Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What perfect CPC alignment looks like

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: What perfect CPC alignment looks like Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For those of you who still do such things, here's something for you to look at.

You no doubt remember Bill Blue's guide to setting up Marquee magnetics, as well as Guy Kuo's Holy Focus guide.

I've been doing magnetic setups on literally dozens of Marquee CRT assemblies over the past few weeks, and every assembly has included 2/4/6 pole CPC ring sets.

I've learned a neat trick to ensure perfection in the setup of the CPC rings.

It's as simple as this: Do your final adjustments at MAX CONTRAST.

By doing this, this brings out details in the big round dot at high focus levels (Go straight to 100 focus for this) and
those details in the dots are the final arbiter of the quality of the CPC ring setup.

This only works if your CPC rings have the 6 pole triangularity adjusters.

What you're looking for is a triangular feature INSIDE the out of focus dot. And that triangular feature should be symmetrical and well centered in the dot. It only appears at high contrast levels.

Here's an example of this done perfectly.

Sorry about the scratches, they're on the lens used for testing the assemblies and there's no point in replacing the lens.

6 pole 2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.25 KB
 Viewed:  4405 Time(s)

6 pole 2.jpeg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I would also mention that sometimes you can NOT get both perfect raster centering AND perfect magnetic alignment of the focus yoke at the same time. This is because there are eight individual magnets in the focus yoke and if they are not all well matched in their magnetic properties, it will skew the alignment of the magnetic field. This is a deficiency in the design of the focus yoke, and the way to correct it is to send the yokes back to VDC to be recalibrated in their focus yoke calibration fixture.

If you can't get the raster centered up well with good flare with the CPC rings in the neutral positions, your focus yoke has this problem.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What perfect CPC alignment looks like Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
For those of you who still do such things, here's something for you to look at.

You no doubt remember Bill Blue's guide to setting up Marquee magnetics, as well as Guy Kuo's Holy Focus guide.

I've been doing magnetic setups on literally dozens of Marquee CRT assemblies over the past few weeks, and every assembly has included 2/4/6 pole CPC ring sets.

I've learned a neat trick to ensure perfection in the setup of the CPC rings.

It's as simple as this: Do your final adjustments at MAX CONTRAST.

By doing this, this brings out details in the big round dot at high focus levels (Go straight to 100 focus for this) and
those details in the dots are the final arbiter of the quality of the CPC ring setup.

This only works if your CPC rings have the 6 pole triangularity adjusters.

What you're looking for is a triangular feature INSIDE the out of focus dot. And that triangular feature should be symmetrical and well centered in the dot. It only appears at high contrast levels.

Here's an example of this done perfectly.

Sorry about the scratches, they're on the lens used for testing the assemblies and there's no point in replacing the lens.

Not sure what is the big trick here, I don't know if this is actually written down in the advanced procedures section, but am 100% sure this have been discussed many times in the forums.

BTW, Too bad Electrohome engineers did not put proper raster centering facility in to the Marquee, it is a real PITA how it works.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What perfect CPC alignment looks like Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
BTW, Too bad Electrohome engineers did not put proper raster centering facility in to the Marquee, it is a real PITA how it works.

BTW, the Marquee has raster centering. Bad thing is that it's not part of the geometry controls. It's buried in the help menu and there in the guided mechanical setup...

Help.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.04 KB
 Viewed:  4342 Time(s)

Help.JPG

View user's photo album (25 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't previously seen the part about looking for the triangular feature inside the defocused blob at high contrast levels.

If it was there I don't remember seeing it.

I've found focus yokes that were so out of adjustment that they were rejected as unusuable. That's unique to the Thomson yokes
used on Marquees. All the other types seem to never have this problem.

Yeah, you can do raster centering. But if you have to electronically compensate for a major issue with the focus yoke, then
you're going to run the associated circuits harder and hotter and reduce reliability.

I'm glad I have a large stock of focus yokes. I pre-test them and the ones that are too out of whack get put in the bin to go to
VDC for recalibration at a later time.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve checked on my test Marquee, it indeed have raster centering, as Barclay said, but there is no scale of the control, so how do you know where it is? I mean, if you perform the CPC-Focus centering method how do you know if you not counteracting with an electronic adjustment extreme that was left there before?
Anyway, the static raster shift is one of the least stressing electrical adjustment, the vertical deflection circuit does not generate much heat at all, especially in 16:9 aspect ratio. The horizontal deflection currents are in the range of 10-30A, adding ~100mA static current to those coils for centering will not really change the things much there either Smile
In the NEC PGs there were raster centering magnets mounted on the deflection coils (two magnet rings) so you could move around the raster without any electronic adjustment and without affecting focus, astig etc. On the NEC XG they abbandoned these magnets and used all electronic corrections instead.

As for astig and focus how I do:
I align the focus yoke to the sharpest when the center focus setting is around midpoint. Then set contrast to 100%, display a dot pattern and set focus to 100%, set the 2 pole CPC magnet so the big blob have a bright dot in the exact center, then the 2 pole is centered (you can verify this by setting the focus down to 0% and back to 100%, then the raster/dots should not move away, change shape yes, but not move away). Then set the focus to 0% and continue with 4 pole CPC, and set the blob to most round like, sometimes however this is not possible so you end up with a big triangle, then the 6 pole CPC can bend this out so it would be a hexagon, (but most ofthen you can set the thing pretty much perfect even with the 4 pole) then go back to focus midpoint and I can set raster centering (electronically) now without compromise on astig or focus, without endless iteration on the settings.

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
I’ve checked on my test Marquee, it indeed have raster centering, as Barclay said, but there is no scale of the control, so how do you know where it is? I mean, if you perform the CPC-Focus centering method how do you know if you not counteracting with an electronic adjustment extreme that was left there before?

Hi,

Correct. The centering mechanism is based on dedicated circuitry which shouldn't interfere with deflection or convergence circuits. Too bad that it doesn't include numeric values for the settings. In my opinion, the horizontal/vertical null point (least influence of the centering circuit) can only be obtained through two possible methods:

- Using the help menu, moving the raster to maximum left/right and up/down position and trying to set the midpoint for each
- Measuring the shift voltages (at C31/C55/C96 on the HDM; not quite sure where to measure on the VDM) and setting those to minimum/midpoint in the menu

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it seems on the VDM U4 adds a DC offset to the output amplifiers resulting a vertical centering feature.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very best and most precise way to set focusing and centering is to start by removing the CPC rings and unplugging the focus yoke.

This allows you to get the best possible mechanical centering without uneven flaring of grid lines due to focus yoke misalignment.

Then plug the focus yoke in and focus for sharpest central image.

Then reinstall the CPC rings. Note, if you can NOT get properly circular dots, your CPC magnets are likely defective. It is not difficult to damage their magnetic field patterns.

I bought a magnetic field visualization sheet off ebay for a few bucks and use it to check the magnetic patterns of CPC rings that
are not acting properly. In every case where the ring doesn't work well, I've found individual rings with obvious field problems.

I've even been able to remagnetize some CPC rings using neodymium supermagnets. With the visualizer sheet, you can see your progress as you practice. I then take apart useless flare only ring sets and use their knobs, and find sets without triangularity, pull the blank center pair of rings out, magnetize them to become 6 pole rings, test, reassemble, and test again on the projector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: