Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HTPC settings for CRT's

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: HTPC settings for CRT's Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just thought I would jot a few things down for others to use if they want to use their PC for playback on a CRT projector. Not all inclusive, but a start. My projector is a Marquee 8500 Ultra A/C

CRU : Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) allows custom resolutions to be defined for both AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs.
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

This utility helped move the image on the tube face back to center due to AMD not having a page to change timings.

Horizontal 1920 - Vertical 1080

Front porch 10 - 3
Sync Width 220 - 5
Back Porch 345 - 32
Sync Polarity - +
Refresh rate 59.998
Blanking 575 - 40

AMD Crimson drivers are stripped of gamma function. This hack is usable on the RX series cards. I did this on my Rx480 to get gamma function back. This was posted on the web, not my idea and worked.

Delete the AMD drivers with DDU
Reboot
Load the Display driver only 16.12.1 through device manager. If newer drivers use that. Remember! Display driver only! Not CCC.

Get Driver 15.7.1
Run the install for the driver and it will load the HDMI and correct CCC utility with gamma functions. The CCC will be the old style and it will not update the display driver because you already have loaded the latest driver.
Reboot.
There will be a nag for a .dll file which can be ignored. It is not needed for this application.
I tried the display timings page and had no luck.

Get MadVR for playback here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
You will need a software player that can load a external render.
https://mpc-hc.org/
I won't get into configuring this as there are guides on the net.

Calmans HTPC generator for setting Black levels, Contrast, calibration and many other useful utilities.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/998095-free-htpc-calibration-test-pattern-generator.html

AVS HD test patterns: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

AMD output settings are 4:4:4 RGB full.
MadVR settings 0 - 255 and set Contrast and Black levels accordingly.

Calibrate internal test patterns or Gray scale on projector.
Calibrate desktop colors with test patterns.

If anyone has other ideas or utilities for HTPC usage please share them. There was a page posted on timings, but I could not find them.

Mark
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for this

Is this on Windows 7?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this.

You seem to have a deep understanding of all the various ways to do timings - CRU - Catalyst - NVIDIA and Powerstrip.. and rather than learning them all again, especially CRU, I'd like any-once 1080p@72Hz timings and try them until I find a stable kind.

Honestly though, I don't expect what works well for you always will for me, but lest try it (if you are up to it).

Thanks again.

EDIT: Oh I noticed your timings for 1080p so will try that soon. But more form others would certainly help too.

imgurl
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if I should post here or in my thread but figure this is a PC problem so why not here.

I am for the first time running an interlaced custom resolution on my 1200p monitor. But the odd thing about it is that it's sort of a double layer making it almost unreadable.

The cool thing is that it's 1920x800 interlaced at 144Hz.. to bad I don't have my pj up and running to see what will happen.

uploadimage
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interlaced resolutions may confuse digital displays, only use interlaced with CRT
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: