Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

High Quality Lens Caps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: High Quality Lens Caps Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello guys,

are there any high quality lens caps available for the HD10 and HFQ series of lenses?

Michael
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can use 145mm pinch-type lens caps that are made for some camera lenses.

They'll run you about 100 bucks each, though.
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried those , do they fit perfectly?

any pictures of them on a lens would be great.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't about to drop a hundred bucks on one to find out. I just don't think it's that important to me.

But... this is weird.... by the strangest and most unlikely of coincidences, just today I came into a good supply of VDC
surplus parts which includes rubber lens caps that fit perfectly on HD10 series lenses.

I've got a whole box of 'em.

As you can see, they fit perfectly.

10 bucks each, plus shipping.

It's so funny, I literally did not know these existed this morning and certainly did not know I'd have some by noon.

HD10 rubber caps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  268.48 KB
 Viewed:  9083 Time(s)

HD10 rubber caps.jpg

Last edited by cmjohnson on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hulio

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fotodiox from Illinois make some nice 145mm inner diam. pinch type lens caps ( WonderPana, for just 25 bucks a piece ).
I didn't tried them myself, but if I could find them in Europe I would buy a set for my HFQ-900.
https://fotodioxpro.com/products/wp145-cap-only
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Lens caps Reply with quote

both versions ordered.

will see which one fits better

Michael
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: High Quality Lens Caps Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
are there any high quality lens caps available for the HD10 and HFQ series of lenses?

Just curious Michael, but why do you want them?

The outer elements in these (or pretty much any lens) isn't something you need to keep perfectly clean or even dust free as it's nowhere near the focal point. Try this test: dangle a penny on a string directly in front of one of the lenses while using the CRT projector and you'll note that it doesn't even show up on the screen. So small bits of dust or the normal stuff that'll accumulate on the glass won't have any effect. My first CRT projector had a fairly large (pinky fingernail sized) wide scratch in the glass and it did nothing to the image. The whole surface area is used to make the image.

Coupled with the fact that CRT projectors are usually one the ceiling (out of harm's way) and most CRT owners never use covers. I know I never did with any of my units for the ~12 years I used CRT projectors.

Caps for photography lenses (especially on the short end near the sensor/film) make sense as they get thrown around in camera bags.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caps for lenses while the unit is being serviced, or if the lenses are off for service or transport, makes sense.

Dust on the lenses will affect contrast ratio, eventually, if it cakes thickly enough, but a little dust will harm nothing
on the outer element.

However I prefer to keep lens caps on my projector when not in use. Keeping things clean is always easier than
cleaning them later.

I have actually found spiderwebs across the face of a lesns before.
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're telling me, duh Shocked

no, seriously, I just want to have something that's there.

I've seen millionaires blowing off the fine dust for minutes before they watched

something on their Cine 9's.

So I need a cheap rubber cap to just tell them I'm smarter Laughing

Michael
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Dust on the lenses will affect contrast ratio, eventually, if it cakes thickly enough, but a little dust will harm nothing on the outer element.

However I prefer to keep lens caps on my projector when not in use. Keeping things clean is always easier than
cleaning them later.

I guess it depends on what sort of environment you live in. Over the ~12 years I used CRT projectors I never found there to be any dust buildup on the lenses, or need to ever clean them. This is a house with central air, I use the cheapest ($3) furnace filters, probably don't vacuum as often as I should. Wink

Kal

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. But I'm in the habit of using them, so why change?

Besides, I've got WAY too many projectors and lenses in storage and waiting to find new homes,
that are not in an air conditioned environment, so I'm glad to have plenty of lens caps for all of them.

If I should have a good lucky lottery ticket come my way, I could not only build a home theater room,
I could build a 12-plex and put an Ultra or a G90 in every one of them! And have at least one spare.
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any more pics of the piles and piles of projectors?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe.

I just found a home for one G90, so the fleet is down to 13.

Not all are G90s, of course. In total I have eight Marquee chassis.

And, enough red and green C elements to equip every last one of them, for those that don't already have them.

8 projectors.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.87 KB
 Viewed:  8980 Time(s)

8 projectors.jpg

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: High Quality Lens Caps Reply with quote

kal wrote:
nidi wrote:

Just curious Michael, but why do you want them?

The outer elements in these (or pretty much any lens) isn't something you need to keep perfectly clean or even dust free as it's nowhere near the focal point. Try this test: dangle a penny on a string directly in front of one of the lenses while using the CRT projector and you'll note that it doesn't even show up on the screen. So small bits of dust or the normal stuff that'll accumulate on the glass won't have any effect. My first CRT projector had a fairly large (pinky fingernail sized) wide scratch in the glass and it did nothing to the image. The whole surface area is used to make the image.

Coupled with the fact that CRT projectors are usually one the ceiling (out of harm's way) and most CRT owners never use covers. I know I never did with any of my units for the ~12 years I used CRT projectors.

Caps for photography lenses (especially on the short end near the sensor/film) make sense as they get thrown around in camera bags.

Kal

They are useful for three things:

1) when calibrating a set up and needing to prevent light contamination from one channel to the others.
2) protecting lenses during shipping.
3) keeping children's finger prints and dog saliva off your lens when PJ is floor mounted...it happens

While the last one doesn't affect the image it's annoying none the less.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

Though get that PJ off the floor - you're giving up the best seat in the house! Wink

Kal

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Good points.

Though get that PJ off the floor - you're giving up the best seat in the house! Wink

Kal

That issue has been rectified in my new theater Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got the caps in from them:

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/wp145-cap-only

they do not lock onto the HFQ900 lenses, so the rubber ones are the ones to get.

Michael
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Maybe.

I just found a home for one G90, so the fleet is down to 13.

Not all are G90s, of course. In total I have eight Marquee chassis.

And, enough red and green C elements to equip every last one of them, for those that don't already have them.

That metallic purple G90 sure makes itself known Wink Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know how close I am to painting a second unit to match it. I figure at this rate I'll be stuck with the rest for a long, long time,
so why not do a blend on them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: