Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need a cheap way to blend 2 projectors (not a PC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Need a cheap way to blend 2 projectors (not a PC) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So what's the lowest cost means you've yet seen for doing a two projector blend, but not using a PC to do it?

I don't mind if it's not an ultimate quality blend unit, I just need something to set up a blend with and cheaper is better.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not the PC route? Just curious.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm not going the PC route for this. End of story.

Let's not do this again. I ask for some input on how to do something a SPECIFIC way, and people jump in and try to suggest
that I do it a different way instead when that is NOT the method I intend to use for my own reasons.

That's happened more than once. And I'm not doing it.

So, if you know of any low cost (relatively speaking) blend solution that is NOT a PC, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks for any help you might offer.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no cheap way to do it outside of a PC because you need to purchase what's basically a box running software and hardware like a PC, all dedicated, so it's basically a PC but with dedicated/managed software & hardware so it's going to be more expensive than if you went with a 'regular' PC.

I know you don't want to do it with a PC, but in case you change your mind this is a good place to start: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18404

For dedicated, non-PC, the now defunct TVOne C2-2250 video processor used to be one of the cheaper ways I believe: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/tvone-c2-2255a.html

May be hard to find as it's discontinued. You'll need two, so that's $5000. There's one on eBay now for $300 however.

Don't forget you need two Moome HDMI input cards on the projector as well.

Odds are as well that unless you luck out and are able to carefully colour match the blend zone, it'll be noticeable that it's a blend (but you don't seem to care about quality so that may be fine). If you do want it truly seamless, you'll need two Video processors that will have a Full CMS like the Radiance : www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

If you do change your mind about doing it in PC you may already have everything you need / can do it for next to free. Most people go that way as it's either pay $5-10K or more for a dedicated hardware solution, or put the effort into learning how it do it on PC for next to free. Keep in mind that the dedicated H/W solution still requires a lot of knowledge/tweaking. The PC method will require some knowledge of how PCs work.

Other good threads:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18406
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/1459373-help-blending-2-g-90-s.html
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36160
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38542

If you search around the forum there will be more as it's been discussed quite a bit over the years.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Because I'm not going the PC route for this. End of story.

People are generally trying to help. The reason Jeremy asks is that the PC route is considerably cheaper and may even be less work.

When someone asks how to do something like you're doing here, it's because they don't know how to do it in the first place, they don't understand the ins and outs of the subject (if they did, they wouldn't be asking in the first place). So it's normal for people to offer up the simplest solution because the person asking may not know about simpler ways and should be thankful for a way to save great time and expense.

Jeremy asking "why" isn't to poke at you. He wasn't even suggesting you go PC. It's to understand what your limitations are and why they exist. Knowing that allows people to help you better. In this case the reasons you don't want a PC may limit some other solutions because the reasons may be similar.

Saying "I have my reasons and I'm not going to tell you" doesn't help anyone help you. You're shooting yourself in the foot. It's also condescending.

This is a discussion forum where people post for enjoyment. Some will give up their time to help others too. If you want people to help you for free, you have to be willing to discuss. If you dictate strict terms around which people are allowed to carry on a discussion with you when they help you for free, people simply won't help. Why would they?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, but you know that in the recent past people have insisted on offering solutions to me which simply don't fit the requirement and it became difficult to actually get people to NOT recommend what I already excluded as an option.
When that happens repeatedly, it begins to wear.

A couple of TV Ones sounds like something that would fit the bill, thank you for that suggestion.
I'll check it out and will eventually find a second one.

I really don't want to buy another PC and have to deal with setting it up and all that entails, and all that just for what is basically a temporary or test setup.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:

I really don't want to buy another PC and have to deal with setting it up and all that entails, and all that just for what is basically a temporary or test setup.

See there's my answer. Thanks Chris. That's all I was wondering.

I have looked into PC blending previously and it looks like it was getting easier and cheaper. So much so you can do it with older hardware. Hope you find a couple of blending boxes that fit your bill on ebay.

Cheers

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for use in my garage/workshop, at least at first. There's alread enough stuff in there ( and more!!! ) and adding a pc pretty much demands adding another table and a desktop pc is just not vert portable.

If I had more space and a dedicated full-time workshop, different story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: