Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My new JVC digital projector (DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
garyfritz wrote:
The RS46 would be very nice, but it's 3D, so I'd be paying for something I don't want. The only one I can find for sale at the moment is $2800 "like new," which is well above my pain point. RS46's must be available cheaper than that -- I can get a refurb RS55 for that price.

There's a refurb RS45 (so like-new, probably new bulb) on ebay for $1550. More do-able but still more than I really want to spend. Missed a good chance with the $800 RS45 with new bulb.

I'm wondering what "older models" Spanky had in mind.

I don't know that you can get any recent JVC without getting 3D. Even the RS-45 has it I believe. If you want to get something without 3D I think the RS-35 and below will fit the bill. I'm not an expert though so maybe there's a more recent JVC projector without 3D.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the RS45 has 3D capability. It's really not a reason not to buy the unit. I don't use 3D and don't care about it but its presence does not seem to harm the unit's picture at all.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15/25/35 were the last of the non-3Ds. You get a jump in brightness with the move to 3D even if you don't use it, which I don't care for. I have seen very little 3D that I thought was good. I know Kris Deering thought his 35 was good enough that he didn't feel the need to upgrade until I think the 56.

Check the AVS classifieds. I saw a 4910 for $1500. If you want to wait, then I may unload my 25 with a couple of bulbs after Cedia.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you simply can't get a projector that doesn't have 3D these days. Very few of them don't have it - and almost none of the projectors that we're looking at (mid-to-upper range home theater) don't have it unless you go pretty old.

Also, the newer (RS-45 and up) have a finer control of the iris than the older JVC's, so you can really dial it in to get that perfect 12-16 ftL (whatever your preference) and those inky blacks.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, I don't think 3D adds to the cost as (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it's all software based and they worked in that feature some time ago. It's not like they had 2 different lines either (3D vs. non-3D). Everything had 3D once JVC added the feature. Just don't use it (I don't).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, OK. Hadn't thought of it like that. What about 4k? I assume that actually ads real production cost? (As opposed to artificial new-whizzy price increases just because people will pay it?) Or is e-shift a purely software feature too??
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing needed for 3D is the ability to support the required refresh rate and trigger the 3D glasses.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Hm, OK. Hadn't thought of it like that. What about 4k? I assume that actually ads real production cost? (As opposed to artificial new-whizzy price increases just because people will pay it?) Or is e-shift a purely software feature too??

4K is completely different hardware due to the increased pixel count on the panels, increased bandwidth, etc. It's a major redesign so will cost more. Eventually (if/when) 4K becomes standard that tech will trickle down.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. I haven't paid any attention to 4k so I wasn't sure if it actually used a higher-res panel, or if they did it with e-shift trickery or the like.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some projectors are 4K native. They're better but of course at a higher price point.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
OK, thanks. I haven't paid any attention to 4k so I wasn't sure if it actually used a higher-res panel, or if they did it with e-shift trickery or the like.

IMHO, any trickery wouldn't make a projector a true 4K projector. For a projector or any display to be considered really 4K, it has to be able to take a 4K signal and display it natively with a panel that has 4K pixels.

Kal

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D is on almost all pjs these days. The new 4k shift DLPs don't have it for some reason, but they may get it later. LG has deleted it from their OLEDs this year. Either way, it isn't going to change the cost of the pj.

As Kal said, real 4k is with a native panel. The shifts are a good compromise at this point. I know you aren't interested, but don't fall for the new 4k shift DLPs as being native 4k. They honestly look like sh$t anyway and I can't imagine anyone on this forum being happy with 1500 to 1 cr.

I think 4k is going to be out of your budget for awhile. Rumor has it that Sony is going to have a cheaper 4k, but that will still probably be $5k. A couple of years ago Rod Sterling told us that they showed their 4k pjs and shift pjs to customers. Once cost was taken into consideration, they thought the shifts were good enough.You can looks at Jav's pics to see what you think. He has the original pic a couple of posts later.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2906889-jvc-dla-x5900-x7900-x9900-jvc-will-introduce-3-new-dla-models-ifa-berlin-2017-a-10.html
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I see differences in those pictures he posted, but they aren't huge. Especially considering those pix are zoomed in on a small fraction of the screen. Sitting at 1.2x screen width, I would never be able to tell the difference without binoculars. Very Happy That just proves to me that 4k is a waste of money for me.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing you don't want to push your budget over the $2k mark, so the new JVCs would be out. While 4k probably has no interest, UHD does bring other things like wider color gamut. I wouldn't worry about it right now.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I am guessing you don't want to push your budget over the $2k mark, so the new JVCs would be out. While 4k probably has no interest, UHD does bring other things like wider color gamut. I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Just curious as to what you think of the new wider gamut that most devices are now pushing. My opinion is that the only wide gamut device that will truly be worth it is rec 2020, because it seems that's ultimately where we're headed, and that P3 is just a stop-gap. And if anyone was looking to buy a projector now - it would make more sense to get a good one that did 709 and then wait until the 2020's are priced reasonably.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory it should be better. Honestly, I haven't done a competent comparison between all of them. I will say that for me I have in the past wanted higher bit and wider color before more resolution. 4k with good material looks great, but I don't sit real close to the screen.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much difference a wider gamut really makes. I don't feel like I'm missing any colors with Rec709. Sure there are colors outside the triangle but they're not much different from colors inside the triangle. Is a wider gamut really going to look that different?
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While blue doesn't change a lot, you do get an expanded green and red. For some it might be subtle and others it might be a big difference.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I wonder how much difference a wider gamut really makes. I don't feel like I'm missing any colors with Rec709. Sure there are colors outside the triangle but they're not much different from colors inside the triangle. Is a wider gamut really going to look that different?

I suspect it only matters to people who edit video/photo for a living and those who just HAVE to have the correct colorspace for the material they're watching. But to me it seems useless to go wide gamut until you can get your hands on a rec 2020 device because it seems that's where the movie industry is headed. How manufacturers are allowed to sell "HDR compatible" sets that fall far from rec 2020 seems almost criminal to me. Shady marketing at best, false advertising at worst. They should have waited until rec 2020 was in most sets being sold before slapping the HDR label on things but whatever. Now they're just going to have some movies that conform to P3, some that conform to 2020 - some that do neither but have expanded brightness. It's going to be a mess.

Whereas with blu ray discs you can pretty much bet that it's rec 709. Resolution will vary, but colorspace should always be 709.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the size of the gamut is not as important as it is to have the gamut of the display match the gamut of the source so color reproduction is accurate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16
Jump to: