Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Fleabag

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Fleabag Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I had a very hard time with the original British version of The Office. The type of deadpan comedy never spoke to me. I like British wit and humor, but not of this type. Maybe it is just me and I need to warm up to it. I say this because when I watched the first episode on Amazon Prime I had the same reaction and had the proverbial flashback to The Office.

But I gave it a second try this week and found myself watching all the season one episodes in one sitting. I thought I had not seen the lead actress, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, before, but in taking a look at her filmography I see now that I had seen her as a supporting, recurring character on the British sitcom The Cafe.

The comedy is one based on the type in which the main character, and sometimes another character, will talk to the audience just before or after an important line. I found myself liking the main character, Fleabag. I wasn't as sure about why the show was called Fleabag or why the main character was treated like a fleabag until the season ending. Ok, now I get it.

So, I look forward to seeing the next season (if there is to be a next one), or seeing Phoebe Waller-Bridge in something else.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i know what you mean and I remember seeing the original version very clearly although it was a very long time ago. It just made me uncomfortable, and I don't really remember it being funny but just very awkward. I think "Dark Comedy" might be a better description and I think the British pioneered this, or at least it seems that way to me.

If you've never seen Brazil it's along the same vein but more surrealistic.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: