Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Best fans for Sony 1292 -> noise reduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Best fans for Sony 1292 -> noise reduction Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys,

what are the best fans for lowering the noise of this beast ?

cheers
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Silent X fan Reply with quote

You can Try in the two main fans: silenx ixtrema pro series 120mmx38mm IXPT 76-18 18dBA and silenx 80mm for the others. The 120mm's are thicker than the originals(25mm vs 38mm), but will fit and keep even cooler (than the original fans) the guts of the 1292
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO and experience there isn't a PC style silent fan that can develop enough static pressure and air flow in a CRT case without shorting the PJ's life. Poor air flow and turbulence.

Hush box IMO is the answer.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=655&mode=next

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=875

[/url]

rosenbush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: colder Reply with quote

After 1 hr on, 5 degrees colder with the new fans (Remember the new ones are thicker than the originals), measures taken with old and new fans from inside the electronics. IN BOTH CASES WITH THE GRILLES REMOVED (You'll need to cut the plastic cover to help air flow). Hush box will cut any sound possible but I didn't like that option. It's up to you
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: colder Reply with quote

rosenbush wrote:
After 1 hr on, 5 degrees colder with the new fans (Remember the new ones are thicker than the originals), measures taken with old and new fans from inside the electronics.

What are you measuring exactly when you say "inside the electronics"?

If you're just measuring air, then it's normal for it to be colder - that's because more heat is staying inside the electronics, frying them!

When I did a bunch of SilenX fan mods over 10 years ago, the heat sink temperatures throughout my projector went up a lot. I taped probes against various heatsinks and ran the projector for hours with stock fans and silenX.

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3606&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

SilenX just doesn't have as much static pressure as most stock fans. Put anything in front of them and the CFM drops considerably. They just can't push well. I put back the stock fans and built a hushbox instead.

In most projectors, especially a 1292 that seems to have the cooling added as an afterthought instead of part of the design to keep it quiet, most of the noise isn't the fans but air turbulence. Take the stock fan out and run it in open air. It's pretty quiet. Now put it back in the projector and you get a bunch of noise.

My hushbox build is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Hushbox1.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
rosenbush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: colder Reply with quote

Hi Kal.

Yes, I read your article in the past when I was installing my PJ. Great work with that. But the Hush Box wasnt an option, for me, so I tryied a different aproach.

-Inside electronics- I mean the interior of PJ just back of the Tubes, and a couple places more. (I did not recall exactly where, was some years ago)

-measuring air- I agree, That is totally useless, The inner parts temp is whats matter

I had the same experience: SilenX can not replace the originals fans with the same size, just doesnt keep the enough air flow. You can not put a wider fan to increase the airflow, just it wont fit on the PJ, but you can put a thicker fan, wich, accordly to specs of the Silenx webpage, It will get much more airflow with the same 120mm. In the paper looks good, but I need it to try in the real life, because need to know, IF they will fit in the PJ and IF they will keep the Temp in correct range. There was only a way to find out, so I get the fans, I was able to put in the same position as the originals, and after several test I find out the Temp was in fact lower than with the original fans.

That was about six-seven years ago, when I was installing my 1292. Still watching 2 or 3 times a week, no problems at all.

I´ll need to add:

-I get lower fan noise, but still you can hear them
- hush box, is better solution (absolute no sound at all and better airflow) , just wasnt for me
- My experience can not be considered as a fact, as several factors must be considered, it works for me, it may work or not in your case, just trying to help.

have fun with your 1292, its a beautiful machine.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: colder Reply with quote

rosenbush wrote:
I had the same experience: SilenX can not replace the originals fans with the same size, just doesnt keep the enough air flow. You can not put a wider fan to increase the airflow, just it wont fit on the PJ, but you can put a thicker fan, wich, accordly to specs of the Silenx webpage, It will get much more airflow with the same 120mm.

I think you're confusing CFM with static pressure. I looked at a SilenX 120mm fan page, like this one here:

http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=efx-12-12

All they give is CFM. That's a useless spec as it tells you nothing about how the fan will perform in real life. What you need is a graph showing how static pressure changes with back pressure. A graph like this is what is needed (to use a completely different fan - one I use in my brewery to exhaust steam):

But SilenX doesn't provide this sort of graph, so who knows how much air it actually moves once installed and some backpressure is applied.

Maybe SilenX fans are better today, but years ago when I did a bunch of tests with various models the only reason they were quieter was because they didn't move as much air.

Kal

Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Airflow & heat on a G90 Reply with quote

Hi,

I made some thermal measurements on my G90, stil sitting on a bench.

I used
- an air velocity sensor (thermal wire type) with incorporated temperature sensor
- an infrared camera

At startup I measured (SI units):
Front: 0,2-0,3 m/s @ 24°C
Back: 1,5-2,0 m/s @ 24°C

After 90 minutes watching a movie I measured:
Front: 0,2-0,3 m/s @ 26°C (the room has heated up a bit)
Back: 1,8-2,3 m/s @ 35-40°C (most heat on left side, most speed around Stdby-Indicator)

Looking in the service manual I noticed the front fan is NOT temperature controlled like the other 4 fans. Its always running at nominal speed.

I took some thermal pics of front electronics after unscrewing the front shield. Although the airflow is not very strong (0,3m/s max) there is nothing inside going much beyond 50°C (bright yellow).

I guess the fan blows into the main housing, where the airflow is going towards the large fans and expelled through the backside. I find it strange the front-fan is doing so little in terms of air velocity. I wonder why the pressure generated by the main fans wouldn't suffice to suck in the same amount of air from the front? Or is the air from the front-fan going somewhere else?

cheers
Martin

IR_00260.jpg
 Description:
The back, obviously.
 Filesize:  225.25 KB
 Viewed:  5980 Time(s)

IR_00260.jpg

IR_00262.jpg
 Description:
peeking through the left hole in the plastic cover on the front side.

IR_00262.jpg

IR_00263.jpg
 Description:
peeking through the right hole on the front side.

IR_00263.jpg

IR_00267.jpg
 Description:
The radiator on the lower board, from the side where the components are bolted on.

IR_00267.jpg

IR_00265.jpg
 Description:
The frontside, with the cover off.

IR_00265.jpg

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Very cool (pun intended)
I bought a set of SilenX low noise fans for the G90 from William Phelps back when fan swaps were all the rage, but never installed them. TBH the fan noise from the pj blends into background for most of the movies I watch on the G90. I wasn't willing to sacrifice long-term durability. Might be a different decision for the 1292 which I think is noisier than a G90. A ventilated hush box would be the optimal solution.
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm puzzled with is why there is so few of an airflow on the frontside, given so much noise!

If I would just omit this fan, would the remaining (much larger) opening to the back be sufficient for the main fans to suck the same quantitiy of air in?

Confused

Martin
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apfelmousse wrote:
What I'm puzzled with is why there is so few of an airflow on the frontside, given so much noise!

Fans on Sony projectors appear to be added as an afterthought, not as part of the design from the start. So there's lots of air turbulence/noise.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: