Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What's the "go to" calibration blu-ray disc these
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
napos

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Chris, I think the Lumagen you have will accept 1080p24, but not1080p60. You can output 1080p48 or 1080p60.
I used to have the Vision HDP. Check the manual to make sure.

Nicholas

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I do have a Lumagen VisionPro HDP scaler which is not installed in my system, but it does offer 11 point gamma correction.

The catch is, its digital connections are DVI and it's limited to 1080i input. Currently I'm running 1080p direct from BD player to Moome input card and it's all on HDMI. So switching over to the Lumagen unit will be a compromise.

But I'm already dealing with a compromise, so all I'm doing if I switch over is choosing which compromise I want to accept.

I suppose I could get some HDMI to DVI cables and give it a test run. I know the player can output 1080i.

But then I have to figure out if I'd get a better image from 1080i or 720p input.

It'd be easier if I had a more modern processor that passes 1080p thru on HDMI, But I don't have that and don't really
have the budget for any NEW equipment right now.

I have a VisionPro HDP and it will indeed handle 1080p/24 input via DVI. Just make sure you have the latest firmware.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. But I don't know the service menu password which I will need to access the gamma correction.
napos

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
That's good news. But I don't know the service menu password which I will need to access the gamma correction.

menu, 0, 9, 1, 0

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently looking for my null modem adapter. I will be checking the firmware version on the unit tonight. If I find the adapter, I'll be updating it if required.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lumagen hooked up to the Marquee and it's running. The every other line test patterns show that this is indeed quite a sharp projector and it's not even my sharpest one. The vertical lines are so clear that it's obvious that it can resolve higher resolutions than 1080p with ease. I had to check to be sure it was actually outputting 1080p because the contrast between the lines is so high that I thought it might be a lower resolution I was looking at.

Can't find a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter so I ordered one. Still hoping to find that RS232 null modem somewhere, because the Lumagen's firmware is so far out of date that it won't take 1080p24 inputs.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable on order, Lumagen update just got done, fired up the old DVL-90 laserdisc player to give it something to process and display, while waiting for a cable to arrive for the BD player.

The DVL-90 needs a service call. It works but it's clearly not the machine it once was. Needs alignment, and likely belts, too.
napos

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your bluray player output 1080i via component? If so, try it out while you wait for the dvi-hdmi adaptor. I remember my HDP doing a really good job upscalling 1080i to 1080p48 and 1080p60.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure one of them does. If I can find cables for it. I think I threw all my component video cables out years ago.

By the time I get around to finding some cables locally, my DVI to HDMI cable should already be here.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'm sure one of them does. If I can find cables for it. I think I threw all my component video cables out years ago.

By the time I get around to finding some cables locally, my DVI to HDMI cable should already be here.

Bestbuy probably has the adapter in stock as well as a cable. I dislike them for overpriced items. Anyhow, carry on.

MAK
napos

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime you could use a couple of regular stereo rca cables to connect your bluray via component.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small snag even in that idea: The Lumagen scaler has all BNC connectors. The sources all have RCA connectors and not BNCs.

I can't find my adapters. I definitely have (had) some. Not sure where they went off to.

So, no joy until I find them or get new ones.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five bucks: http://amzn.to/2q4P8Fv

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the HDMI to DVI cable. Great, now I'm running into an HDCP permission issue.

I was under the impression that I had one of those HDMI splitters that deletes HDCP. Well, apparently not!

HDCP is as stupid as seatbelts on a horse.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I was under the impression that I had one of those HDMI splitters that deletes HDCP. Well, apparently not!

Only the 'illegal' ones that are masquerading as a splitter do that.

Quote:

Agreed.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
cmjohnson wrote:

Only the 'illegal' ones that are masquerading as a splitter do that.

Quote:

Agreed.

Kal

Please make that your sig line Chris! That's classic.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done!

Oddly enough, there actually is such a thing as seatbelts on a horse saddle. It's for certain "special needs" people who would have a hard time staying seated otherwise.

But for most people, it's useless and funny!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: