Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone watching Soundbreaking on PBS ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Anyone watching Soundbreaking on PBS ? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I really like it. Informative and very good interviews.

El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. I especially liked the segment on Rick Rubin and the reintroduction of Johnny Cash. I never expected to hear Johnny cover a Soundgarden song.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so damn good .. Smile
View user's photo album (4 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's a great show, but I haven't been able to catch all of them

El Duderino wrote:
+1. I especially liked the segment on Rick Rubin and the reintroduction of Johnny Cash. I never expected to hear Johnny cover a Soundgarden song.
DOH, I always thought it was the other way around, Hats off to Soundgarden,
it's a great song, and I like Johnny's version just as much
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the first 2 episodes. Great stuff.

I set the DVR to record the series and I have 5 episodes so far.

Thanks for the heads up.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I was channel surfing and came across the 2nd episode. I wanted to watch them in order so I DVR'd the series and quit watching it. I watched the first on PBS' website and planned to watch the 2nd there as well. But before I did so they removed them all.

I have 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 on my DVR. I thought they weren't showing repeats, but it turned out my DVR defaults to 5 episodes max. I fixed that but now my DVR is f*cking up. I've called them twice, both times they did some stuff and proclaimed it was fixed but it's not.

I guess I'll have to buy the Blu-ray. Mad
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah PBS isn't what it used to be but they still produce a decent show once a while, even if it's much harder to access their back catalog unless your in their special supporter club. They called us the other day and asked why we no longer donate, I told them that when they put the Koch brothers on their board of directors and gave them veto power over "controversial programming" (read anything to do with climate change or environmental damage from the carbon fuel industry), they lost my support.
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
I told them that when they put the Koch brothers on their board of directors and gave them veto power over "controversial programming" (read anything to do with climate change or environmental damage from the carbon fuel industry), they lost my support.

Nova has produced: The Climate Crisis (1983), Hot Enough For You? (1989), Warnings From The Ice (1998), What's Up With The Weather? (2000), World In The Balance: China Revs Up (2004), Dimming The Sun (2006), Saved By The Sun (2007), The Big Energy Gamble (2009), Extreme Ice (2009), Secrets Beneath the Ice (2010), Power Surge (2011), Inside the Megastorm (2012), Megastorm Aftermath (2013), Killer Typhoon (2013), Killer Landslides (2014), Lethal Seas (2015)

In addition, over the last couple of years, NOVA Online’s blog NOVAnext has published twelve major feature pieces on climate change.

NOVA producers claim that NOVA’s partial funding from the David H. Koch Foundation involves no consultation whatsoever between officers of the Foundation and NOVA’s producers about either the choice of shows that they decide to commission or the content of individual programs.

Given the amount of programming NOVA has has produced and aired, specifically about climate change and fossil fuels, seems to lend creed to that IMO.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original posters in this thread, including me, are an embarrassment. What were we thinking? Posting about music without any mention of politics. That was just way more fun than is allowed on the OTF. Thanks for fixing that for us! Thumbs Up
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
NOVA producers claim that NOVA’s partial funding from the David H. Koch Foundation involves no consultation whatsoever between officers of the Foundation and NOVA’s producers about either the choice of shows that they decide to commission or the content of individual programs.

Given the amount of programming NOVA has has produced and aired, specifically about climate change and fossil fuels, seems to lend creed to that IMO.
not much recently though. . I know they pulled one show and the rumors were it was from pressure of big money donors. None of the items on your list are from 2016, blogs to me aren't broadcasting content), so could be some truth there. Also, the overall quantity is way down , maybe can't blame everything on the kochs, but where is all the money going? Doesn't seem to programing. 80% of their content is reruns .
Still one the best things out there though when they do put something out, like " league of denial, all the previous climate stuff, music etc. I know a lot of is tied to huge cuts in public funding as well at the federal level. You have to find the money somewhere right . This is where the Kochs were conveniently poised to step in , hmmmmm?

Phil Smith wrote:
The original posters in this thread, including me, are an embarrassment. What were we thinking? Posting about music without any mention of politics. That was just way more fun than is allowed on the OTF. Thanks for fixing that for us! Thumbs Up
ok, ok, point taken

I watched episodes 1,3, and i think 4. (couldn't find 2 on you tube and PBS streaming doesn't have anything except previews, wtf? )
it's a great show, and i really like how many different perspectives they get, it's really across the board and across the decades. the one thing I felt like they really tip-toed around was pro-tools and this massive manipulation of vocals. Whether vocals from a computer are "music". No one said it wasn't , but a little coy in my opinion ot 'say ' depends on whether that's what the artist wants his music to sound like".
Might as well say , Hell, if it sells at walmart then why not!" Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: