Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Dell P992 CRT Monitor raster vertically rolling

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Dell P992 CRT Monitor raster vertically rolling Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Dell P992 CRT monitor that I pulled out of storage. I have had it running for a few hours now playing a movie, it was working great until a few minutes ago, the image is vertically rolling from top to bottom of the screen. It is doing so rather slowly, takes about 30-40 seconds for the image to complete the roll from top to bottom. Otherwise its working fine...

Whats causing this? :\

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The menus wont come up either, no matter what button is pressed. I powered it off after that, powered it back on shortly after, can hear the usual CRT noises on power up, then the (relay?) clicks which after there should be the image appearing on the screen, instead the monitor shuts down into standby...

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-seat your A board (the video amplifier board). This monitor IS a Trinitron this time, and most likely it lost sync. I've had this happen with my GDM-F520 once. Take your A board out of the motherboard and put it back in. Turn the monitor back on and see what happens. You should have control of your monitor again.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice jbl! I'll try that and see what happens. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Thanks for the advice jbl! I'll try that and see what happens. Very Happy

No problem. If I have time tonight, I will do some googling regarding the Service Manual. Most Sony monitors' SM's are available for free. I believe the P992 uses the F99 chassis. I'm throwing a bit of a Hail Mary with the A board. Very Happy Most GDM monitors' video amplifier boards are known as "A Boards" on the back of the monitor. Smile

EDIT: I also lost the ability to press the menu buttons on my F520 when this happened too so I think this is a similar cause. Not sure what the root cause is though.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the A board and blew the contacts out and reseated it, monitor still acts the same way (shuts down into standby after tube energizes)

Also pulled the neck board and reseated that, no affect Sad

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer man! Does it flash a "code"? The light patterns on the monitor indicate what kind of failure it's experiencing, much like error codes in a CRT projector.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's flashing amber on...off...on...off etc...

I think that's its way of saying "Now I have my revenge for you putting me in storage you &!^%@*! Razz

Any idea what the code means?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
It's flashing amber on...off...on...off etc...

I think that's its way of saying "Now I have my revenge for you putting me in storage you &!^%@*! Razz

Any idea what the code means?

No but I PM'd the service manual to you. See what it says. Sorry - cop out answer I know but I'm about to hit the hay. That said, I will definitely be willing to help tomorrow and ever after! Very Happy
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I'm done with this thing for the day anyway too Razz

We'll see what we can accomplish tomorrow Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress? You should check the service manual - if I remember correctly, your orange light will blink in a pattern. The service manual contains these patterns and you should be able to ascertain (hopefully) what's wrong depending on blinkage pattern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: