Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Question About Screen Building Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Question About Screen Building Guide Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Are non-blackout fabrics acceptable for this? The only material I saw at the fabric store was more of a grey and had a moderate texture to it so I opted for something else.

Intended use is with a G70 if that matters.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to paint it, it's probably not that important what you use as long as you can get it installed flat, it takes paint, and isn't overly textured such as to be noticeable/distracting.

You do not want it to be opaque- light should not pass through.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
If you're going to paint it, it's probably not that important what you use as long as you can get it installed flat, it takes paint, and isn't overly textured such as to be noticeable/distracting.

You do not want it to be opaque- light should not pass through.

Good luck!

Kal

I take it a black backing wouldn't be sufficient then?

Thanks for the reply.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If light doesn't pass through, you're probably good! You don't want light bouncing through and back again, washing out the image.

This is all just my hypothesising however, as I haven't used other materials - I've only used curtain blackout material and it works well. I built and then painted a screen (see http://www.curtpalme.com/Building_a_Screen1.shtm) in 2000 and have been using it since then. It's been fantastic! No complaints at all. I built as a temporary $100 screen while I figured out what Stewart screen I wanted to buy/order but liked it so much that I just saved the money... I've now used it in 2 houses.

A Pic:

The same screen can be seen at my previous house here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=3

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to experiment and see if I can get away with skipping the painting step in that case.

Very nice setup and thanks again.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the option of using countertop laminate material. No painting required. The resulting screen is quite good and practically indestructible, which is great if you have small kids. Jelly handprints on the screen? No problem, just wipe it off.

Gain is about 1.3. I notice a slight bit of hot spotting. I wouldn't use it with a brighter digital, but it works well with CRTs.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121397#121397
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
There's also the option of using countertop laminate material. No painting required. The resulting screen is quite good and practically indestructible, which is great if you have small kids. Jelly handprints on the screen? No problem, just wipe it off.

Gain is about 1.3. I notice a slight bit of hot spotting. I wouldn't use it with a brighter digital, but it works well with CRTs.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121397#121397

I'll likely look into it down the line if this doesn't work out, thanks. I'd already bought all the supplies per the guide before I thought to ask about things here. Plus I feel more comfortable working with wood.

Got the frame cut today. Assembly will hopefully come tomorrow or Thursday Smile.

Does anyone have any suggestions on mounting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: