Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

More G70 Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
cmjohnson wrote:
I would not worry about it. What you lose in ducted airflow with the case open is likely more than offset by the free-flowing convection currents that you get with the cover off.

My Marquee in my HT room has been running with the covers OFF for quite some time now. It runs cooler with no covers than
buttoned up with airflow being directed through its engineered airflow system.

I've noted the same thing with my G90s. Cover off and hatch lifted, it runs cooler in the tube box than if it's buttoned up and I then open it and check in the tube box.

Curt and/or Kal, can you weigh on this too? Since you guys have repaired a bunch of units over the years. Not to discount your advice Chris - I've always been under the impression that the G70 especially shouldn't be run with the chassis open on the ceiling because it's thermally-challenged.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably depends on the projector.

Some use the cover to funnel air through specific parts / heat sinks to remove heat, so removing the cover would make things run hotter.

The first thing I'd ask is, how do you know it's running cooler? How, where, and what exactly are you measuring to determine that? The correct way to do it would be to place a electronic temp probe on various heat sinks one at a time and run it cover on and off with the same signal for at least an hour to tell. (I've done this a few times in the past when trying out different fan models to see the impact - takes a couple of days to test given that you want to test multiple spots).

P.S. I'm not intimately familiar with the Sony G70/90 or the Ehome chassis so I can't comment on those models, but with the Barco's I'm familiar with, having the covers on definitely helps as it creates channels of airflow for the fans to suck air over the heatsinks in most of the models I've owned. Remove the cover and now the fans at the back are simply sucking in air from outside the projector instead of funneling air through the projector. Cool/fresh air blowing across a heat sink will always cool better than simple convection. That's why PC CPU heatsinks have fans attached to them.

If in doubt, with any projector leave the cover on as that's what the cooling system expects to see / what the fans are designed for. In many cases removing the case means the fans are no longer moving air through the chassis at all...

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just eyeing the G70 and you can see that it's not very good on thermals with the chassis open. The fans in the rear draw air from the front and over the convergence, deflection, and focus boards. Opening the chassis would reduce the amount of airflow to all boards. Also - when you turn the G70 upside down, the hot air has nowhere to go as there aren't vents on the bottom where the motherboard is. The heat would just bake there and not pulled out as much.

I'm not trying to be contrary - I just got my projector working again, and with all the drama the previous year (yes - it's been a year now), I don't want to subject it to any unnecessary punishment. I may just do the CPC adjustments on the ground. Surely getting it perfect on the ground would at least make it an improvement from what it is already when I ceiling mount it? And surely it would be dialed in enough so that if it wasn't visibly the same, a quick electronic adjustment would take care of it?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Just eyeing the G70 and you can see that it's not very good on thermals with the chassis open. The fans in the rear draw air from the front and over the convergence, deflection, and focus boards. Opening the chassis would reduce the amount of airflow to all boards.

Same as the Barco's I've owned. Best to run with the cover on with those models otherwise the fans at the back are not sucking air across the parts you want them to cool.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a pedestal fan to blow air into the projector while you are doing the adjustments.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:

I've always been under the impression that the G70 especially shouldn't be run with the chassis open on the ceiling because it's thermally-challenged.
Certainly I wouldn't run with the covers off; but thermally challenged, I wouldn't go that far. My PJ (ceiling mount) is in my basement so 65-75 F ambient year round. I've done multiple full setups with the covers open for hours with no issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: