Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CHROMAPURE GRAYSCALE & COLOR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Really good, but in my case I do auto calibration with a DVDO iScan Duo and I'd like to know which options to select in the Auto-Calibration panel. Just the few settings under General Settings and any options in the Options section that might apply.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wfdTamar wrote:
Really good, but in my case I do auto calibration with a DVDO iScan Duo and I'd like to know which options to select in the Auto-Calibration panel. Just the few settings under General Settings and any options in the Options section that might apply.

Take a look at the "Auto-Calibrate" video available through our ChromaPure order page: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Auto-calibration is simple as the computer does all the work for you - the only things you have to quickly set first before starting auto-cal are the black level, white level, and sharpness. Steps 2.2.1, 2.2.2, and 2.3 in this guide show you how. Then you start the auto-cal and sit back and watch.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version I use (2.5.8) has more options in Auto-Calibration (see the attachment) than the very simple one shown in the video. Are the videos based on an even earlier version? Or do you see different options depending on what processor (DVDO etc) is used?

First it gives the option to reset colour matrix calibration settings only (the default setting) or reset calibration settings to the default. I'm not clear why you'd pick one over the other.

Then there's the box for 'Use manual white/black readings for BT.1886' with a couple of boxes which looks like you can fill in your own values for those (though I couldn't, they're greyed out).

I'm calibrating a 4 year old Panasonic VT50 which seems to only have a maximum brightness of about 45cd/m2 (that's if I've measured it correctly). Nowhere near 120 cd/m2. So does that mean I would be better to enter a manual value of 45 in the white box?

I find the videos explain what options you have, but not why you would choose a particular setting (an example is the 'Selecting Options for a calibration session' video). Maybe it just requires more reading elsewhere Smile I've read CHROMAPURE GRAYSCALE & COLOR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES and the Chromapure manual.

My last calibration I selected 'Reset calibration settings to the default' (thinking I don't want to do a manual greyscale calibration - I'd rather it be done for me?). I left the BT.1886 box unticked and selected Video in the 'Input Levels' box. Was that the best thing to do?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wfdTamar,

Did you not received auto-cal instructions at the time of your order? I believe there are normally some short instructions that are included with all orders. Either way, I've asked ChromaPure support to chime in here to answer your questions. Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, but it was 5 years ago. I reckon I would've remembered that I got instructions (if not the actual instructions themselves). I think if I did they would have been along the lines of whats been said - click Auto-calibrate and stand back, rather than information about every setting you bump into along the way. I seem to have been getting a good result anyway, but it'd be nice to have more understanding of what I'm doing in case I could get an even better result.
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Neither. We just simplified the UI for v3.
2. Some people had asked that the reset not change the grayscale because they wanted to do it manually. The v3 grayscale calibration is much better so this is no longer needed.
3. In v3 you make the gamma setting in Options, Gamma. In v2 the gamma selection is in the module.
4. If your plasma is only getting a max of 45 nits, then it is broken. Are you measuring a window or full field? What Picture mode are you in?
5. Yes.

Your questions are the main reason we simplified the UI in v3.

TV/Projector: Sony G90 RadiancePro 4446 - Moome FullHDv2 3D

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomHuffman wrote:
2. Some people had asked that the reset not change the grayscale because they wanted to do it manually. The v3 grayscale calibration is much better so this is no longer needed.

Being able to do manual grayscale calibration can be very important in some applications!

Best,
craigr

*NEW Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
*NEW Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Color Calibration Software
ChromaPure3 Pro Color Calibration Software
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
*NEW Audyssey MultEQ Pro Audio Calibration System
Authorized Lumagen, OPPO, & Ethereal Dealer
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not prevented from doing manual grayscale. The module has checkboxes for color matrix and grayscale. If you leave grayscale unchecked, then auto-cal will not touch it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: