Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Californication: Complete Series Region B

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Californication: Complete Series Region B Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
On December 15th I ordered the Complete Series Blu-ray offering of Californication through Amazon.de for US$58 delivered. I received it on Tuesday and that night the wife and I sat down to watch a few episodes. We got through most of Season 1 Disk 1 before calling it a night. The Region 2 offering is locked, but I have multiple region free players set to Region 2.

This evening we continued with our binge-watching and on episode The Devil's Threesome, Chapters 2/3/4 (Season 1 Disk 2) we encountered encoding issues that locked up the Blu-ray player. Ejected the disk and tried again. Power cycled the player and tried again. Tried a second Region free Blu-ray play and the problem followed the disk. The issue produced freezes through the rest of the disk.

BOO! Thumbs Down

While the wife and I were very much enjoying the series we are left out in the cold. There is no American offering for Californication other than DVD. Why some a-holes out there do not find it worthy to put this out on BD is anyone's guess. We don't stream and not about to start.

While I am not about to call internationally to reach Amazon.de for replacement/refund, I hope this isn't a sign of the future. I've had a lot of good luck buying series from other parts of the world, both American series and foreign, on both DVD and BD.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Californication: Complete Series Region B Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
We don't stream and not about to start.
why on Earth not? Confused

Streaming for me has replaced "normal television", couldn't live without it

I haven't had any issues like you describe, but haven't bought a BD set in years, last one was GOT S-4, and that was right before HBO went ala-carte
View user's photo album (2 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't stream for a variety or reasons that I wasn't planning on going into here. Anyway, used my Amazon Prime membership to watch episodes that I couldn't watch via the German BD. Season 3 Disk 1 is also faulty. After selecting language I get the normal and expected menu to either watch ALL or Select an episode.

If I select All or the First episode the standalone players pause and then comes to a full stop (player desktop). I can play the next episode if I select it directly. As such we went back to Amazon Prime. BTW, the AP app for the Xbox One sucks. The Continue Watching feature refuses to believe I've been watching this series. Only identifies much older viewed shows, and now two of those are not free with my AP membership.

When I buy a BD I expect to watch it. I do not expect to watch it now, maybe allowed to later, etc. And without the ability to filter AP video catalog to just see stuff that is free with the AP membership, or even browse the Netflix catalog without signing up, they are worthless to me for the most part.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't what to tell you Wan, hopefully the other more techy guys will chime in. Seems to me if you're having region code issues with BD player then hack the player for region free playback?

I don't have Amazon prime for all the reasons mentioned, they really f*ck with you regarding whether your prime or not prime, are allowed ot watch this and not that.
hell with that! it just makes me an angry and I do NOT go into my theater to get angry. Reminds me of the airlines really, you buy your ticket and then if you show up a the airport and aren't part of the their special club they screw you on the baggage, screw you on seating, charge you for a soda, etc.

It's why I only fly Southwest and only use Netflix. I really have zero problem with netflix for $12. a month streaming, and anything that is not stream-able i get thru their disc mail-service, $5.99 month. for about 20 bucks a month there's nothing I can really complain about .

WanMan wrote:
If I select All or the First episode the standalone players pause and then comes to a full stop (player desktop). I can play the next episode if I select it directly. As such we went back to Amazon Prime. BTW, the AP app for the Xbox One sucks. The Continue Watching feature refuses to believe I've been watching this series. Only identifies much older viewed shows, and now two of those are not free with my AP membership..
i had some very weird behavior too with my panasonic player, especially on start-up and initial disc-read. Turns out it was all related to the software being out of date. Make sure you have the latest patches installed, you should be able to do it directly thru the players Ethernet or you can burn a disc as well
View user's photo album (2 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I cannot do that. The players I am using are actually ... illegal. I bought them off eBay is Best Buy house refurbs knowing i could get the original firmware from the Taiwan home website, which I did and promptly rolled the firmware back. I've played many foreign BD and DVD disks in this player without a single hiccup, but this title is a PITA.

After the second faulty disk I just sat the box set aside and the wife and I have been streaming the series on Amazon Prime.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Finished all 7 seasons Reply with quote

The wife and I finally finished all seven seasons of Californication this evening. That was one long series to digest. I have to say while seeing the boobs was nice, I don't care to ever see Charlie's ass cheeks ever again. Hell, I feel like burning the BDs and wiping my Amazon Prime of ever admitting to seeing the series.

Still, nice ending and the wife enjoyed it. The amusing part was the actress who played Karen. There is an anecdote in my history and my relationship with my wife involving THAT actress. As a result, she has always had it in for that actress and I've not owned a single DVD/BD with her in it.

My wife has completely forgotten about the anecdote and now has no bad feelings about the actress. Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found foreign (they're all foreign to me) Amazon's to be superb about faulty or missing stuff.

Had an order from UK go missing. They normally arrive in nz in 4-5 days, so 3 weeks later I mailed them. They said target was 6 weeks, and to mail them if the order hadn't arrived in 6 weeks. When it didn't,I mailed them and they promptly shipped me a replacement at no charge. Both orders arrived the same day, 4 days after they shipped the replacement. I mailed them and told them both had arrived, they told me to give one lot to a friend...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: