Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The Abyss 4K

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: The Abyss 4K Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I dreamt I saw The Abyss last night, with a few old friends.. and for the first time in Bluray, and when it first opened up its wings at the beginning, I wept like a kid! I hope I will get the same reaction with the real thing. It was so freaking sharp and beautiful - for once - and can't wait for the 2017 Bluray/4K image on my CRT or OLED. Its' going to be a treat!

Preferably my CRT, as that is no joke to me! Mr. Green

/
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great movie! The CG's a bit dated but I'm able to look past that!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rights holder overplayed their waiting game. I've seen this movie enough in HD to not care to buy it. Maybe 10 years ago, or even five, but not today.

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Movie. Was this natively shot in 4K?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:

Better. It was shot on film.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned on a German website it looks like. Made a Google translate from the text. I take for granted the extras shows how the restoration process took place, I love bits like that.

https://www.foto-tv-deals.de/the-abyss-in-full-hd-und-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-kommt-2017/

The Abyss "in Full HD and 4K - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc comes 2017

March 20, 2017

Reports on a possible release of "The Abyss" have been in circulation for years. Speculation has already been released about a 25th anniversary of James Cameron's science fiction film. Nothing happens in 2014 - at least from the perspective of the "Abyss" fans. However, this year the film is finally to be released on Blu-ray Disc. Also a release on Ultra HD Blu-ray is very likely. All "Facts and Figures" we have summarized for you.

The Abyss - 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray

Official information on the subject is not available yet, that James Cameron's "The Abyss" but the way to Blu-ray Disc and to find on Ultra HD Blu-ray is considered safe. The release is scheduled to take place during the year. Probably a publication towards the end of the year, so that for Christmas attractive offers the round.

Even with "Titanic" and other films by James Cameron extreme care was put into the port on Blu-ray Disc. "The Abyss" has also advanced to the prestige project. Already months ago, James Cameron has confirmed that for "The Abyss" a new 4k scan was created. Most likely you will be on the 25 minute longer Special Edition from the film. In addition, Twentieth Century Fox presumably also on HDR-10, so the viewer not only benefits from the 4k resolution, but also from a high contrast range and more details (see blu-ray.com). James Cameron then gave the following statement to HDR:

We've done a wet-gate 4K scan of the original negative, and it's going to look insanely good. We're going to be the author of Blu-ray and HDR at the same time.

The films of James Cameron were not only released as HD Keep Case in the past. Also possible is a special edition, as for example "Titanic". There the film (3D + 2D) was released in a special edition, which was modeled on a part of the RMS Titanic.

Last edited by thewolfman on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old film. Analog still proving itself. No pun meant J.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:

35mm is kinda sorta the equivalent of 4K so - yes? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: