Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Doctor HDMI: EDID Correction Tool

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15711
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Doctor HDMI: EDID Correction Tool Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Doctor HDMI: EDID Correction Tool



Click HERE to order Doctor HDMI today at a CurtPalme.com discounted price

Resolves HDMI video loss / stability issues - replicates a full 1080p, 3D EDID out-of-the-box

Doctor HDMI helps resolve most HDMI video issues caused by faulty EDID handshakes or other incompatibility issues. It's used to keep a source device "always on" by tricking / feeding back to it the same, stable EDID signal. Particularly useful when using HDMI splitters and HDMI distribution systems.

Are you experiencing video loss / video return delays when a TV displays is turned on/off, or when an AV receiver or matrix switcher's inputs/outputs are changed? Doctor HDMI is the answer!

Doctor HDMI can also boost HDMI signal integrity allowing longer HDMI cable runs. It can also be used to limit the source output resolution.

Doctor HDMI solves these and other problems by acting as an EDID manager and HDMI/DVI-D emulator/repeater that comes with pre-defined presets, user programmable banks, EDID sniffing and more.

"As a EDID emulator the Dr HDMI worked flawlessly with my gaming PC. My main desktop PC has its video output split between a monitor and a AV receiver and TV setup. Of course, this resulted in the EDID being incorrectly detected and the PC refusing to output surround sound to the receiver. Using Dr HDMI, it was trivial to capture the EDID from the AV receiver, then by connecting Dr HDMI to the PC, the PC was convinced it was permanently connected to the surround sound system and selecting 7.1 surround sound was no longer a problem." - videogameperfection.com

For complete details see our Doctor HDMI order page.


_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
paw



Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 1176
Location: Arvada, CO


PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Does this product function like a HDCP stripper? SSSSSH!
_________________
Aubrey
Back to top
View user's photo album (8 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15711
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
Interesting. Does this product function like a HDCP stripper? SSSSSH!

No. See the FAQ on the order page for more details: http://www.curtpalme.com/DoctorHDMI.shtm

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
clotter



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 12



PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it correct that I would need one of these for each video source? For example, I have a Dish Hopper, DVD player, PS3, and PS4 all connected to my receivers HDMI inputs. The receivers output then goes to my projector. I don't have any issues, but would gladly pay the cost of this unit if it would eliminate the delay when switching inputs on my receiver. I miss the old analog days of instant input changes!
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15711
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question - You'd need to connect one between each source and the receiver in order to (a) Preserve the EDID that is being transmitted by the source, and (b) Present this same EDID to the sink (the receiver), constantly. (You can also totally remove and inject a "new" EDID if the source device's original EDID is invalid).

Quote:
THE ISSUES

As many of you may have experienced - if you have multiple "sources" devices set up - such as a cable box, a gaming station, a disc player, and/or a Media System - and the user switches between these devices, there sometimes may be a significant delay for the video to re-appear.

Some may say that it's HDCP handling that causes this - but it may actually be caused by the source and sink devices trying to
"sync up" on the EDID - not due to HDCP.

For example, on a standard DVD player (which has no HDCP that is present on Blu-ray and HD set-top boxes) - this same delay can be observed, and it is obviously not caused by HDCP. Worse - in some cases - with particular source and sink combinations - the video may not even come back unless the source is reset - making it a huge problem for AV integrators and installers!

In some cases, specific combinations of TV & receiver devices will create invalid EDIDs - causing some sink devices/sources to not show video correctly.

... So what's an installer to do?

THE SOLUTION

In these cases, a "fix" is needed to do all of the following to prevent the above issues:
- Preserve the EDID that is being transmitted by the source
- Present this same EDID to the sink, constantly
- Totally remove and inject a "new" EDID if the source device's original EDID is invalid

Since HDMI is becoming more and more prevalent in any installation, a device called the "Dr. HDMI" exists - which helps installers eliminate the above issues in their AV installations. "Dr. HDMI" helps resolve these issues when sources are switched on a TV or receiver:
- Minimize the lag time for video to return
- Help eliminate "loss of video"
- For source devices w. invalid EDIDs, a "corrected" EDID can be injected midstream to allow normal AV operation


Quote:
I miss the old analog days of instant input changes!

Me too. HDMI is the absolutely worst connection type I've seen in 20+ years because when there are issues, you're pulling your hair out.

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0


Last edited by kal on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
clotter



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 12



PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification!
Back to top
wildchild22



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 185



PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Kal you are correct.

kal wrote:
Good question - I would imagine that you'd need to connect one between each source and the receiver in order to (a) Preserve the EDID that is being transmitted by the source, and (b) Present this same EDID to the sink (the receiver), constantly. (You can also totally remove and inject a "new" EDID if the source device's original EDID is invalid).

Quote:
THE ISSUES

As many of you may have experienced - if you have multiple "sources" devices set up - such as a cable box, a gaming station, a disc player, and/or a Media System - and the user switches between these devices, there sometimes may be a significant delay for the video to re-appear.

Some may say that it's HDCP handling that causes this - but it may actually be caused by the source and sink devices trying to
"sync up" on the EDID - not due to HDCP.

For example, on a standard DVD player (which has no HDCP that is present on Blu-ray and HD set-top boxes) - this same delay can be observed, and it is obviously not caused by HDCP. Worse - in some cases - with particular source and sink combinations - the video may not even come back unless the source is reset - making it a huge problem for AV integrators and installers!

In some cases, specific combinations of TV & receiver devices will create invalid EDIDs - causing some sink devices/sources to not show video correctly.

... So what's an installer to do?

THE SOLUTION

In these cases, a "fix" is needed to do all of the following to prevent the above issues:
- Preserve the EDID that is being transmitted by the source
- Present this same EDID to the sink, constantly
- Totally remove and inject a "new" EDID if the source device's original EDID is invalid

Since HDMI is becoming more and more prevalent in any installation, a device called the "Dr. HDMI" exists - which helps installers eliminate the above issues in their AV installations. "Dr. HDMI" helps resolve these issues when sources are switched on a TV or receiver:
- Minimize the lag time for video to return
- Help eliminate "loss of video"
- For source devices w. invalid EDIDs, a "corrected" EDID can be injected midstream to allow normal AV operation


Quote:
I miss the old analog days of instant input changes!

Me too. HDMI is the absolutely worst connection type I've seen in 20+ years because when there are issues, you're pulling your hair out.

Kal
Back to top
Electrogeek



Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 104
Location: Hamilton New Zealand


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Living in the weird parts of the world i have a problem I'd like to know if this will sort, most of my HDMI video sources are 50Hz and my HD Fury Nano wont tell sources that that is just fine, will this?

Cheers

_________________
I have found a use for compact fluorescents hehe
Back to top
wildchild22



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 185



PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Yes it will as you can write whatever edid bin you like to the dr hdmi.

Electrogeek wrote:
Hi

Living in the weird parts of the world i have a problem I'd like to know if this will sort, most of my HDMI video sources are 50Hz and my HD Fury Nano wont tell sources that that is just fine, will this?

Cheers
Back to top
stephanehl



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 28



PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Need help. Reply with quote

Hello,

i just bought Dr. HDMI as i got a big problem with the recorder EZ recorder 130.

Here is my settings, i have ps2 connected to VP30 then i connect it to EZ 130 but it dont works but i also tried 720p 50/60 hz and also 1080p - 60hz, but it dont worked.

Then i tried these settings

PS2 - component - VP30 - hdmi - Iscan mini - hdmi -EZ recorder 130 - it works.

So i try this new one hope that it works but still not work.

PS2 - component - VP30 - hdmi - Dr HDMI - hdmi cable - EZ 130 - it dont worked.

So anyone can help me.

what is this problem.

Stephanehl
Back to top
wildchild22



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 185



PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help. Reply with quote

As per our forum

You need to test this to a hdmi display for a test.

So try vp30 to dr hdmi to a display.


stephanehl wrote:
Hello,

i just bought Dr. HDMI as i got a big problem with the recorder EZ recorder 130.

Here is my settings, i have ps2 connected to VP30 then i connect it to EZ 130 but it dont works but i also tried 720p 50/60 hz and also 1080p - 60hz, but it dont worked.

Then i tried these settings

PS2 - component - VP30 - hdmi - Iscan mini - hdmi -EZ recorder 130 - it works.

So i try this new one hope that it works but still not work.

PS2 - component - VP30 - hdmi - Dr HDMI - hdmi cable - EZ 130 - it dont worked.

So anyone can help me.

what is this problem.

Stephanehl
Back to top
Frank D



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 73



PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this item be able to fix a slow sync issue of a blu ray player set to output 24p to a JVC RS 500 ie when playing blue ray some intro material is shown at 1080p60 and some at 1080p24 causing a slow sync issue with the JVC as it changes from one to the other causing a loss in video (but you still hear audio) until JVC syncs to change in sync?
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15711
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank D wrote:
Would this item be able to fix a slow sync issue of a blu ray player set to output 24p to a JVC RS 500 ie when playing blue ray some intro material is shown at 1080p60 and some at 1080p24 causing a slow sync issue with the JVC as it changes from one to the other causing a loss in video (but you still hear audio) until JVC syncs to change in sync?

Yes, in theory that is one of the purposes. See the section called "What is EDID? What EDID problems exist?" here: http://www.curtpalme.com/DoctorHDMI.shtm

Now, I say "in theory" because if you read here, someone else did not have good results:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2222586-official-jvc-rs600-rs500-x950r-x750r-x9000-x7000-owners-thread-100.html#post40109202

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Frank D



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 73



PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone in the GTA has one that I can test or try?

There seems to be a return policy if the unit does not work so that is good.
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15711
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank D wrote:
Wondering if anyone in the GTA has one that I can test or try?

Afraid I don't know.

Quote:
There seems to be a return policy if the unit does not work so that is good.

Correct. It has to be shipped back to Taiwan.

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum