Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

JVC DLA RS-xxxx recomendation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: JVC DLA RS-xxxx recomendation Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ok i'm going to get a Digital projector in the near future.
no more CRT's for me.

I have a couple friends that have the JVC DLA's so i'll go with one of those. Kal is one....he recommended i post here.
To Quote him "Lots of guys will be able to chime in as to what the best 'deal' today is in terms of JVC digitals in used/b-stock/overstock."

i like the sound of that.
He did mention that i want a DC powered lamp version. Does anyone know how to tell? is there some secret decoder sheet to model numbers?
I'm not overly fussy on performance. priorities have changed in the past few years. i just want to setup a small wreck room viewing area with a decent PJ. reliability is key for me.

Let the collective brain picking begin.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: JVC DLA RS-xxxx recomendation Reply with quote

Joust wrote:
He did mention that i want a DC powered lamp version. Does anyone know how to tell? is there some secret decoder sheet to model numbers?

I believe the line of projectors I bought my JVC from was the first to use a DC bulb. (I bought a RS56 back in late 2012).

The bulb manufacture Part # is PK-L2312UP and according to some sellers this bulb works in:

JVC DLA-RS46
JVC DLA-RS46U
JVC DLA-RS4810
JVC DLA-RS4810U
JVC DLA-RS49
JVC DLA-RS4910
JVC DLA-RS49E
JVC DLA-RS49U
JVC DLA-RS56
JVC DLA-RS56U
JVC DLA-RS57
JVC DLA-RS57E
JVC DLA-RS57U
JVC DLA-RS66
JVC DLA-RS66U
JVC DLA-RS67
JVC DLA-RS6710
JVC DLA-RS67E
JVC DLA-RS67U
JVC DLA-X35
JVC DLA-X35B
JVC DLA-X35W
JVC DLA-X500R
JVC DLA-X55R
JVC DLA-X700R
JVC DLA-X75R
JVC DLA-X900R
JVC DLA-X95R

There may be some missing and/or there may also be a newer bulb used in some newer models. Not sure, as I haven't been keeping up on the model year changes.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're looking for a steal on a machine that's a generation or two old, or you're willing to shell out for über-high contrast, just get an RS400. UHD-capable with e-Shift4. Much brighter than previous machines... It'll light up a 10-foot-wide-plus screen. Stellar projector. Unless you're planning on doing Excel spreadsheets or looking at Windows desktop icons, the UHD is excellent with actual UHD source material.

Don't take my word for it, though. Here's Art's excellent review on it:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/jvc-dla-rs400u-home-theater-projector-review/

$4000 retail - not cheap, but it's a hell of a machine; it competes favorably with native UHD projectors like Sony's VW350ES (which is 50%+ more money.) Last I knew, AV Science was running a CEDIA special and selling b-stock machines at a significant discount, but I don't recall the exact price. That was a month ago, though. Call Mike Garrett at 585-671-2968 to see if they still have any deals.

If you want to go cheaper, then you can look at something like Kal's RS56 used (or it's lower-end brother the RS46). That was the first generation with the DC lamp. The last JVC I had was a generation older - the RS45, which didn't have the DC lamp. That gen did have some issues with going through lamps very prematurely, though mine was still rock solid at 950-some hours. JVC took care of most of the owners, but it still sucked.

Questions? Ask away. I have notes somewhere on the various JVC projector generations and the install/non-install model numbers (i.e. X550 vs. RS400 which are the same machine).

Do you have a target budget in mind?

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Joust

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I was looking for something cheaper than $4000.
half of that perhaps.
I think i'll stick with the DC bulbs so thanks for that list Kal
looks like the rs65 i was following on ebay is an older AC bulb model. If i read this correctly the last digit in the number has something to do with its year of manufacture.

I'll give that fell a call SC. thanks a lot for the tip.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the DLA-RS65 was the top of the line when I bought my RS45 - RS45, RS55, RS65. Excellent, high-contrast projector. First/earliest implementation of e-Shift. I'd go a little newer, and lower-end to meet your price point.

Don't know about the model number; I've never detected any rhyme or reason to them.

The RS46 was the entry-level machine in 2012 - the same model year as Kal's mid-range RS56. The top machine was the RS66 that year. I don't recall the non-installation X?? model number that cross-reference to those.

A good compromise would be in the middle - the 2013/2014 models. An RS49 or RS4910 was $4995 and $5195 MSRP respectively, and could probably be found for your target budget. They aren't UHD, but the e-Shift 3, which is the third-generation (latest is fourth gen).

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here you go...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/2620089-jvc-dla-rs4910-4k-eshift-projector.html

Low-hour 4910 with extra lamp and the 3D emitter for $2250. That's a solid deal on what appears to be a nice, clean, low-hour, like-new machine.

There's another 4910 a couple of pages back for similar money, but no extras and no photos.

There's also a near-new RS400 for $3k.

As long as you don't care about UHD, the 4910 would be a great move from CRT to JVC/digital. It's an excellent projector for that kind of money.

Cheers,
SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Low-hour 4910 with extra lamp and the 3D emitter for $2250. That's a solid deal on what appears to be a nice, clean, low-hour, like-new machine.

That is a good deal.

FWIW Barry, I think you'd be very happy with a recent model on the lower end of the lineup instead of an older one that was a higher end model. I don't think you'd really notice the contrast ratio difference.

Kal

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Kal and Steve have said. While the 4910 that crabb linked is a good deal, you might be better off spending the extra cash on a 400. JVC is now seemingly on a two year upgrade cycle. They said the the delta between the current models and last generation is much greater than the last generation and the one that preceded it.

Personally, I would either go with a 400 for around $3k or an older model for around $1k. I believe you missed out on the JVC Cedia deal. I talked to Mike Garrett a couple of weeks ago and he says they get b-stock in from time to time, but you need to be on the list. They sell out quickly. IIRC the b-stock 400s are around $2800.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jvc-procision-dla-x750r-3d-d-ila-projector-review#dEshuouBWHLSO8xI.97
Kris reviewed the mid range model, but touches on UHD and the rest of the line up.

Finally, you can go the new forum and ask AVscience there. There has been some turmoil going on between them and the forum. Big surprise with Vertical Scam. Rolling Eyes
http://discuss.avscience.com/?action=forum

By the way, I told Mike a couple of times they should hook up with Kal to make the new forum. They have been having some teething problems trying to get it up and running.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Personally, I would either go with a 400 for around $3k or an older model for around $1k. I believe you missed out on the JVC Cedia deal. I talked to Mike Garrett a couple of weeks ago and he says they get b-stock in from time to time, but you need to be on the list. They sell out quickly. IIRC the b-stock 400s are around $2800.

I don't totally disagree on your "go with the $1000 model or spend $3000 on an RS400" approach. But, I think the 4910 is a very nice middle-ground and there's plenty of difference between a $1000 RS46 and a $2200 4910 to warrant the price difference. The RS46 is a slightly upgraded RS45 like I had (still with no e-Shift), while the 4910 is e-Shift 3, a tad more contrast, dynamic iris, and better convergence control. He'd have to go to something like an RS48, and the price isn't going to be a grand; it's probably going to be more like $1300-1400, and then he may as well just grab that 4910.

The RS400 is a steal at $2800, though. Personally, I'd just wait and stretch the budget and just go there if at all possible. That's the kind of deal I'm hoping to score whenever I'm ready. I can't pay retail for anything anymore. Wink

Yay! Another forum to try to monitor. Just what we needed! I *totally* understand why they did it, but I'm not sure another forum was the best approach. I guess it's just another thing to monitor on Tapatalk.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you are coming from, but I would rather have a $1k pj to hold me over till the 400 hits my price range. That may happen next year. Of course, I would like you push the budget for the 400. The great thing about the 400 is that it may not be 4k, but it can take UHD. With the 400, you are future proof for a couple of years.

[quote="ecrabb"]
Spanky Ham wrote:

Yay! Another forum to try to monitor. Just what we needed! I *totally* understand why they did it, but I'm not sure another forum was the best approach. I guess it's just another thing to monitor on Tapatalk.

SC

LOL, I know what you mean and I thought the same when Mike told me about it. I think they were tired of VS playing games with them. You notice that AVS changed their logo that AVscience owns.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size and gain screen are you going to use Barry?

Kal

Joust

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
What size and gain screen are you going to use Barry?

Kal

hadn't really thought that far ahead.
my room is a few months off yet. probably look for recomendations
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask because the newer lines of JVCs is considerably brighter than older models so factor that in.

A projector setup should be thought of as a system of two parts: Screen and projector (and I suppose room to some degree too). The parts have to be chosen to match.

You wouldn't want a 12' wide screen on (say) the projector I use. It would be too dim.

There's also some personal preference that comes into play too: The higher the screen gain, the wider you can go, but the more it'll hotspot. Up to you to decide what's acceptable and also how the seating is arranged (ie: the more off-axis seating you have, the more it'll hotspot). As well, the shorter the throw distance the brighter the projector. The problem is that the closer you install it to the screen, the worst the contrast ratio. So yet someone else that has be to considered. There's no right or wrong answer to either of these.

I would wait to buy a projector until after you've planned for how the room's going to laid out, what size screen works, where the seating is, how the light control works, and so forth.

Kal

Joust

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i see...well the space won't allow a screen that large.
it'll likely be less than 10', closer to 8'
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would figure out the space and seating first and then let us know what sort of space you're working with. Then people can offer suggestions. That said, if it's 8' wide or less then you're likely ok with just about any JVC.

My screen's 8' wide and I have my projector installed about as far back in the room as I can (behind a second row of seats) to maximize contrast ratio at the expense of light output. My screen gain's just above unity and can run at the recommended 14 ft/L of brightness, most of which I can do with the projector in low power lamp mode (instead of high power) so that the projector is dead silent. In high power lamp mode you can hear the projector. Not overly objectionable but not silent.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I would figure out the space and seating first and then let us know what sort of space you're working with. Then people can offer suggestions. That said, if it's 8' wide or less then you're likely ok with just about any JVC.

This. Even an old RS2 or RS20 is fine on an 8-foot wide screen; they'll still be brighter than a CRT.

kal wrote:
In high power lamp mode you can hear the projector. Not overly objectionable but not silent.

Just to put that in perspective, even when a JVC is "loud" in high-power mode, it's still far quieter than any CRT projector. You can hear it from across the room, but quietly - in contrast with a CRT, which you can hear in the next room over. Wink But, yes... In low-lamp mode, in my old room, I had to be within a couple of feet of the projector to hear it. Unless it was completely dead silent in the room, I couldn't hear it at all from my seat, which was slightly in front and below the projector - like six feet. If it would have been in the back of the room like yours is Kal, I would never have been able to hear it at all.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
kal wrote:
In high power lamp mode you can hear the projector. Not overly objectionable but not silent.

Just to put that in perspective, even when a JVC is "loud" in high-power mode, it's still far quieter than any CRT projector. You can hear it from across the room, but quietly - in contrast with a CRT, which you can hear in the next room over. Wink

True. Good point. Marquee's aren't what I'd call a quiet projector and that's what Barry's used to. I had my previous Barco 808 hushboxed with insulation in the hushbox and that was louder than my current JVC on high lamp mode. On low lamp (the other setting) it is truly inaudible. You have get within a foot or two of it to realize it's even on like SC mentioned.

Quote:
If it would have been in the back of the room like yours is Kal, I would never have been able to hear it at all.

Yup. That's one of the reasons why I love it. Wink

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a bit more as the way these digitals (and JVCs) work in terms of light output is different from what you're used with with any CRT:

CRT light output's controlled by the contrast setting. On digitals you don't do that - you set contrast to the default setting and that's it. Going up or down clips white levels - it doesn't add more light output. Instead that's done with the two lamp modes: High and low. Then there's an iris that you can open/close to fine tune the amount of light output. Normally you'd start on low lamp and open up the iris enough to get about ~14 ftL. Over time the bulb will dim slowly and you open up the iris a notch or two. I use a $10 light meter from ebay to measure the light output, or you can just eyeball it too. I usually check every few hundred hours or as I start to think "that's getting kinda dim". It's quick/easy to do. Takes 2 mins. Once you start dropping below 14ftL with the lamp mode on low and you've completely opened up the iris, you switch to high lamp and close the iris down enough to get back to about 14ftL... then you continue until the lamp's reached the lifespan. My model projector says the lamps will last ~4000 hours and there's a warning at 2900 to change the lamp. Some will run them past the 2900 warning point but I don't as when the lamp goes it can explode which can damage some of the sensitive stuff in the projector. For me it's not worth the risk.

Interestingly enough, my first lamp go well into the 2000 hours before I had to switch to high lamp mode. I'm about 1200 hours into my second bulb now but I had to switch to high lamp near the 1000 hour mark as the light output had dropped faster than the first one. Both are original JVC lamps (not knockoffs) bought from the dealer I bought the projector from (http://www.quebecacoustic.com/).

More info here that you may find helpful when switching from CRT to digital:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973

Kal

nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super happy with the x900. Eshift, but non hdcp compliant so uhd doesn't work. It was heavily discounted, just before the arrival of the hdcp compliant model (9000?) that cost more than double. picture is stunning. Smooth and detailed, I'm very happy. I just run mine on low power with the auto iris. Screen is 10 foot wide and is plenty bright, even on 3d. Maybe one day I'll investigate cih.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
I'm super happy with the x900. Eshift, but non hdcp compliant so uhd doesn't work. It was heavily discounted, just before the arrival of the hdcp compliant model (9000?) that cost more than double. picture is stunning. Smooth and detailed, I'm very happy. I just run mine on low power with the auto iris. Screen is 10 foot wide and is plenty bright, even on 3d. Maybe one day I'll investigate cih.

Nice! That's great to hear, John!

Your X900 is also the RS67. The RS6710 was the same machine, but higher-priced and included a spare lamp and had a 5-year warranty instead of 3-year. Same with the RS49 vs 4910. JVC's model lineup with the two different division is ridiculously confusing to keep them all straight.

The RS400, RS500, and RS600 (X550/750/950) are the 2016 machines that replaced your 2014 machines. They're brighter and have compliant UHD inputs and e-shift 4. It's a pretty significant upgrade over your machine, but yours is also an excellent projector. I buy at the lower-end of the range, so the RS400 is likely the machine that will go in my theater when I get to that point.

Cheers,
SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: