Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco Cine8 Onyx (12 out of 40)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hulio

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The chassis of Cine 8 0nyx is the same as the 808S one, but some boards are not similar.
For instance, the SMPS of 808S is R7621706 while the one in your Onyx should be R763606. A newer design, also to be found in all Cine 8 machines with a PFC board.
However, the way of adjusting the 17,3V rail is the same. Here how should be done:
1. While projector is off, put the red crocodile of your multimeter on testpoint J8, close to that blue connector (red arrow)
2. Put the black crocodile of the multimeter somewhere on the chassis (ground).
3. Start the projector and choose an internal crosshatch pattern at 31KHz/50Hz.
4. Put both brightness an contrast at 49 with your remote control.
5. Now, using a non-metal screwdriver, slowly adjust potentiometer P100 (blue arrow) for a reading of 17,2V on the multimeter.
That's it....Good luck and congrats with the new projector.

17,2V adjustments.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  303 KB
 Viewed:  7931 Time(s)

17,2V adjustments.jpg

Last edited by Hulio on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout5.shtm

This link will help with SMPS
tschaeikaei

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading 17, 17.2, 17.3 and 17.5V. And that you can spotburn your tubes (really??) if set to the wrong voltage.

Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I have set both my 808s sets to 17.5 volts and have not (yet) spot burned any tubes.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't seen spot burn issues with any of the Barcos unless there's a fault on a neck board or in the chassis, but you'll get strange performance if that 17/17/5 volt line is way off from where it should be.. intermittent loss of picture, or black lines/streaks/areas of the image.
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interesting information in here. I have just got my hands on one of these rare beasts, two units previous to this on if the serial is to be believed Smile (serial nr 4000010) Tubes and machine alltogether are in pristine condition, got the remote too.

I keep reading that the HD 117 lenses will work on this unit to add corner focusing. How rare are the HD117-24 variant? I don't believe I even saw one of them, and they are pretty much the only tuning I'd like to do on this machine.

Cheers folks!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattanee wrote:
Lots of interesting information in here. I have just got my hands on one of these rare beasts, two units previous to this on if the serial is to be believed Smile (serial nr 4000010) Tubes and machine alltogether are in pristine condition, got the remote too.

I keep reading that the HD 117 lenses will work on this unit to add corner focusing. How rare are the HD117-24 variant? I don't believe I even saw one of them, and they are pretty much the only tuning I'd like to do on this machine.

Cheers folks!

Well you should consider a bandwidth mod as well Wink

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use the high bandwidth neckboards from my 808s I suppose, but first thing's first! I need a lens set to give it corner focusing! Easiest mod I think would be the HD117-24, as It should be just a swap.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: the HD117-12 (despite its specs) is proved to focus well up to ~2,2m screen widths, it is much cheaper and easier to find.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattanee wrote:
I could use the high bandwidth neckboards from my 808s I suppose, but first thing's first! I need a lens set to give it corner focusing! Easiest mod I think would be the HD117-24, as It should be just a swap.

Actually I think both use the same video boards, but it is not "high bandwidth" just barely better than a 808 non S. They use the same VPH08 (or VPJ08s chip) that is rated at 85MHz, so figure about its "120MHz" bandwidth.

Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let me make a correction to my first statement: First thing's first, I need someone to help me bring it in from the car to my basement Very Happy
I thought it might have the 'high bandwidth' boards, but I have not had a chance to open it up yet to see what exactly is inside, just checked tube faces and that it worked at the seller as I had the better part of a 1500km drive in front of me.

Decibel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD117's won't fit in those lenses supports.
If you want to use HD117's you must to take the specific supports.
I think that you must to swap c-elements (only clear type are available, no colored).

Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the intel I gathered, the coloured C-elements inside the cine8 onyx will work fine with a HD117. As for the mounting, I have contradicting information on whether the attachment plates will be the same, though most posts I read make it seem like a simple swap with no need for new plates.
Decibel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattanee wrote:
From the intel I gathered, the coloured C-elements inside the cine8 onyx will work fine with a HD117. As for the mounting, I have contradicting information on whether the attachment plates will be the same, though most posts I read make it seem like a simple swap with no need for new plates.

PLATES:
The Onix or zenith front plates are totally incompatible with HD117's lenses.
Perhaps you can fit the HD117's but the distance from rear lense of HD117 to c-element will be too high. Will be impossible to get focus on the screen.
Those plates are compatible with his HD215 lenses only.

So if you want to use HD117's lenses you must to swap the front plates with HD117's type (and c-elements as describe below).

C-ELEMENTS
The Onix or Zenith c-elements are different than Barco HD117's C-elements.
They have same external circumferences and can fit in both plates, but have different curvature and "internal circumferences".

So if you want to use HD117's lenses you must swap c-elements with HD117's type (only clear available).

OPTION:
If you want to use the coloured c-element that you own with lenses type that have corner focus adjustments, you can use Sony G70's lenses but ... YOU MUST MAKE A DIY front plates.

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD-215 are known to be the worst available.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the g70's HD18 lenses needed their own c-elements to work with... But if they work with the C-elements I have, all the better! I have a post out in the buy and sell looking for both, we'll see what I can get my hands on.

I just hauled the beast down to the lair. No wonder I saw no visible wear on the tubes, unit has 446 total operating hours! That was ofc enough for the remote to have some buttons that function with a bit of difficulty. Are all Barco remotes going bad so quickly? My 1991 ITT Nokia CRT tv still has it's original remote and it still works as good as the day it was made... At a ~60" diag screen size, I see no downside to the lack of corner focus. I know that'll dramatically change when I take it to full size though...

Decibel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattanee wrote:
I thought the g70's HD18 lenses needed their own c-elements to work with... But if they work with the C-elements I have, all the better! I have a post out in the buy and sell looking for both, we'll see what I can get my hands on.

I repeat the song Very Happy

If you take HD117's lenses, you must swap front plates and c-elements.

If you take HD18 from Sony G70 + his c-elements, you must make DIY front plates.

I'm afraid you're not very experienced so I think it useful to warn you that behind the c-elements there is a glycol.
So if you need to change plates or c-elements you will need to remove the tubes from the projector and arrange them vertically.

Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is pretty limited to AC stuff Smile (And even there only really met the HD6,HD8 and HD145 lemses.) I've been trying to google about these lenses but there's lots of contradicting information out there.
Anyways, probably going to go with HD18 then, seems easier to find too. I can have plates laser-cut if I must, just wasn't really looking to do much 'homebrew' here.

Then again it might give me the incentive to get to converting my BG808s to LC as well. (Already have some used LC tubes but never got around to finding lenses/mounting hardware for them.)

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Barco Retroblocks 808LC's in the past. They had HD117-12 / HD117-24 mounted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: