Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Setting up Sony G90 for 1440p and HDR

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Setting up Sony G90 for 1440p and HDR Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Can it be done?

I am interested in setting up my Sony with a UHD player. I know you can defeat the HDCP by converting it to hdmi 2.0

I have seen specs say that the g90 was tested at 2500x2000 so that seems very close since 1440p is 2,560 x 1,440 resolution at a 16:9 aspect ratio.

And how much color space bandwidth will the g90 handle?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: There's no current way to go from HDMI (4K) to any resolution beyond 1080p in any CRT projector other than an HTPC.

HDMI 2.0 supports greater than 1080p. But there is no HDMI 2.0 input card for any CRT projector on the market.
Not yet. I'm waiting for that day if it comes.

No scaler that outputs RGB can take 4K and downscale it AND output it via analog.

4K right now means an HTPC solution and it depends on using an older video card that will output on the RGB lines of the DVI-A or DVI-I connector.

Last edited by cmjohnson on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD Integral will convert 2.2 to 2.0 or 1.4. I am playing with one to try and sort out my HDCP with the Moome.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, but I would skip HDR as the G90 (as well as most digital projectors) don't have the brightness to spare.

It HDCP can be taken care of with the $40 stripper:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39508

And a Lumagen PRO or HTPC can output those custom resolutions.

The G90 will probably have trouble with focus in the corners, but then again it might not do badly. 48Hz at your resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 progressive is only 176.77043 MHz which is well within the Moome card's capabilities. At 60Hz you'd already be up to 220.963037 MHz and that the Moome card can't do that consistently. I've even raised the voltage on the HDMI chips on Moome's boards and the very best ones start to break down at 210-215 MHz and that's only when running as a test, not a permanent installation.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

Have you tried any of the cheap chinese converters yet?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231898376862?rmvSB=true
I have two different model of these (both use the same chip), and they are happily seem to be working fine even at 1080P 110Hz from my HTPC, despite its poor specs. I have to add though that the ouput is badly filtered on the output (in its stock form), so one of my converter even struggled to resolve 800x600, but correcting the filtering can yield a fast output:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=456189#456189

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: