Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New Old Stock G90 on ebbay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
$3500 is a lot of money to invest into an outdated 1080p machine, real-looking image or not. You may find a select few out there who would buy it, but they would likely be part of the niche CRT group that already owns a CRT PJ.

I love my CRT PJ, and though the image from digital PJs may not feel "real" They are significantly better these days than they used to be 10 years ago. I'm a very picky viewer, but to me, a 3 chip DLP looks just as "real" as CRT, and is almost better in every way (except for maybe contrast, but lets be honest, that horse has been beaten to death by now.) Contrast for example, in my opinion, if you can't handle even the slightest bit of "gray level" from blacks being projected, then you don't care about the movie/video you're watching, you're more concerned with how black the blacks can get, and I think contrast is too over-hyped of an issue on projectors anyway. I would estimate that 5% of PJ owners actually have pitch black caves, and the other 95% of PJ owners use their PJ in some sort of ambient light.

CRT is great, but I think its best left in the 1080p and before days, which, 1080p is dying. Try selling a 60" 1080p TV for anything more than free, people look at you like you're from another planet... Shocked

To each his own however. Knowing this industry, you will probably find someone who still thinks $3500 for a nice G90 is a steal. In the world of practicality though, most will choose digitals.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you can't sell a 8" LC machine for 300$ then expecting 3500$ for a 9" is optimistic, the quality difference definitely not 10x.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my G90 for $100 two years ago. I had to drive a few hundred miles but I like the adventure of it. It only had 1100 hrs on it.

Deals can be had out there plus with digital getting as good as they are its hard to temp someone into biting at the high prices unless you provide additional services/support and warranty with it.

For me its more about how things work. I am fascinated with the technology and how they work. Just hearing them cycle on is wonderful. Plus I like the odd and unusual. When people see it most have no idea what to think.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Contrast for example, in my opinion, if you can't handle even the slightest bit of "gray level" from blacks being projected, then you don't care about the movie/video you're watching, you're more concerned with how black the blacks can get, and I think contrast is too over-hyped of an issue on projectors anyway.

Agreed. In fact, my digital projector has much better blacks than my LC based CRT projector ever did because 99% of the time the black on the screen isn't the only thing up there. There's all kinds of other more brighter lit information and we all know that inter-scene contrast ratio on CRT projectors is CRAP. The brighter areas wash out the dark ones.

So the only time that a CRT can do better blacks than some digitals is in a completely fade to black scene the entire screen is shown 100% black only and for more than a few seconds (the time for our eyes to adjust). And how often that does happen in movies? I can think of 2 instances: The plane crash in Castaway and swimming into the depths in Finding Nemo. There are probably a few others.

So because of that I would say that 99.99999% of the time I prefer the blacks on my digital than I ever did on my CRT.

That's even completely ignoring whether someone has a pitch black bat-cave for watching movies too.

KL

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
Contrast for example, in my opinion, if you can't handle even the slightest bit of "gray level" from blacks being projected, then you don't care about the movie/video you're watching, you're more concerned with how black the blacks can get, and I think contrast is too over-hyped of an issue on projectors anyway.

Agreed. In fact, my digital projector has much better blacks than my LC based CRT projector ever did because 99% of the time the black on the screen isn't the only thing up there. There's all kinds of other more brighter lit information and we all know that inter-scene contrast ratio on CRT projectors is CRAP. The brighter areas wash out the dark ones.

So the only time that a CRT can do better blacks than some digitals is in a completely fade to black scene the entire screen is shown 100% black only and for more than a few seconds (the time for our eyes to adjust). And how often that does happen in movies? I can think of 2 instances: The plane crash in Castaway and swimming into the depths in Finding Nemo. There are probably a few others.

So because of that I would say that 99.99999% of the time I prefer the blacks on my digital than I ever did on my CRT.

That's even completely ignoring whether someone has a pitch black bat-cave for watching movies too.

KL

I agree Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that in order to maximize the sale price of the first G90 I propose to list on ebay, I'm going to go ahead and put in NEW tubes. It already has a new green. I have a new blue already running in another machine, just swapping the two is barely a 10 minute job in a G90, and I will throw in a fresh red one as well just so there's no question.

So we'll soon find out what a G90 brings today on ebay in the following condition:

Three new P19LUG tubes installed. Red C element (standard on a G90) and dark green (upgrade) C element included.
Freshly overhauled with new Dallas chip. Extensively run tested to ensure no errors. HDMI input card optional, provided at additional cost but not more than I pay for it.

Incidentally, I'm always in the market for buying G90s. Even if they have roasted tubes. I have no shortage of minty spare tubes for them.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I've decided that in order to maximize the sale price of the first G90 I propose to list on ebay, I'm going to go ahead and put in NEW tubes. It already has a new green. I have a new blue already running in another machine, just swapping the two is barely a 10 minute job in a G90, and I will throw in a fresh red one as well just so there's no question.

So we'll soon find out what a G90 brings today on ebay in the following condition:

Three new P19LUG tubes installed. Red C element (standard on a G90) and dark green (upgrade) C element included.
Freshly overhauled with new Dallas chip. Extensively run tested to ensure no errors. HDMI input card optional, provided at additional cost but not more than I pay for it.

You know that you're not allowed to sell/advertise working CRT projectors here right?

This is how Curt makes a living (well, probably less than before but you get the point). Wink

I certainly hope you donate part of the sale to him as I've sure you've always done with all your sales using the link here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13801

Goes straight to Curt.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

CRT is great, but I think its best left in the 1080p and before days, which, 1080p is dying. Try selling a 60" 1080p TV for anything more than free, people look at you like you're from another planet... Shocked

I just bought a 65" Toshiba 4K flat panel for $600 and it looks pretty good. Absolute light cannon and since we sit back more than 10' from the set the scaling artifacts are not a distraction. Funny part is that you can still buy 1080p sets for more in some cases Shocked

These days I see little point in investing big money into any display device since everything is functionally obsolsecent in seemingly record time. Either the set will fail or something much better will come along (just like laptops). If I get 3-5 yrs out of the set then I'm happy.

1080p sets may be dying but 1080p is not. The industry needs to keep pushing new technologies in an attempt to keep sales up but the reality is that content providers have a hard time piping 1080p. Long way off before there's a set top cable box broadcasting 4K.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken directly to Curt about projector sales more often than you might imagine.

Curt is completely free to sell G90s or Ultras out of MY inventory and we split the money in an equitable manner.

If I sell a unit based on something I post here, Curt is cut in for a respectable share of it automatically.

I have a very positive working relationship with Curt and I'm not going to jeopardize it.

In fact, I've held off on listing a G90 on ebay while Curt has one listed on ebay. Since his has light visible tube wear,
and mine has NONE, obviously I'd be hurting his chances of making a sale while his auction is still running.

Maybe I should just send him a set of tubes for his G90 and he can split the sale of it with me in exchange.

I could do that. Right now my minty tube stash is frankly getting pretty awesome. Let's just say I've made a good connection and leave it at that right now.
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, will be fun to see what a G90 will go for today, on ebay everything is possible. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: