Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Schneider Cinelux 2x Anamorphic Lens with Digi PJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Schneider Cinelux 2x Anamorphic Lens with Digi PJ Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wondering if a Schneider Cinelux Anamorphic 2x MC projector lens (for one of the old cinema film PJs) would work with a digital PJ?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought one, even if it isn't going to work with a projector, I can use it with my DSLR camera, I've been researching how and its pretty fascinating, and the end rsult is a photo that looks like it was made in Hollywood! Besides, it will be a fun experiment for only $85, and I've wasted far more than than on far more stupid things Wink

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it will work if it's big enough for the lens on your projector.

You lucky dog, you!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'm sure it will work if it's big enough for the lens on your projector.

You lucky dog, you!

That's what my thoughts were as well. It's pretty massive so I'm hoping for the best (90mm diameter if the research is correct). If it does work I might get a 2nd one since they are actually a reasonable price. I'm going to have to make a mount for it since the only mounts available are for DSLR cameras and no projectors. It shouldn't be too hard though, and if it does work it'll be worth it.

It's only luck if it does what I want Wink But thanks! I am feeling kinda lucky Wink

I'll do some pics and screenshots once it arrives as well Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to run anamorphic lenses but the cost would be STAGGERING, to make high quality anamorphs made for the 6" diameter lenses on my CRT projectors, and I'd need THREE of them.

I estimate it'd cost 20K per lens.

PASS.

Unless I win a large lottery.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the price is really what has kept me from buying them for the last few years. Finally just decided to do it and see how it works out. The lens is supposed to be pretty top notch (according to schneiders website it was a $5000 lens). People who use it for their DSLR cameras say the glass is sharp and overall just a quality lens, so if it works, it should look good to boot. A lot of the lower cost Anamorphic lenses that have been made for digital PJs that I've read about tend to have less sharpness and results in poor focus on the edges. From the pics I've seen with the Schneider, its crispy edge to edge.

You could always do DIY Anamorphic lenses for the CRT PJ, I thought about that as well, but I just don't think I'd be happy with the results (or quality of my building skills Razz )

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been interested in picking one of these up just to play with, Jeremy. The only concern I have is their utility, which I think is why the prices are so low. On a 35mm camera, it'll be compressing the image horizontally, so it's like a wide-angle adapter lens, but one that distorts the hell out of the image and probably adds some vignetting on any shorter focal length lenses. Both would be easy to correct in Photoshop, but then you could just start with a regular wide-angle lens and just crop the image and have about the same quality.

From my understanding, the Cinemascope anamorphic lenses were 2:1, so on a projector, it's going to make a 16:9 (1.78:1) image go to 3.56:1, which is of course of questionable utility. Now, a 4:3 projector, though... That would make a 2.66:1 image, and a 5:4 projector would yield a 2.5:1 image, which is pretty close to 2.35/2.4... That would definitely be interesting! The only bummer is none of those projectors in that aspect ratio very high resolution. I think 1600x1200 is about the best you'll do, and of course you'll need a Lumagen or at least a PC to take care of the aspect ratio correction, though.

Sounds like fun, though! Definitely interested in hearing about the results of your experiments!!!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Steve. That's all stuff I considered before buying the lens, but curiousity got the best of me and I just have to find out for myself how this will work. I knew there was 2 different types of anamorphic lenses (compress or stretch), but as you said, it could also work on a 4:3 projector, which I have a few nice Digital Projection SXGA+ units that would benefit from the lens (I've also wanted to try one on a 4:3 unit so not all is lost if the widescreen PJs can't use it!)

As far as vignetting goes on the DSLR, I haven't seen anyone mention it with the particular lens I bought, but there are some ring adapters that need to be used to make it compatible with a DSLR. I have to admit, the results are quite amazing for the photos/video people have done with them. So I may want to try it on the DSLR anyway, it would definitely be fun to shoot some video in cinemascope!

The lens should be here by Friday, it got shipped yesterday from Utah, so then the fun can begin! IF I can make it work with 16:9 projection, I'll likely use it with the Qualia 004 (once I send the PSU for it off to Curt).

I'm pretty excited to try this out and see the results! (if you can't tell Razz )

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a bit of a surprise to me this morning, but the lens will be here already! Looking forward to unboxing and trying it out to see what I can do with it!!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaannnnd here it is!! I looked at my widescreen LCD through it and :O super wide. Time to test this baby out!!!

_MG_1139.JPG
 Description:
Anamorphic Lens
 Filesize:  260.54 KB
 Viewed:  11431 Time(s)

_MG_1139.JPG

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, did some playing around with it so far, and crabb was right, on a 16:9 PJ the image stretches out incredibly wide, BUT, between the PJ and the PC, you can actually make a 3.56:1 screen and AR of the movie with this lens. The downside (and this happens on both 4:3 and 16:9 PJs) is the lens pincushions the image, so it really isn't suitable for a digital PJ. At least not without modifying it with some lens elements to fit into the PJ being used that is (which is far beyond what I want to do).

Anyway, I'm sure some want to see pics anyway. So I've taken 2 photos of "Star Trek 2009" with the lens in place and without it to show how squeezed the image is.

I'm using a ProjectionDesign F20 SX+ SXGA+ machine to do this, and honestly, if the whole image fit through the lens and didn't pincushion, no one would be able to tell if it was a 1080p machine or not.

I'm sold on anamorphic lens use for a digital after just playing with this one for a half hour, its simply amazing to witness in person!!

Anyway, Pics: (Sorry for the bad quality)

Edit: The image DOES fit through the lens, I simply forgot to zoom out Razz Still pincushions unfortunately...

_MG_1141.JPG
 Description:
Squeezed image without anamorphic Lens
 Filesize:  95.64 KB
 Viewed:  11422 Time(s)

_MG_1141.JPG

_MG_1140.JPG
 Description:
Anamorphic Lens in place
 Filesize:  103.55 KB
 Viewed:  11422 Time(s)

_MG_1140.JPG

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one with the zoom properly zoomed out (yes the PJ isn't centered on the screen, I know Razz ) Its a very crispy lens, and you're seeing all 1400x1050 pixels being used by the movie Very Happy

_MG_1143.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.05 KB
 Viewed:  11417 Time(s)

_MG_1143.JPG

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much fun! I have a vertical anamorphic very nice to play with

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: