Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Any Linux guys here? Ubuntu Kodi install issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I can only get the PVR to work with the HDhomerun beta app. It doesn't seem to have a bar showing how much is in buffer. I don't see a record button. Pause kind of works.

I need to play with it a little more. Last night, I tried to load Myth on Ubuntu and I couldn't get it working. I am going to try Mythbuntu on a clean HD and see what happens. It is sad to me that my old TotalMedia software works better than the new software.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HDHomrun is the older one. Not supported by the HDhomerun App. I was thinking of getting one of the new ones so I'll be watching your progress.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys tried the Kodi tvaddons or Navi-x on a computer or htpc appliance? I have no experience with the HDhomerun, but the other two programs seem to be well supported online.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have looked at the add ons. I am running the HDhomerun dvr app and don't really like it.

To give an update, I have pretty much thrown in the towel and bought a Channelmaster DVR+. My HTPC was having trouble displaying live TV. It is an Athlon II X2. I was going back and forth between buying some upgraded PC hardware or go the STB route. Finally today, I stopped waffling. The CM has two tuners and it gives a two hour buffer for PVR. I loved that about my TIVO. Being able to pause one program and flip over to another program was great. The TIVO was only 30 mins, so this will feel like a lifetime. It was perfect for sports. Another good thing (and what finally sold me) is you can transfer recorded shows to your PC. I am sure Crabb is laughing somewhere as he has told me dump a lot of this stuff. Smile
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
Have you guys tried the Kodi tvaddons or Navi-x on a computer or htpc appliance? I have no experience with the HDhomerun, but the other two programs seem to be well supported online.

I used mine to make a FLAC music collection and to stream from my HTPC. I tried internet radio plug in, not bad but allot of low quality streams.

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR,
I never gave you the complete rundown after this. I bought the Channel Master DVR+ last year. There was a sale on the Tivo Roamio OTA lifetime subscription for $210 delivered. I bought one. I then bought a Hauppauge Wintv quad tuner. I figured best device wins.

I ended up getting a subscription to Sling, so that favored the CM. The CM has the Sling app installed. The Tivo is nice and has four tuners, but lost out because of the Sling app. I ended up selling it on ebay for $260. That was a factor in me keeping the CM over the Tivo, as I knew I would lose money on the CM.

The Hauppauge I installed on my Win 10 HTPC. I like it ten times better than the SD Homerun. The WinTV software works fine and it has four tuners. You can even watch four channels at once. It is definitely a big upgrade over what I was using before.

Today, I had a spare drive sitting there by my computer looking forlorn so I decided to put it to use. I installed Ubuntu Mate and got to work on using the Hauppauge on Linux. After about fifteen minutes of setting it up, I had the Hauppauge up and running. I am using the Kaffeine software that Hauppauge recommended on their website. Works well. I am going to play around with Kodi tomorrow. If this works well, then so long Windows. Smile
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
AR,
I never gave you the complete rundown after this. I bought the Channel Master DVR+ last year. There was a sale on the Tivo Roamio OTA lifetime subscription for $210 delivered. I bought one. I then bought a Hauppauge Wintv quad tuner. I figured best device wins.

I ended up getting a subscription to Sling, so that favored the CM. The CM has the Sling app installed. The Tivo is nice and has four tuners, but lost out because of the Sling app. I ended up selling it on ebay for $260. That was a factor in me keeping the CM over the Tivo, as I knew I would lose money on the CM.

The Hauppauge I installed on my Win 10 HTPC. I like it ten times better than the SD Homerun. The WinTV software works fine and it has four tuners. You can even watch four channels at once. It is definitely a big upgrade over what I was using before.

Today, I had a spare drive sitting there by my computer looking forlorn so I decided to put it to use. I installed Ubuntu Mate and got to work on using the Hauppauge on Linux. After about fifteen minutes of setting it up, I had the Hauppauge up and running. I am using the Kaffeine software that Hauppauge recommended on their website. Works well. I am going to play around with Kodi tomorrow. If this works well, then so long Windows. Smile

I bought the Hauppauge Quad tuner too. Running it on a Lenovo 92 SFF desktop on Win7 64 with 4gb ram i7 QuadCore. Streams to all tablets/laptops/desktops in the house and records locally onto the Lenovo's hard drive. I haven't played with the Linux side on that one as I scored that Lenovo for cheap and it just works. Also has a BDXL drive for TV show back ups. I put a bunch of Indy car races on Bluray after converting from M2TS to H.264.
Only thing I didn't do was chop the commercials. That's why I was asking about a free program to chop the commercials in the other thread.

This is vey similar to my old HTPC setup that used Hauppauge tuners with Beyond TV to record shows then mapped network drive and watched in Kodi. No live TV with that one though.

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F#$KING CHANNELMASTER!

They sent me an email yesterday saying they will no longer have the Sling app on the DVR+. For some reason, they are supposedly selling for a good price on ebay. I may end up selling mine.

CM is coming out with a new box called Stream+. Not sure what they are going to have on it or how good the DVR will be.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ch- Ch- Channel Changes! Sux!

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "upgraded" my PCs in January. I realized I had an old sandy bridge mobo sitting around so I swapped out my old Win 10 AMD set up and put that in. I used the Sandy Bridge CPU in my main computer and was able to put a fresh install of Win 10 on a new hard drive. I bought new memory and an Ivy Bridge CPU for my main computer. I also had a Geforce 1050 that I had purchased on sale for $95 before the big mining craze. I put it into the HTPC rig.

The HTPC rig is hooked up to my OLED and looks stunning. I played Mad Max on it a couple of months ago and was in awe of how good it looked.

Only issue is I can't find the unlock code for the Hauppauge WinTv software, so I have not been using the Hauppauge. Right now, I use the CM DVR for OTA recording and playback. My LG OLED has a built in Sling app that I use for watching that. One nice thing about Sling is that you can watch it anywhere. I watched a couple of things on my laptop when I was out of town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: