Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

4 K

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: 4 K Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Sony 1272 running 1080I.
I know the projector can't handle 4k,, but was wondering If I watched Netflix 4k, Would I see ANY noticeable improvement in picture quality? Just curious
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you even going to get the 4K signal into the projector?

Some Lumagen scalers can downsample 4K to something your projector can handle, but you can not get a better
image quality than the resolution being delivered to the projector.

4K sharpness can not be conveyed in a 1080p signal.

4K is a dream for CRT projection enthusiasts, one that is highly unlikely to come true unless we get a CRT enthusiast in
our community who has the desire and the the resources to spend millions of dollars developing a super high bandwidth
CRT projection system that currently does not exist.

You'd be much better off to upgrade to a top 9" CRT projector for image quality improvement, or if 4K is really what you want,
get a 4K digital like a JVC RS...whatever.
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a information question. Just wondering if the picture would change at all. Not looking to upgrade anything either.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But like CM said, you can't get 4K into the projector, so therefore you can't watch Netflix 4K. It's not a logical question.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't understand , never mind
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your real question: probably no. The 1272 can already display only a portion (probably 3/4?) of 1080P, so if we believe downscaled 4K looks only slightly better than native 1080P content, then further downscaled (even if it is done by the electron beam of your Sony) will give undetectable difference.
On the other hand I think we live the days still when vast majority of the 4K materials are only "look better" because a good ammount of edge enhancement was added to the original content. But honestly for that you don't need 4K...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Did you mean like this?:

4K source -> video processor to downscale to 1080i -> Sony 1272 projector

If that's the question, then no, it won't make any difference.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
the dude

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, its not all about number of pixels...

It makes a difference where the downscaling ocours! Thats because all video codecs use spectral data reduction, so if you downscale to 2k and compress the compression removes information that you can see. If you compress 4K material in the first place data compression affects information that is invisible in 2k anyway.

But maybe it makes no difference when streaming, it depents on the actual bitrates.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dude wrote:

It makes a difference where the downscaling ocours! Thats because all video codecs use spectral data reduction, so if you downscale to 2k and compress the compression removes information that you can see. If you compress 4K material in the first place data compression affects information that is invisible in 2k anyway.

But maybe it makes no difference when streaming, it depents on the actual bitrates.

Normally, you'd have a point. The problem is the 1272 is only resolving somewhere around 720p. It's a little better than 540p, but not even close to 1080p. So, how much difference will be visible between content compressed at 1080p, and content compressed at 2160p, but all displayed at 1080i and resolving something much less than that? Answer: Zilch.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
the dude wrote:

Normally, you'd have a point. The problem is the 1272 is only resolving somewhere around 720p. It's a little better than 540p, but not even close to 1080p. So, how much difference will be visible between content compressed at 1080p, and content compressed at 2160p, but all displayed at 1080i and resolving something much less than that? Answer: Zilch.

SC

LOL, I was thinking the same.

Larry,
There are plenty of 8" pjs out there for next to nothing. Why don't you pick one of those up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: