Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What am I doing wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good afternoon all,

A couple of times, I've tried to calibrate my DLP projector (Yamaha DPX-1200 if you need the model number) using my old DTP-94 colorimeter and I've had terrible luck. I just cannot position the puck to see the screen properly it seems. I'm very sure that my meter isn't broken (it has no problem reading direct view displays).

I'm using HCFR and using Argyll CMS drivers for it, if that makes a difference.

And yes Kal - I'm aware that my meter is old and I probably need a new one for more guaranteed results. But I have what I have at the moment. I would love to afford an i3 Display and a spectro to recal it every time but I cannot afford to do so. Very Happy Thanks in advance.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "I just cannot position the puck to see the screen properly" what do you mean exactly? What problem(s) are you having exactly?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
When you say "I just cannot position the puck to see the screen properly" what do you mean exactly? What problem(s) are you having exactly?

Kal

Whenever I try to take a reading from the screen, I'm getting some really "off" measurements. If I do a full white screen, for example, HCFR says that it's only getting a reading of Y = 7 (which is measured in cd/m2 or nits I believe). There's absolutely no way that the meter can be seeing the screen correctly because 7 cd/m2 is pretty dark. I don't remember the exact ft lamberts measurement but it's super low. Which can't be right because the light output is very much bright enough for movie viewing.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 cd/m2 is only about 2 foot lamberts so definitely not normal. That's really dim. Not sure why it's happening. Assuming you're not reading the shadow.

Normally you face the screen and play with it a bit until you max out the Y value and go from there.

Kal

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a shot again tonight. I should have some time. I think I'm reading the shadow. Where should I place the meter? My projector is table mounted and is a DLP projector, so only a single source of light.

I want to place it near the screen but obviously the closer I get the more prone to reading its shadow the meter becomes. Do I need to hold the meter at an angle?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angle is definitely required. See the instructions and pics here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Kal

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well I was able to get the meter to read a little better but it was only 20 cd/m2 at the brightest iris mode of the projector. It's a new bulb (only 175 hours) and only projecting on a 92 inch 1.3 gain screen - not to mention it's pretty damn bright, so I'm sure I need to experiment more. I will probably need a tripod as my arm was tired after walking around the room and holding my meter up. Very Happy Thanks for the help Kal.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking around the room? Put the meter a few inches from the screen. If you're more than a foot or two away, you may be picking up dark areas.

See the instructions and pics for meter placement in the link I posted earlier:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: