Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Tube phosphor question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Tube phosphor question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi there!

I recently purchased a blue tube on ebay for my Sony 1251. Tube seems good overall but theres this weird black line on the phosphor surface? What could cause this and is there anything I can do for it? Also would this affect the picture anway?

http://imgur.com/a/uqezX

Thanks, Eemil

Last edited by Meemil on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you see on the phosphor surface will be seen on the screen. That black line is probably a scan line burn or deflection burn.

The good news is, flaws in a blue tube are least noticeable. Green tube flaws can not be missed, red flaws are pretty easy to spot, and you can get away with a lot more in the way of blue flaws before it really interferes with viewing.
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! And alright, I was a bit afraid of that. I still hope replacing the old tube with the new will be an improvement. Here's old vs new comparison: http://imgur.com/a/81zy2

Cheers, Eemil
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn seems like this ain't going to be easy on me. Just replaced the tube, everything went smoothly except when i power it on. Tube starts flickering very fast (kinda like shrinking and expanding) and making this clicking noise. I've rechecked all the connections but can't find any problems really.

As a side note, the tube is 07msp, not 07mp my PJ takes but afaik they're interchangeable.

Cheers,
Eemil
thelasernut

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar fault in a 4inch tube in my Rank Cintel Medium Screen projector - I managed to destroy a green CRT when a decoupling capacitor went S/C so I changed the tube for the spare - only to find it was faulty and gave rapidly expanding pictures.

Close examination of the tube face revealed a lne running all the way around the phosphor where it had somehow become separated from the internal matalising so what was happening was that the EHT was jumping the gap to charge up the phosphor to give normal picture but as the phosphor discharged effectively reducing the EHT the picture expanded until the difference was enought to cause another flashover to recharge the phosphor again.

No idea how this happened but the tube was completely unusable and so had been changed for the good spare before I aquired the projector and had been put back in the new tubes box - another example of Sod's Law,
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the strangest CRT fault I ever heard of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: