Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cine8 Onyx, BG 808s, conversions and resolutions and blends?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Cine8 Onyx, BG 808s, conversions and resolutions and blends? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys!

As some of you may or may not know I recently picked up a Cine8 Onyx with 446 hours on the set. I also own a BG808s with 11000-odd hours on the set with new tubes. I would like to pick your brains on theoretical and actual limitations regarding blending, resolutions and whatnot.

The idea? Convert 808s to Cine8 Onyx clone, then blend.

Cine8 Onyx: Dump the HD215 lenses and replace with HD18 and matching C-elements. (I already have a set of HD18 on the way)
Q: Is there another 8" alternative to the HD18 that might have better resolution? Throw distance should be about the same as a HD145.

As for the 808s conversion: I already have the LC chambers with some used tubes and clear C-elements. The idea is to copy the tube mounting bridges of the Onyx and install these. I will need a set of new tubes and convert the neckboard sockets for the different tubes. Will also need another set of HD18 and C elements. FIX the damn beam limiter circuit as it's doing the traditional candlelight flicker (and yes I would rather fix it then just disconnect it).

Q: From what I read, this PJ (BG808s) should be able to handle 1080P with no problems. I have not done much testing yet, but I hooked up my PS4 through a HDFury (first version with DVI connector) earlier, and while I got a stable picture that I could adjust, both right and left sides had foldover of the image. Is this because of too high refresh rate, or just porch timings? I assume the only way to fix this for the PS4 or other outboard hardware is to use a scaler?

Now provided I can pull the conversions off, I would like to make a blend, and take advantage of it by using the highest resolution possible (which I realize is limited, but one can try...) Based on the fact that each PJ should be able to handle 1080p, 2560x1600 should be a doable resolution for a blend as each would have to resolve 1280x800.

I want to buy the two tv-one scalers ElTopo is selling, but now I'm starting to have my doubts about whether that would be a wise purchase, as while they can do a blend, they both have analog inputs. I know for a fact that for my HDFURY, the resolution limit is at 1920x1200@60hz.
My problem is,I believe 2560x1600 is the highest resolution that HDMI can handle. Is there a device that can accept 2560x1600 via HDMI and output that in analog for the two scalers to feed through to the projectors?

I ask this as my setup is meant to be multi-purpose. I realize I could do software hacks with an older dual-analog output VGA card and a HTPC to drive a blend (anyone have links for this by any chance?), but I would also like to do a bit of gaming here and there, and for that, an older VGA is not an option.
My current gaming setup is using 4k/UHD, which I know can't be done with CRT, but 2560x1600 on a 3metre wide screen from CRTs would still be pretty fun I'm sure. The challenge is getting that to blend on two projectors.
Q: Would it be easier/better/possible to use two HDFuries on two HDMI outputs and driver-hack-blend? Is this working on new nVidia VGAs? (GTX1080) I am not even certain the HDFury would support 1280x800?

I'd really appreciate some accurate answers, as I am about to go ahead with the purchase of the two scalers, but if it's not possible to use them for what I want, then it's just a waste of money.

Thanks for any help guys!

(PS: Where the heck can you get white blackout material in ~280cm fabric width? I want to build a 4:3 screen that's 3metres wide so I need the height, but I've not had any luck in any of the local drapery stores Sad )
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I looked at TV One as a possible source of blend processors. I perused the setup manual and found the alignment procedures to be rather complicated compared to pro equipment like the DVX8022. Nash reported that he had problems trying to smooth out the blend zone---the contrast modulation was stepped, not a smooth curve. The DVX can be found on Ebay from $1200 but be advised that Analog no longer provides support on these.

We hope to feature the Analog Nextage processor at our May meet; I am very excited as these are 4K ready.
Pokemon640

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use 2x displayport to VGA and connect your 2x barcos.
Displayport to vga adaptors are cheap Thumbs Up
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon640 wrote:
You can use 2x displayport to VGA and connect your 2x barcos.
Displayport to vga adaptors are cheap Thumbs Up

How do you deal with the blend zone Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: