Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Hd-10L Lense

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Hd-10L Lense Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have an opportunity to get a 9500 with HD-10L lenses and researched that they would not focus well on a 92 inch width screen (not diagonal). Are we sure that is the case and if so, is the GT-17 lens in order.

MAK
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Edge focus may be compromised, or there just might not be enough range in the 10L to focus anywhere. I have some 17s if you need them, just PM me.

HD10E's are awesome, but are costly and hard to find.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version HD-10L? Old version, made by 3M/USPL, or new version, with a VDC label and part number and actually made by Elcan, a division of Raytheon?

Actually I believe that you can use the older ones at a larger screen sizes than the book says, but they're not optimized for that size and range.

HD-10Fs are very good as well, alongside the GT17s.

I think I can spare a set of GT17s.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the 3m version you will be fine. Mine actually outperform gt17 and the eclans but what do I know. Congrats
On the 9500 I am sure you will appreciate the upgrade.
koldby

TV/Projector: GJAKY modded VDC marquee 9500lc ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know and my experience with the new VDC HD10L lenses they are very capable of focusing on bigger screens than 92".
Mine are in the middle of their operating range on a 110" screen.
I think , cmjohnson, you nailed it in another forum:

Incidentally, the "new" VDC labelled HD-10L lenses are made by Elcan, a division of Raytheon, and the story behind them is that
US Precision Lens very abruptly stopped making the whole HD-10 series of lenses and did not even give VDC the opportunity to
make a final buy, which is kind of traditional among most companies.

VDC didn't have enough lenses in stock to even provide their current orders with lenses so they had to go into Scramble Mode.

They ended up working with Elcan to design the "new" HD-10L which is not at ALL like the old HD-10L.

Since VDC was ordering different lens types depending on the customer's application, and it would have been ruinously expensive
to get Elcan to tool up to make several different specialized versions of the HD-10 (like a GT17 variant and a small screen L variant, to name two) they decided to try to design a range of lenses that was as versatile as possible.

I know that Elcan made at least two lens variants. One is the newer HD-10L which has a lot of distance and screen size range capacity, and the other is the HD10GT26 which is meant for very large screen sizes.

I briefly spoke to one of the engineers at Elcan who was involved in the HD-10L project and he said that meeting the specs for that lens
was kind of difficult. But they got a lens that is equal to, or superior to, every lens that it replaces.

Since Elcan mostly makes optics for military applications, it comes as no surprise to learn that the quality and performance of the lenses will be about as good as it can be.

I never learned what VDC ended up paying to get the new lenses made, but I heard that they cost VDC "roughly twice as much" as the lenses they got from USPL. They are VERY expensive lenses.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember writing that!

Just for fun, because I can do it, I'm going to grab a USPL version L lens and directly compare its characteristics to an Elcan L lens,
and stick the GT26 on for fun as well.

Sadly I have only ONE GT26. I would like to complete the set.

I was given the GT26 when VDC recently moved to a new location. It was free and it's perfect condition,
but I only got one.

I have extra sets in stock of the USPL L model, GT17s, and HD10Fs. While I do also have two sets of Elcan Ls, I have not chosen to part company with the second set as they're always on my test unit. When I have completed all planned tests as I try to
make G90 magnetics run perfectly in a Marquee, then I will probably allow myself to sell one set of them.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea of a set of HD10f sent to Australia?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: