Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who runs Windows 10?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Who runs Windows 10? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just had my first Windows 10 "experience". I'll abstain from commenting for now.

Who here runs Windows 10 and what do you think of it?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work I was forced (by admins) to upgrade to Win 10 (prior I had Win 7), the computer remained the same (Athlon X2 3GHz, 4GB RAM). First it was odd, but I do like the tiles in the start menu, but I don't like how all programs are looking in ABC order, I rarely find what I find there, better to start with the magnifier right away. I find the Win 10 slower than Win 7. I mean usualy it starts up fast with normal sequence, but once I have to reset the machine for some reason it takes ages to start up again. Same when it is installing updates, you never know when it starts when it stops, but holds back the machine a lot -in my case at least.
Otherwise I don't find much improvement to Win7, it is just different

View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 5 laptops / PCs in the house are Windows 10.

After disabling some of the features and what not, I really really like it. Very fast to start up / shut down.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it on the main computer, and a laptop. Like everything else, there's a learning curve, but it works great. Finding the pix from my Iphone was toughest, as it changed the way it initially puts them on the HD, but saving into monthly folders actually ended up being very handy.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so positive. Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em comming

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved all my commercial clients to Win 10 as well as my own PCs. Its proving to be the best OS Microsoft has produced. Just turn off all the back ground apps in security.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of things you may want to consider turning off:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

Really depends on how you use the PC / what you like.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with everything off in Windoze10 it still phones home: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Even with everything off in Windoze10 it still phones home: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Possibly. I still find it miles better than previous versions.

KAl

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the switch to a dual boot system. Windoze 7 Pro (games) and Linux Mint 18.

I tried Win 10 for a week. What a waste of time! Plus Linux runs 15-20% faster. As I don't partake in any of the newer windows games I don't see the point in loosing my all important privacy just to use an operating system. You can't even play solitare(!) FFS without being connected to the internet and downloading it - apparently filled with ads.
I have said it before and I'll say it again. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy anything from an add targeted to me in email or anywhere else online for that matter. They can eat me! Yahoo put ads in their email and it took me forever to get rid of them. There's no way in hell I'll willingly allow it in an operating system!

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I made the switch to a dual boot system. Windoze 7 Pro (games) and Linux Mint 18.

I tried Win 10 for a week. What a waste of time! Plus Linux runs 15-20% faster. As I don't partake in any of the newer windows games I don't see the point in loosing my all important privacy just to use an operating system. You can't even play solitare(!) FFS without being connected to the internet and downloading it - apparently filled with ads.
I have said it before and I'll say it again. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy anything from an add targeted to me in email or anywhere else online for that matter. They can eat me! Yahoo put ads in their email and it took me forever to get rid of them. There's no way in hell I'll willingly allow it in an operating system!

Sounds like you started out with an attitude dude Laughing

As mentioned Windows 10 everywhere and I don't see any ads or anything else unwanted. In terms of speed 20 seconds from pushing the button to ready to use is fine. Its super fast on a Mac.

Each to his own though.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

As mentioned Windows 10 everywhere and I don't see any ads or anything else unwanted. In terms of speed 20 seconds from pushing the button to ready to use is fine. Its super fast on a Mac.

Each to his own though.

I kept an open mind. I listened to the nay-sayers, but I was hoping Microsoft did what they did when everyone hated Vista, came out with the decent Windoze 7. Everyone hated 8 so I was hoping for a decent 9. Turns out they skipped 9 and went strait into a sh*tty 10. I spent the last 20 years removing viruses, spyware, malware and adware from PC's.
There's no way I'm agreeing to it now just to run Windoze. Especially when there are better alternatives. So yes, I do have an attitude. (Graham Chapman voice) I don't like SPAM!(/end G.C.) Nor being tracked, advertized at or generally treated as something to be a money maker for the pricks at Microsoft.(Patrick McGoohan voice) I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I am not a number. I am a free man! (/end P.McG)

I was kinda surprised that so many here like it actually.

CRT.

HD done right!
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
km987654 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Each to his own though.

I kept an open mind. I listened to the nay-sayers, but I was hoping Microsoft did what they did when everyone hated Vista, came out with the decent Windoze 7. Everyone hated 8 so I was hoping for a decent 9. Turns out they skipped 9 and went strait into a sh*tty 10. I spent the last 20 years removing viruses, spyware, malware and adware from PC's.
There's no way I'm agreeing to it now just to run Windoze. Especially when there are better alternatives. So yes, I do have an attitude. (Graham Chapman voice) I don't like SPAM!(/end G.C.) Nor being tracked, advertized at or generally treated as something to be a money maker for the pricks at Microsoft.(Patrick McGoohan voice) I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I am not a number. I am a free man! (/end P.McG)

I was kinda surprised that so many here like it actually.

I have certainly heard many people with the same opinion or similar. a lot of those same people use Chrome which key logs (or at least used to). I am not sure its entirely possible to stop some sort of tracking and like you I don't like that. I would doubt that simply because its Linux that there is no reporting of some kind but as said each to his own.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I ditched Chrome a while back. I mean who wants their seach for "Chocolate covered spanking paddle" remembered for all eternity? Laughing

Ubuntu Linux sends desktop searches back to the ass hats at conical. The results are supposedly anonymized but...

Linux Mint is built upon Ubuntu but doesn't have the spyware built in. Runs well and faster than windows

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: