Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ameaqua77

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
jcmkc wrote:
Don't know if anyone still follows this thread, but I contracted the "Black Screen of Death".
I have a Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A born in 2007 died late Dec. 2012
It did what has been described in other post. I opened it up visually checked the caps. I found the four caps on on the inverter boards (master and slave) swollen and leaking. Replaced all 4 and powered it up, no change. Started checking fuses found the F3 on the main bad, piggybacked a 1.5a and brought it back to life early Jan 2013. All was well until first week of Fed. the F3 fuse blew again. If I jump it the screen lights up blue. After reading this thread I'm thinking something more is going on.
Any thoughts???

I agree there has to be more going on. We first experienced the "pop of death" July 2010. Took the board to a repair shop and they confirmed it was the fuse. We've had to replace the fuse a total of 5 times. The last time the fuse blew was May 2013. Opened the tv and noticed burn marks near the fuse. Was still going to replace the fuse but from all the repairs, the contacts came off the board rendering it useless. Debating buying a new board to put this tv in a spare room.

Has anyone experienced the fuse blowing on a replacement (new/refurb) board?
Jules

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GV47L that is not powering on.
VISIO constant orange & buttons do not light.
Buttons unresponsive.

This device uses power supply DPS-475AP A REV:S3

Don't see any obviously blown caps.
No burn spots that I can see.
Large fuse on PS, near power plug is good.
Three surface mount fuses on mainboard good.
Surface mount fuses on both inverters good.

I'm a poor student. I have lots of free time and some decent soldering skills. Any help you guys could offer in fixing this TV would be much appreciated. THANKS!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only person that can help here is Macguyver, and he hasn't returned my emails from a couple of days ago, so I think he's out of town.
If you don't get a response from him, the solution is to either buy a new power supply or controller board off ebay to try, but I'd read all of the earlier posts here before you do. One guy chanced it and bought a power supply for $100, and that wasn't the issue. He then waited a couple of months until he found a controller board for another $100. he put it in, the set worked.... for about 6 weeks, when the new controller board died exactly the same way his original one did.
Controller board failures are very common on these Vizios (and other sets). These are all designed to be disposable, and unless you see obvious bulging caps on a power supply (common failures on Samsung and LG, etc), then you're not looking at an easy fix.

Sorry!
bentech8989

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes for Vizio GV47L repair.
----------------------------------

***Repair for Vizio GV47L FHDTV10A Main Board 3647-0012-0150***

Unit failed without warning. Screen went black. Popping sound (may have been speakers).

Troubleshooting:

1. Plug in unit. ORANGE VISIO LOGO lights up. No sound or noise.
2. Power on using on/off switch. WHITE VISIO LOGO. Buttons on bottom right light up. NO PICTURE. NO SOUND.
3. CANNOT POWER OFF with switch. Must unplug to turn off.

Inside unit:

No burning odor. No visible sign of component damage.
(looked at all boards. no damaged/missing components. or signs of failure)

no signs of overheating/bad solder joints on power supply, either inverter board, sound board, T-control board.

(Research shows this failure is common. presume main board f3 failure and possible voltage regulator(s) failed on main board.)

Main Board F3 blown. (piggybacked 1.5A replacement SMT littelfuse found on old hard drive PCB)

SUCCESSFUL REPAIR!

Check these links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC9FEZ78-qM <---- this is THE BEST VIDEO showing the fuses and more detailed explanation of the issue I had with my TV.

(plug in. AMBER VIZIO logo. Power switch CLICKS and turns VIZIO logo WHITE. BLACK SCREEN. BUTTONS NOT RESPONSIVE. MUST UNPLUG to TURN OFF)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIZIO-Main-Board-Repair-Kit-0171-2272-2235-3647-0012-0150-3647-0022-0395-/130940196058?_trksid=p2054897.l4276 <------ repair kit with Littelfuse SMT 1.5A and 3 voltage regulators mentioned in video. (I think.)

ENJOY! worst case, this guy fixes the GV47L main boards with THIS ISSUE (ask him about others. he's VERY familiar with these boards, and fixes them for $50 (free return shipping included.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-for-Vizio-GV47L-FHDTV10A-Main-Board-3647-0022-0395-and-3647-0012-0150-/321305596998?

ENJOY! FIX ALL THE STUFF YOU CAN!!!
AshleyQuick

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I was given this tv from a friend who found it on a curb. Simple question to start...to remove the back panel, is it necessary to remove all of the small screws around the back edges AND the speaker at the bottom?
silv55

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed one of these one time for a friend by replacing Regulator U5 - AMC 1117 -F0631j in the main board,my friend ordered a bunch of these regulators from E-bay still have a bunch of them.
AshleyQuick

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fuse do I need to purchase for this? Can someone give me some details and where to purchase?
AshleyQuick

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard, I found it. I bought a Littelfuse Inc. 045101.5MRL from Digi-Key:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=f2579ct-nd
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: