Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CHROMAPURE GRAYSCALE & COLOR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Really good, but in my case I do auto calibration with a DVDO iScan Duo and I'd like to know which options to select in the Auto-Calibration panel. Just the few settings under General Settings and any options in the Options section that might apply.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wfdTamar wrote:
Really good, but in my case I do auto calibration with a DVDO iScan Duo and I'd like to know which options to select in the Auto-Calibration panel. Just the few settings under General Settings and any options in the Options section that might apply.

Take a look at the "Auto-Calibrate" video available through our ChromaPure order page: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Auto-calibration is simple as the computer does all the work for you - the only things you have to quickly set first before starting auto-cal are the black level, white level, and sharpness. Steps 2.2.1, 2.2.2, and 2.3 in this guide show you how. Then you start the auto-cal and sit back and watch.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version I use (2.5.8) has more options in Auto-Calibration (see the attachment) than the very simple one shown in the video. Are the videos based on an even earlier version? Or do you see different options depending on what processor (DVDO etc) is used?

First it gives the option to reset colour matrix calibration settings only (the default setting) or reset calibration settings to the default. I'm not clear why you'd pick one over the other.

Then there's the box for 'Use manual white/black readings for BT.1886' with a couple of boxes which looks like you can fill in your own values for those (though I couldn't, they're greyed out).

I'm calibrating a 4 year old Panasonic VT50 which seems to only have a maximum brightness of about 45cd/m2 (that's if I've measured it correctly). Nowhere near 120 cd/m2. So does that mean I would be better to enter a manual value of 45 in the white box?

I find the videos explain what options you have, but not why you would choose a particular setting (an example is the 'Selecting Options for a calibration session' video). Maybe it just requires more reading elsewhere Smile I've read CHROMAPURE GRAYSCALE & COLOR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES and the Chromapure manual.

My last calibration I selected 'Reset calibration settings to the default' (thinking I don't want to do a manual greyscale calibration - I'd rather it be done for me?). I left the BT.1886 box unticked and selected Video in the 'Input Levels' box. Was that the best thing to do?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wfdTamar,

Did you not received auto-cal instructions at the time of your order? I believe there are normally some short instructions that are included with all orders. Either way, I've asked ChromaPure support to chime in here to answer your questions. Cheers!

Kal

wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, but it was 5 years ago. I reckon I would've remembered that I got instructions (if not the actual instructions themselves). I think if I did they would have been along the lines of whats been said - click Auto-calibrate and stand back, rather than information about every setting you bump into along the way. I seem to have been getting a good result anyway, but it'd be nice to have more understanding of what I'm doing in case I could get an even better result.
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Neither. We just simplified the UI for v3.
2. Some people had asked that the reset not change the grayscale because they wanted to do it manually. The v3 grayscale calibration is much better so this is no longer needed.
3. In v3 you make the gamma setting in Options, Gamma. In v2 the gamma selection is in the module.
4. If your plasma is only getting a max of 45 nits, then it is broken. Are you measuring a window or full field? What Picture mode are you in?
5. Yes.

Your questions are the main reason we simplified the UI in v3.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomHuffman wrote:
2. Some people had asked that the reset not change the grayscale because they wanted to do it manually. The v3 grayscale calibration is much better so this is no longer needed.

Being able to do manual grayscale calibration can be very important in some applications!

Best,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not prevented from doing manual grayscale. The module has checkboxes for color matrix and grayscale. If you leave grayscale unchecked, then auto-cal will not touch it.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this step by step guide which, I think, is convincing me to delve into the calibration process and hopefully increase my picture quality!

I would have a couple of questions if you don't mind :
1) I'm a bit confused about the XRite denominations: I purchased two years ago a device called (on the box) "i1|DISPLAY PRO", so is this the EyeOne Pro ? The Display 3 ? The Display 3 Pro ?
2) I purchased it to calibrate my computers screens, even if I don't often do photo editing, but just to have the pleasure to watch my photos accurately. For now, I'm using the provided XRite software for automatic calibration. But I noticed on some laptop screens, I get a "brown" dominant, while on some others not. Is that a sign of drift or incompatibility with the screen type?
3) You state in another thread that this meter (if it is a Display 3 Pro if I understood right), due to its conception, drifts much much slower than others, so how often should it be recalibrated and how can I achieve this?
4) If recalibration of the meter occurs, I understood it is a drift table to use with the software. But, then, how could I use it with the XRite software to calibrate my computer screens, on which there is absolutely few or no settings at all (for laptop screens)? (meaning impossible to calibrate the computer using Chromapure)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sierramike wrote:
Thank you so much for this step by step guide which, I think, is convincing me to delve into the calibration process and hopefully increase my picture quality!

You're welcome! Glad you find it useful!

sierramike wrote:
I would have a couple of questions if you don't mind :
1) I'm a bit confused about the XRite denominations: I purchased two years ago a device called (on the box) "i1|DISPLAY PRO", so is this the EyeOne Pro ? The Display 3 ? The Display 3 Pro ?

There's definitely confusion around the naming of this meter so let me clarify: The X-Rite manufacture calls the meter the "i1 Display Pro". We call this stock/unaltered meter the "Display 3". We then take this stock meter and create a special enhanced version that is more accurate on 10+ display types when used with ChromaPure. We call this enhanced meter the "Display 3 PRO". So just to be clear, the "i1 Display Pro" you can purchase at Amazon and elsewhere is not the same as the "Display 3 PRO" we sell. Those that already own an "i1 Display Pro" purchased elsewhere can send us the meter to turn it into a more accurate "Display 3 PRO". Cost to do so is $175.

The enhanced accuracy of the "Display 3 PRO" model is software based (the meter is not altered) so this accuracy only works in ChromaPure. By not altering the meter it continues to work in all other software too (though without the enhanced accuracy). In other words, you cannot buy a Display 3 PRO meter and then make use of the enhanced accuracy in other software. For this reason we also do not sell the Display 3 PRO meter by itself. The increased accuracy only works in ChromaPure.

You can read more about the Display 3 PRO here: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm
See the section "What is the EyeOne Display 3 PRO?".

sierramike wrote:
2) I purchased it to calibrate my computers screens, even if I don't often do photo editing, but just to have the pleasure to watch my photos accurately. For now, I'm using the provided XRite software for automatic calibration. But I noticed on some laptop screens, I get a "brown" dominant, while on some others not. Is that a sign of drift or incompatibility with the screen type?

Not sure as you're not using our software. I don't know how the XRite software works. Sounds like it's not working right all the time.

sierramike wrote:
3) You state in another thread that this meter (if it is a Display 3 Pro if I understood right), due to its conception, drifts much much slower than others, so how often should it be recalibrated and how can I achieve this?

It's a sealed design so it tends to drift slower.
How often it should be recalibrated depends on how it's stored / what environment it's kept in. Keep it in a cool/dry place and it'll drift slower. Some people will keep in a bag with desiccant packs to help this.

How often you recalibrate really depends on your needs and how much it's drifted/how 'off' it was in the first place. It's a bit catch-22: You need to measure it to see how much it's drifted.

sierramike wrote:
4) If recalibration of the meter occurs, I understood it is a drift table to use with the software.

Correct. It's a lookup table used by ChromaPure. The meter is not altered. A report is given showing how 'off' it is. See here for an example: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36772

Quote:
But, then, how could I use it with the XRite software to calibrate my computer screens, on which there is absolutely few or no settings at all (for laptop screens)? (meaning impossible to calibrate the computer using Chromapure)

The calibration offsets do not work in other software, at least not automatically. If the other software you us has offsets you can enter, you can manually enter numbers from the calibration report. The Xrite software is bare bones and basic so you can't do these sorts of offsets in their software.

Cheers!

Kal

rinodimar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening to everyone I read this fantastic guide and I managed to calibrate the rec709 and del Of the Jvc dla-rs500. Now I would like to create two calibration profiles bt2020 and dci-p3. Is it possible to have a similar guide to do this kind of work? or can you help me to understand how to do it ??? Thank you

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rinodimar wrote:
Good evening to everyone I read this fantastic guide and I managed to calibrate the rec709 and del Of the Jvc dla-rs500. Now I would like to create two calibration profiles bt2020 and dci-p3. Is it possible to have a similar guide to do this kind of work? or can you help me to understand how to do it ??? Thank you 

Hi!

Different gamuts will mostly just have different targets. So use the new targets instead. (Just like when you want to do rec709 [HD] instead rec601 [SD]).

If you have any specific questions about ChromaPure, you can also email support@chromapure.com

Welcome to the forum!

Kal

steve49730

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently upgraded from Chromapure 2 to 3 and I think I might have made a mistake because I’m not going to be able to calibrate my television.

I have a LG OLED B7. This is a 4K DV and HDR10 capable set. I don’t have a disk player, I have moved across purely to streaming with the majority of my viewing in 4K DV. I have a i1 Display Pro.

Because I don’t have a disk player I can’t calibrate brightness, contrast and sharpness. Is there a technical reason these test patterns aren’t included in Chromapure? Will they ever be? If I have understood what I have read here correctly I can’t calibrate DV, can I? Because most of my viewing is in DV will this make Chromapure redundant? Is there any point me performing a calibration via the internal test patterns without DV or brightness contrast and sharpness?
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you believe that brightness, contrast, and sharpness test patterns are not included in ChromaPure? They are.
DV is not supported for reasons beyond our control.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it says so in the guide at the beginning of this thread.

‘NOTE: Even if you use ChromaPure's internal test patterns, you'll need a calibration disc to set brightness, contrast, and sharpness. These can only be adjusted by eye.’
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be part of very old language that has never been updated. All you have to do is look at the list of test patterns after selecting the Built-in signal generator. One caveat: this is all dependent on the video card. We output PC levels and depend on the video card to convert the HDMI out signal to video levels, which all laptops I have ever used do.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion steve23094! The text you quoted in the guide has now been updated.

Kal

NocnyJastrzab

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I am a new user of Chroma Pure Standard, which I purchased in order to expand my knowledge related to calibration and to learn how to calibrate TVs. Since I have limited resources, I found the built-in patterns to be enough to get me started.
During the first test calibration at my friend's Samsung QE43Q60AAUXXH TV, I encountered the first problem. The TV was connected with an HDMI cable to the laptop, which of course was detected by the TV as a PC source. Unfortunately, in this system I did not have access to typical image modes (including the FilmMaker mode). Some of the options related to the image were also inactive for selection. Of the two Fun / Graphic modes, I measured in Graphic mode and there was some improvement. But these settings only applied to "current source" (hard-wired). I wrote down the values on a piece of paper and set them manually in FilmMaker mode after switching the source, but then it is impossible to verify these settings by measurement.

In one of the posts it was stated that most users do not use built-in patterns.

1. So to what extent are they actually useful?
2. How to display patterns on different signal sources to calibrate each separately? Does this require a different version of ChromaPure and an external signal generator?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

NocnyJastrzab wrote:
1. So to what extent are they actually useful?

The built‐in test patterns offer a an automated method for generating test patterns, similar to how an external test pattern generator. Using built-in test patterns is not ideal if that same PC is not what you use as your signal source. It's always best to use test patterns that originate from the actual source - this will often be a Blu-ray test pattern disc played back on the source used to play your normal content (like your Blu-ray player).

The ChromaPure calibration disc is one popular option that's included for free with any ChromaPure package with a Display 3 PRO and SpyderX PRO meter: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_Calibration_Disc.shtm

The AVS HD 709 disc is a popular free option too that includes patterns in the order expected by ChromaPure: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.948496/

Usually hobbyists will calibrate to their "best" source like one of the discs above in their Blu-ray player and then use those settings for other sources that they can't calibrate to easily (like streaming services as you can't force what you see).

NocnyJastrzab wrote:
The TV was connected with an HDMI cable to the laptop, which of course was detected by the TV as a PC source. Unfortunately, in this system I did not have access to typical image modes (including the FilmMaker mode).

I would see if there's a way to not have the display automatically lock into a specific display mode as having the display force certain settings is less than ideal.

NocnyJastrzab wrote:
2. How to display patterns on different signal sources to calibrate each separately? Does this require a different version of ChromaPure and an external signal generator?

Calibrate using the one source you can control and assume that other sources will output a signal in a similar manner. I.e. Calibrate to Rec.709 using one of the Blu-ray players mentioned above playing on a Blu-ray disc. Then use the same settings you set up in the display for other Rec.709 sources as well. You don't calibrate the source. You calibrate the display.

External signal generators like this one are mostly only used by pros so that they know exactly what they're getting: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_Murideo.shtm

They're not typically used by hobbyists/enthusiasts. The pro version of ChromaPure is required.

Kal

NocnyJastrzab

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, can I also use these patterns stored on a pendrive?
https://www.diversifiedvideosolutions.com/products.html

Their manual indicates the available workflow in Chroma Pure.
Can the flash drive be plugged directly into the TV then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: