Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

EPSON Powerlite Pro Cinema 9350 image issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geofbuck

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: EPSON Powerlite Pro Cinema 9350 image issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone,

I picked up a EPSON Powerlite Pro Cinema 9350 used with 1700hrs on the lamp. Took it home and plugged it in on HDMI input and picture is sharp but has weird multi-colour blotches like watermarks all through the image background. This being a 3 LCD projector I am thinking an issue might lie there. Anyone have any ideas?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's either dust particles or burnt polarizers. For grins, have you tried any other inputs? I don't think it would make a difference but you never know. I'm pretty sure this sounds like burnt polarizers, which typically isn't worth fixing. Sad
geofbuck

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew it out with compressed air and removed the lens for inspection. Unit was filled with crap but the lens unit was surprisingly clean. I will try the component input and HDM2 and see if there is any change. It is kind of dim but I thought that was just a tired bulb. I did suspect dust as well, maybe refracting of the light inside and giving me the colour effect in the background, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference after cleaning. I may have to take it apart further and see if the dust got right inside.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put up an all white field from a DVD or computer. It does sound like dust in the optical path, or the polarizer(s) being bad. Can't fix the polarizers, but you can clean the optical path. If the weird colors show up as pastel discolorations, it's dust bunnies.
geofbuck

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha that's exactly what it looks like! Pastel discolorations! Ok I will try to disassemble and clean it more thoroughly. I didn't want to invest in a new lamp until I knew if it was pooched or not. Same issue on other inputs as well.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geofbuck wrote:
Aha that's exactly what it looks like! Pastel discolorations! Ok I will try to disassemble and clean it more thoroughly. I didn't want to invest in a new lamp until I knew if it was pooched or not. Same issue on other inputs as well.

Good deal, assuming you're able to clean the optical path.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy... I have a bad feeling about self cleaning of the light path... There are polarizers in that projector that you cannot touch with anything, or you'll etch the coating on them and ruin them for good.

Be careful...

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to do it, but read up about it online before diving in. The university whose projectors I buy every year do it all the time without problems.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I don't know how to do it, but read up about it online before diving in. The university whose projectors I buy every year do it all the time without problems.

Those professional projectors you sell are built a little better though. They use similar polarizers in the blue and green channels, but they have protective glass on both sides so cleaning is possible without issue.

This epson is just the bare glass polarizer. Touching it with even a cotton fiber is enough to etch the coating and make the color go bad. Totally different class of projector.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will try to be careful for sure. I figure what do I have to lose? I picked it up for $190 bucks so if I bugger it up it will be my "Halloween" projector! I will try to find a service manual somewhere...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: