Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

THE MOD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koldby

TV/Projector: GJAKY modded VDC marquee 9500lc ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So finally I have mounted all the modded boards in my VDC 9500LC ultra.
Works perfectly.
I would not be the best to ask for the exact areas of improvement , but I can tell you it is definitely better , the noise in the pic has been reduced and the general sense of depth has improved .

I have not had too much time to evaluate the boards, but enough to say this:
I think my AV screen now sets the limit for the PQ and of course my limited skills in setting up the projector to get the last 10% out of it.
Unfortunately (or not??) I now get too involved in the film to concentrate on the PQ. Laughing
I still need to do something about the grey scale as well.

Holehartely recommended anyway... Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koldby wrote:
Works perfectly.
I would not be the best to ask for the exact areas of improvement , but I can tell you it is definitely better , the noise in the pic has been reduced and the general sense of depth has improved .

I think my AV screen now sets the limit for the PQ and of course my limited skills in setting up the projector to get the last 10% out of it.
Unfortunately (or not??) I now get too involved in the film to concentrate on the PQ. Laughing

Awesome look forward to more reviews and feedback with these latest boards.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg9518lc wrote:
koldby wrote:
Works perfectly.

The next boards I'll finish will be a set of ULTIMATE VNB-DB with the AD834. I hope I can finish them next week, so maybe I could post some screenshots soon too...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
greg9518lc wrote:
koldby wrote:
Works perfectly.

The next boards I'll finish will be a set of ULTIMATE VNB-DB with the AD834. I hope I can finish them next week, so maybe I could post some screenshots soon too...

Great look forward to the possibilities of taking my projector to the next level. Tfhanks for your efforts on advancing cry projectors.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the work with the ULTIMATE VNB-DB I managed to measure the output speed of the VNB.
The VNB was modified so the whole input opamp circuit is bypassed, and Q19 was directly driven by my pulse generator. Q19 was replaced with a faster transistor, a 2SC3613 (3,5GHz). On the picture the K output is shown, with no apparent load, only the FET probe (~1pF), the output is 60Vpp, the rise time is 3ns on picture. After correcting this with the self rise-time of the generator and the scope we get 2.6ns rise time out of the VNB, that roughly equals 135MHz clean sine bandwidth at -3dB roll off.
I'd like to note here that one should NOT confuse these numbers with pixel clock and so on, the rise time have real meaning, which is well defined.
So far this is the fastest rise time out of a CRT driver I've ever seen.

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the first ULTIMATE VNB-DB set is ready to ship out. Thumbs Up

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
So the first ULTIMATE VNB-DB set is ready to ship out. Thumbs Up

Wow Gabor that looks like quite something. Haven't been following this too closely as of late but is that a gamma adjustment on left card (I assume for blue channel?)? Do you have any photos of test patterns like the ecrabb 0-100IRE SMPTE?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in hurry with the testing, so I haven't made any photos, but if nothing else I'll record the performance when I build my own ULTIMATE VNB-DB next time Smile
In this case the performance is only limited by the neckboard, while testing the board I could not detect any bandwidth limitation on the ULTIMATE VNB-DB board even at full output drive, but my measuring setup is bandwidth limited to around 250MHz so this is not surprise. But this also means the VNB itself limiting the bandwidth. There is a posted neckboard rise time, that measurement was taken on one of the neckboard's used for this project.

The gamma neckboard is for the blue, yes, the gamma circuit BTW is the same as with the AD835 version VNB-DB.

racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics of the package sent from Gabor. I hope to have the projector up and running in a couple weeks. You'll notice that there is not any gobbed on crap covering his secret mods!

MAK

IMG_1267.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.74 KB
 Viewed:  15528 Time(s)

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.94 KB

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.38 KB

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.3 KB

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.18 KB

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.81 KB

IMG_1262.JPG

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair... the "gobbed crap" you are referring to on MP's boards, is no worse than Moome scraping off the numbers of every IC on moome cards. Wink

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
To be fair... the "gobbed crap" you are referring to on MP's boards, is no worse than Moome scraping off the numbers of every IC on moome cards. Wink

Grinded off part numbers still reveal the circuit topology, so one can guess on the used parts based on their pinout, but if something turns out to be wrong the part easily can be replaced.
Using potting material is safer as the potting is selected so it would be hard to remove, not without damaging what's underneath, but this raises problems when a part is needed to be replaced.
Initially I was also leaning towards grinding off the part numbers as well, but later I found out that there is no point in hiding anything these days since the general demand towards CRT projectors is quite low anyway.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the problem with gobbing is when something fails you have to use the dumpster Sad

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
And the problem with gobbing is when something fails you have to use the dumpster Sad

they all do this though
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
there is no point in hiding anything these days since the general demand towards CRT projectors is quite low anyway.

Not sure why you keep posting this when it was your decision to get into the game late, and do so referring to what someone else chose to do. Why not as I've said to you so many times before, just do whatever you desire to do. Why does my putting a material on my work bother you so much?

-------

redfox001 wrote:

I would just like to mention the actual name (Justin) of someone who post here often that I have so much respect for, because he instead always says this before stating something as fact, when he may not know the present situation...he would have said "I can't comment on what Mike is using now, but only on what he was using years ago"

Wouldn't you also agree that you shouldn't state something as fact, when you don't have present fact as a reference?

So while we're at this, let me place the facts on this subject right here: I've been using an entirely different potting material, one that is NOT placed on the common failing components, and no IC's are being covered also. So your statement does not apply, because the boards have been warranted. And no one ever had to throw away a board when it failed because of the potting...unless they removed the potting to attempt a repair. And that of course would void the warranty. This is also why I've simple repaired a failing board regardless of how long they have been out there. If a board needed replacement, that was on me and still is!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
gjaky wrote:
there is no point in hiding anything these days since the general demand towards CRT projectors is quite low anyway.

Not sure why you keep posting this when it was your decision to get into the game late, and do so referring to what someone else chose to do. Why not as I've said to you so many times before, just do whatever you desire to do. Why does my putting a material on my work bother you so much?

I don't know it could be the language barrier between us -as I am not a native english speaker, but the sentence you quoted was missing some key part:

Quote:
but later I found out that there is no point in hiding anything these days since the general demand towards CRT projectors is quite low anyway.

The general interest in CRT projectors fallen in the past few years, this is a fact. -on a side note even you explained a few weeks ago that CRT is dead and that is one of the reasons why you quit offering new mods.- So among from the few who still interested in CRT even less people are interested in my work. I found the risk of someone to copy my work and become a millionaire quite low, so I chosed to put no effort in hiding anything. This was how I meant the sentence you quoted

As for the grinding and potting, Jeremy asked a question in this thread that I created and I compared the grinding and potting how I see, I listed pros and cons for both technique, that does not qualify anyone's work, not sure why you feel offended about that

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
Some pics of the package sent from Gabor. I hope to have the projector up and running in a couple weeks. You'll notice that there is not any gobbed on crap covering his secret mods!

MAK

After all the hoopla you are going to make us wait TWO WEEKS to see how these perform Shocked

I'm going to hold you to that an I expect no delays Wink

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. I have some soldering to do first and then assemble the projector.

MAK
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, all I did was mention my thoughts on grinding the numbers off IC's, never once was I trying to upset anyone here Razz

CRT Projectors are a pretty sensitive topic these days Razz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy! Very Happy

MAK
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solder work done on the LVPS and HDM.

IMG_1271.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.97 KB
 Viewed:  15268 Time(s)

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.64 KB

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.46 KB

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.91 KB

IMG_1268.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: