Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

TV/movies to look forward to in 2017 + 2016 leftovers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: TV/movies to look forward to in 2017 + 2016 leftovers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
speaking only video or movie wise of course

If you liked The Expanse on scyfy channel, S2 is coming with 13 episodes (3 more than last year). This was/is one my favorite sci-fi book series ever and I'm really glad it's got a 2nd season.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-expanse-season-2-syfy-1201670368/

Game of thrones. S6 was pretty good IMO and , since GRR Martin seems intent on following thru on his promise of dying before completing book 6- Winds of Winter, I'm curious to see what the show will do.

anything else you guys are just dying to see?

Last edited by draganm on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the inauguration of Donald Trump as President on January 20th.

I'm looking forward to watching from Japan where I will likely be working at that time.

I'm looking forward to getting started at the excellent job that I have received that will be sending me to Japan
in January for up to six weeks. I won't reveal much about it because I may require a security clearance for this,
and the less said the better, but this job does make optimal use of one of my core skillsets, that of an electronics
technician with significant video projection experience.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: things to look forward to in 2017 Reply with quote

draganm wrote:

will you be filming a movie or TV series CJ?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: things to look forward to in 2017 Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
draganm wrote:

Changed your thread title to reflect the subject of the thread.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: things to look forward to in 2017 Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
draganm wrote:
draganm wrote:

Changed your thread title to reflect the subject of the thread.

SC
thanks, i guess putting it in the movie & media talk wasn't obvious enough Mr. Green

Seriously though, the last half of 2016 was f*cking AWFUL. I am one step away from canceling my netflix DVD option because I can't even find anything to put in there. The only decent movies I've seen so far have been obscure stuff that went straight to streaming. Sad

case in point, for Trek fans , excellent documentary on Leonard Nimoy last night made by his son.

I did finally figure out why I've been watching so many documentaries though, they tell an engaging story about real people. Somehow the American movie industry has totally lost that ability, it's current offerings are all mind-numbing , action packed violence and posturing garbage. Going to the theater just makes me realize I just threw away a nice chunk of money, or 2 hours of my life, or both.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here's a few , and i mean few, i liked recently ass end of 2016

The Finest Hours - based on a true story right after WW2, really, really good, I gave it 5 stars,

10 Cloverfield Lane- not bad, good performance by John Goodman keeps you engaged- 3 stars

Space Race- netflix streaming 4 parts series on the post war race to the moon. Really good - 5 stars

Air Disasters- netflix streaming documentary about different airplane crashes and why they happened. Good one to watch just before you travel Laughing -4 stars

Cosmodrome-netflix streaming documentary about the never completed Russian moon program and how the engines were found 50 years later and bought /used by Lockheed Martin- 5 stars

tonight we'll watch
Hunt for the Wilderpeople something for the whole family, which is kinda rare. Really high ratings on this one, like 90% audience approval

new netflix Series
Spectral- sci-fi alien invasion stuff- Hope it's good
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
new netflix Series
Spectral- sci-fi alien invasion stuff- Hope it's good

Watched it last night. I'd rate it only "ok". Pretty thin plot, great effects, but mostly only at the end. It's a plodding "talky" movie for most of it with a big action ending. If it wasn't basically "free" (because we already have Netflix) I'm not sure I'd have watched it. It's a single movie, not a series.

Someone else's review:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/9/13902914/spectral-review-netflix-aliens-sci-fi-movie-nic-mathieu

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is unfortunate
kal wrote:
Watched it last night. I'd rate it only "ok". Pretty thin plot, great effects, but mostly only at the end. It's a plodding "talky" movie for most of it with a big action ending. If it wasn't basically "free" (because we already have Netflix) I'm not sure I'd have watched it. It's a single movie, not a series.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/9/13902914/spectral-review-netflix-aliens-sci-fi-movie-nic-mathieu

Kal

Quote:
Universal Pictures had pulled Spectral, a science-fiction thriller with a strong video-game flavor, from its fall release roster.
uggh, nuff said Sad

i guess CG special effects are cheap, good writers are either expensive or hard to find.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't mind reading sub-captions, Netflix put out a really good mini-series called NOBEL . I watched the first 6 and it's really excellent, the kind of TV you will never see on the dumbed down, commercial ridden garbage we have to endure here. It's filmed in Norway and is about the Norwegian involvement in Afghanistan.

I didn't even know Netflix had gone global Shocked

https://netflixtvshowsreview.com/norways-nobel-tv-series-prize/
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say The Predator but that's 2018. sh*t!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:

so far in 2017 I am looking forward to

Alien Covenant, -- May 17th I really liked Prometheus and think it's really good once you added the deleted scenes back in. Looking forward to the next sequel where they go to the home planet of the engineers who built the aliens and also humanity

Dunkirk as a huge history buff it's amazing to me that this story was never told before.

The Dark tower- I read some of the books, I thought they were ok. Might make for a better movie than book (like walking dead)

Blade Runner 2049- I mean c'mon, if your not looking forward to this your not a scifi fan . Oh please, please don't let them screw it up

other than that it looks like heaps of sh*t, yet another spiderman, more marvel superhero brawls, another fast and furious, another chainsaww massacre, another pirates, another freddy kruger movie. give me a frigging break Thumbs Down
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

so far in 2017 I am looking forward to

Alien Covenant, -- May 17th I really liked Prometheus and think it's really good once you added the deleted scenes back in. Looking forward to the next sequel where they go to the home planet of the engineers who built the aliens and also humanity

Dunkirk as a huge history buff it's amazing to me that this story was never told before.

The Dark tower- I read some of the books, I thought they were ok. Might make for a better movie than book (like walking dead)

Blade Runner 2049- I mean c'mon, if your not looking forward to this your not a scifi fan . Oh please, please don't let them screw it up

other than that it looks like heaps of sh*t, yet another spiderman, more marvel superhero brawls, another fast and furious, another chainsaww massacre, another pirates, another freddy kruger movie. give me a frigging break Thumbs Down

Oh, I forgot about Blade Runner 2049. What a visual beauty that will be no matter how bad/good it will be. + another Alien of course. I actually love the Chainsaw massacre as they come as well as Jason. Not Freddy though, just boring.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not until 2018, but I'm looking forward to the Han Solo movie.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrival- PG-13

anyone see this? It's getting like 86% positive on the tomato-meter Shocked
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless already mentioned I found the number # 1 movie of all 2017 (for me) is without a doubt (Loved the last one):

Kong: Skull Island!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
Unless already mentioned I found the number # 1 movie of all 2017 (for me) is without a doubt (Loved the last one):

your joking, ......right? what is it you guys love so much about this, the screen captures from your PJ?

I saw the first re-make in 1970's of the old B&W version . Hard to imagine they made a 3rd one, much less a 4th . I won't even rent this .

I will try and see Arrival this weekend , I'll let you guys know if it's "all that" Smile
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

your joking, ......right? what is it you guys love so much about this, the screen captures from your PJ?

I saw the first re-make in 1970's of the old B&W version . Hard to imagine they made a 3rd one, much less a 4th . I won't even rent this .

I will try and see Arrival this weekend , I'll let you guys know if it's "all that" Smile

No, not at all, I loved it for its matinee look about it. They had me hooked fast but never used it for screenshots. I don't mind digital remakes if the story catches me, but only a few of them. Hulk (if the actor is right) and Batman for its scenery (if the actors are right) and not much else.

Superman I haven't even watched yet. Boring. Avatar is still waiting for me to bore myself to death and watch it. It's James Cameron after all so deserves a chance.

Matinee again. That's the hook.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matinee- a movie or play specifically held in the afternoon?

Did you mean cinematic look?

thewolfman wrote:
Avatar is still waiting for me to bore myself to death and watch it. It's James Cameron after all so deserves a chance.

Matinee again. That's the hook.
I thought Avatar was very Cinematic, great story-line, and good sci-fi to boot. Surprised you haven't seen it yet

The last really cinematic movie I saw was Hateful eight, shot with special cinema-scope lenses from the 1950's and 70mm film. Generally I don't like the senseless violence of Terentino films but this one was fun to watch, especially in the beginning, filmed in the mountains here in Colorado.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a little rough for a movie mattee, but that warm cinematic look about it. Hateful eight I saw 2 weeks ago and that too has that cosy look about it. I will watch Avatar then and not turn it off after first half hour.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The last really cinematic movie I saw was Hateful eight, shot with special cinema-scope lenses from the 1950's and 70mm film. Generally I don't like the senseless violence of Terentino films but this one was fun to watch, especially in the beginning, filmed in the mountains here in Colorado.

Great scenery as always with his movies. Didn't they say it was Virginia in the movie? I wonder what I got that from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: