the scratches with something, and possibly sanding down the wrinkles from where the sides were stressed, then going over it with a metallic paint. Maybe I'll just test in a small area where the worst scratch is first. But I've found a 'silver foil' paint at Hobby Lobby that looks a very close match in color at least (unsure about sheen... I did a test spray on a piece of paper and a heavy coat looks too shiny, but a light coat seems to have about the same sheen as the screen surface -- I don't know if a light coat will be sufficient, so I may need to do a heavy coat and then go over it with a matte or satin clear coat to make the sheen match). Anyway, I've got work I need to do if I want a perfect viewing experience on it.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww damn that's too bad. Hope you get it all straitened out.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: