Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Panasonic 4k player

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Panasonic 4k player Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys,
My daughter just bought me a Panasonic DMP-UB900 4k player. How lucky am I.
The first thing I noticed is it is very well built. It has a bit of weight to it. I hooked up straight to the Moome on the 919 and turned off the 24fps. Very easy to run through the setup. Put in a 4k disc and set the outputin too 1080p@60. This thing is very sharp and full of detail. Skin tones and blemishes look so real. I will do some screen shots over the weekend and give my opinion of this compared to the OPPO/ Cambridge.First impression is its better on picture but a little harsher on sound. The Cambridge has a warmer sound. There are lots of adjustments to play with like the HDR to SDR conversion. It also gives the option on colour space output.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What resolutions can it select between 1080p and 4k?

I'm asking because I suspect that at least some models of the
HDMI input cards for CRT projectors will accept input resolutions
higher than 1080p but if so, there is hardly any information
regarding that feature.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just standard settings. 4k or 1080p. It auto senses and outputs according. Same with HDCP. Not sure what output chip they are using to down scale and convert HDR to SDR but it look good.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking because even the HDMI 1.3 specification allows resolutions up to 2560x1600, and 1.4 allows up to 4K x 2K.

Whether or not any of the resolutions above 1080p are supported or selectable in the input card is difficult to determine
from the documentation relating to the input cards in question. It may be that the designer did not elect to support the higher
resolutions, but then again, maybe in some cases they are supported and selectable.

This is a bunch of questions I've wanted to get a definitive answer to for some time.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need a new scaler/processor to play with inbetween resolutions.
Cast has run higher than 1080p on his Cine9 using his computer.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4K Blu-ray players don't support output resolutions between 1080p and 4K as there is close to zero interest in it because tv and projector manufacturers only support those 2 resolutions. I would not expect this to change.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that there are standard PC resolutions between 1080p and 4K. That is why I was asking.

Might it be that if the PJ were connected to a PC source with an appropriately capable video card, it might have selectable output resolutions between 1080p and 4K?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pc, sure. You can set that to any number of resolutions. But that's because of the software that runs on pcs that offer any number of custom resolutions that they may choose to support. It has nothing to do with hdmi (which only sets the max). On set-top players the resolutions are severely limited because of the market they're dealing with.

If you want to go completely custom, use something like PowerStrip on the PC. You can set any resolution and refresh you like, pixel by pixel, Hz by Hz, including custom porch settings, timings, etc.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, NOW we're getting close to the answer to the question I've been trying to ask!

Let's say I move away from consumer blu-ray players and switch over to a PC based video solution.

Can you say with any sure knowledge, what is the highest resolution that can be displayed via my Moome HDMI 1.3 Marquee
input card when fed by a PC that can generate all possible resolutions in the HDMI 1.3 standard?

I'm interested in exploring the limits of usable resolution on CRT via HDMI. A PC based video solution may be the way for me to find it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. Whatever the HDMI 1.3 standard supports. I have no idea why you're asking this in this 4K player thread. You already have another thread where you're asking the same questions.

Kal

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious to see if the Panasonic 4K player mentioned earlier might do what I was wondering about.

I'm glad that at least I finally have SOME answers! They tell me what direction I will want to go in.

I have no further need to comment in this topic, thank you for your assistance and patience.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best colour space to run? It offers 444, 422, RGB or RGB enhanced.
Thanks,
Greg.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 'best' setting. What you output from the Blu-ray player depends on what your display can accept. The two should be matched, that's the most important. For example, I'm assuming that the RGB vs RGB enhanced feature on the Blu-ray player is a way of setting either 16-235 or 0-255 range. Neither is "better". They will give identical results as long as the display is also set (calibrated) the same way. The Blu-ray player manufacturer offers both, so as to support all display types. If you don't know what any of this means use 4:2:2 as it's the most 'common' for most displays today. But with your older Moome/CRT setup RGB or RGB enhanced is probably the 'purest' to use. If you switch between RGB and RGB standard you'll have to redo your brightness/contrast settings too as the black/white levels change between the two.

Good luck!

Kal

gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I am using RGB.
I tried running the 4k player through the DVDO to see what 817p@72 looked like. With this player I don't get enough width. This wasn't a problem with the Cambridge. Need to try and work out why.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg - It could different porch settings built into the player. Typically they try to accommodate displays that are available at the time when the product was developed. Your analog was definitely not on the radar when they designed the player recently.

Today the porches are typically smaller since everything is digital and display devices don't need as much time to adjust (there's no raster that comes bouncing back/needs time to stabilize).

Kal

racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Ah, NOW we're getting close to the answer to the question I've been trying to ask!

Let's say I move away from consumer blu-ray players and switch over to a PC based video solution.

Can you say with any sure knowledge, what is the highest resolution that can be displayed via my Moome HDMI 1.3 Marquee
input card when fed by a PC that can generate all possible resolutions in the HDMI 1.3 standard?

I'm interested in exploring the limits of usable resolution on CRT via HDMI. A PC based video solution may be the way for me to find it.

There is no way to play 4k on a PC yet because there are no drives available for 4k at this time. Once drives are available (maybe) you have 1 player in the market. Power DVD. Or use MadVr with Redfox/anyDVD. Not sure if the 4k keys are cracked yet. With a PC you have to contend with the desktop running 0-255 and movies at 16-235. What is the bandwidth of the Moome card or chipset. Also copy the EDID info from the Moome and see what resolutions are supported.

MAK
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: