Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Physical position of Display Pro with LG LED TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> ChromaPure Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dadu007

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Physical position of Display Pro with LG LED TV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi All,
Probably a basic question, but here goes anyway.

I have a 55" LG LED TV (UHD).

Where do I place the Display Pro 3 meter? Do I hang the counterweight over the back of the TV and place the meter directly on the TV glass? (like when calibrating a PC monitor?) Or do I mount it on a tripod and point it at the TV... This section in the Dummies tutorial is what is confusing me:

NOTE: If you have a standard Display 3 meter (retail or OEM), then two operating modes will appear (Standard, Plasma, CRT, and Front Projection Lens). If you have a Display 3 PRO, then many more operating modes will appear, each of which has been individually calibrated for specific display types for greater accuracy including LCD and LED displays from Samsung, Sony, and LG - to name a few (complete list here).

Some important rules before we begin:
•For front projector setups make your room as dark as possible and preferably pitch black (just like when you're watching a movie), making sure to not have any stray light hitting the screen. This includes the laptop or computer monitor as well. Point it away from the screen and turn the laptop or PC monitor's brightness down.

•Again, for front projectors install the sensor on a tripod, point the sensor towards the center of the screen (with the sensor's diffuser out of the light path) set back a foot or two at a slight angle so it does not read its own shadow.

•Let the display warm up for about 30 minutes before beginning calibration. It will take time to stabilize.

•If you are calibrating a plasma display, it is a good practice to place the colorimeter on a tripod set back from the screen about a foot. This will minimize the effect on the sensor of the heat that comes off the plasma screen.
It's also important to use the right test patterns for your display type. If you are calibrating a plasma, OLED, or CRT display, always use window test patterns for grayscale, gamma, and color calibration. A window test pattern only fills the middle of the screen like this:

This not an OLED TV and it's not an LCD. I did pick the "LG LED TV" in ChromaPure, but, silly me, I'm not sure where to put the meter!!!!

Also, I don't want to use a window(ed) test pattern, correct?
TomHuffman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Physical position of Display Pro with LG LED TV Reply with quote

dadu007 wrote:
I have a 55" LG LED TV (UHD).

Where do I place the Display Pro 3 meter? Do I hang the counterweight over the back of the TV and place the meter directly on the TV glass? (like when calibrating a PC monitor?) Or do I mount it on a tripod and point it at the TV.
You can do either. It doesn't matter.

dadu007 wrote:
This not an OLED TV and it's not an LCD. I did pick the "LG LED TV" in ChromaPure, but, silly me, I'm not sure where to put the meter!!!!

Also, I don't want to use a window(ed) test pattern, correct?
Actually, it is a LCD. LED simply refers to the backlighting technology. It is still an LCD panel. You CAN use windows on LCDs if you wish. However, you MUST use windows on OLEDs, plasmas, and CRTs.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. Thx, Tom!

Gotta a lot to learn...and remember...: last time I "calibrated" a TV was when I used the free disc (AVS HD?) on my Pioneer Kuro.
I've had that TV for what, 10 years? I haven't changed a setting on it and the picture is still just unbelievable. But what a heat monster!

Looking forward to using my new ChromaPure package to calibrate the Kuro, my LG 55" UHD (recently inherited from deceased father-in-law) and my recently installed Benq HT3050.

Thanks for the excellent support!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> ChromaPure Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: