Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Faroudja NRS scaler unlocking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Faroudja NRS scaler unlocking? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm seeing some vague references to Faroudja apparently having released firmware that unlocks the Native Rate Series (NRS) scalers so they can be set to any resolution they're capable of, so that people can do what they want with these now unsupported and somewhat dated scalers.

Does anyone have any information that confirms or denies this?

If this IS true, then what is the process for obtaining said unlock code/firmware?

I can get an NRS locally for dirt cheap but it's set up for 1280x1024 and that's not useful to me.

If it can be unlocked to something more useful then I could find room for it.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Faroudja NRS scaler unlocking? Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'm seeing some vague references to Faroudja apparently having released firmware that unlocks the Native Rate Series (NRS) scalers so they can be set to any resolution they're capable of.

Where are you reading this? My Google-fu is coming up blank.

Taking a look at the company's history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroudja

The ceased to exist in 2000 when they were acquired by Sage which in turn was acquired by Genesis Microchip in 2002 who then got sold in 2007, and so forth. All this to say that the ownership of the firmware and who would be allowed to release it legally was probably a dozen of hands ago, and whoever owns it today would likely have zero interest in doing so because there's no business reason.

Doesn't mean that an enthusiast didn't hack a firmware and release it however - but I can't find any reference to that.

The units were definitely firmware upgradeable to unlock different resolutions so it's definitely possible.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Faroudja NRS scaler unlocking? Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'm seeing some vague references to Faroudja apparently having released firmware that unlocks the Native Rate Series (NRS) scalers so they can be set to any resolution they're capable of, so that people can do what they want with these now unsupported and somewhat dated scalers.

Does anyone have any information that confirms or denies this?

If this IS true, then what is the process for obtaining said unlock code/firmware?

I can get an NRS locally for dirt cheap but it's set up for 1280x1024 and that's not useful to me.

If it can be unlocked to something more useful then I could find room for it.

get the Key digital HD Leeza they are nice and support 72hz.... For cheap...

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: HD Leeza Reply with quote

don't get a Leeza, they are not even comparable to Faroudja's.

the picture was extremely soft when I was able to test one side by side to a Faroudja Trippler (long long time ago)
relstorm3011

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: faroudja nrs Reply with quote

Can i upgrade my nrs to any resolution?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Unless cmjohnson tells us more ... (He never answered my follow up questions above as to what his references are)

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first scaler was the NRS and it did 1280 x 720. Pretty good 15-yrs ago when DVD was king. I believe that each NRS had firmware specifically coded to a particular resolution. That is to say; they didn't contain all of the custom presets that the DVP3000 and DVP5000 had back then. You could buy one and send it back to Faroudja to have the resolution changed but no one really did that. Once Faroudja was sold and Ives retired Lumagen came in a took over that market as Faroudja's intellectual properties were shuffled from company to company.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
My first scaler was the NRS and it did 1280 x 720. Pretty good 15-yrs ago when DVD was king. I believe that each NRS had firmware specifically coded to a particular resolution. That is to say; they didn't contain all of the custom presets that the DVP3000 and DVP5000 had back then. You could buy one and send it back to Faroudja to have the resolution changed but no one really did that. Once Faroudja was sold and Ives retired Lumagen came in a took over that market as Faroudja's intellectual properties were shuffled from company to company.

I have one of those too. Came with a projector I bought. Looked head and shoulders better than the SONY line doubler in the switcher.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so long ago that I saw the posts on some forum that I couldn't find the reference, sorry, Kal, but that's how it is.

I didn't make it up, I did read SOMEWHERE that allegedly there was an unlocking code OR some firmware you could load into the NRS units
that unlocked every available resolution. Never found that post again, sorry.

I used to run a Faroudja DVP-2200 back when I was running a Marquee 8000, and in the early days of my 9500LC ownership as well.
Its output was only 800x600 but it delivered a very nice picture with notably good color. Of course this was pre-HD era.

In fact I still have a 2200. Don't ask me why, I don't really know. I was thinking that its case, front panel, and programmable display
might come in handy for some special project that I have never decided to build. It's quite a good looking package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: