Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Going from 1080p to 4k, Calibration hardware required

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Going from 1080p to 4k, Calibration hardware required Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm a home user. Currently I have a Panasonic VT50 plasma which is 1080p and use a DVDO iScan Duo, Chromapure and EyeOne Display 3 Pro meter to calibrate it (in automatic mode). This took the picture from quite average to very lifelike colours.

What I'm wondering is when I upgrade the TV to a 4k one (with all the current HDR type specs) do I need to upgrade anything in order to achieve the same type of calibration and function that the DVDO provides? The thing I like about the DVDO is that the calibration is automatic, it remembers the setting, switches inputs and it upscales lesser content (to 1080p).

Of course the DVDO is limited to 1080p output so that would be one thing - probably want to go to a Radiance 4xxx, or can you do it with a DVDO AVLab TPG 4K, but that doesn't calibrate automatically - correct? It would then require a TV with CMS settings. I suppose an advantage of that is (as I understand) it's the TV that would be calibrated (as opposed to the DVDO output), so I could then keep the DVDO and let the new 4k TV do the upscaling from 1080p to 4k and still use the DVDO for it's inputs and switching. Though that would be a bit of a half hearted approach to it all.

What about the meter? Can I use the EyeOne Display 3 Pro with Chromapure for 4k/HDR etc? Or does that require a fancier meter?
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You don't need to upgrade your meter.
2. The TPG is only a signal generator.
3. You could continue to use the Duo, but you would be limited to 1080p and SDR.
4. The Radiance Pro is the only option for 4K HDR auto-cal. ChromaPure will support that in the next release, which is 3.2.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wfdTamar:

Minor upgrades are free, so if you're already on ChromaPure 3, you'll be able to download 3.2 for free. Otherwise we do offer a discounted upgrade price to go from 2 to 3. See: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Our Radiance units are here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on v.2x. I got it in 2012. By the time my current TV dies and I upgrade there may be a whole new spec (8k?) and associated hardware to go to to go to. Although 4k OLED are very nice and shiny, my current setup is fine for now. You just never know with TV's nowadays - my last one died a few days after the 5 year warranty ran out. This one is ticking along fine for now and those Radiance units are so expensive - more than the new TV will cost. So I'll wait till I have to I think. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: