Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony GDM-F520 Monitor Ringing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Sony GDM-F520 Monitor Ringing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good evening,

I'm not having much luck with my displays as of late. In addition to my G70 issues, I have a GDM-F520 monitor that exhibits signal overshoot. I've verified that it's not the cables as it will do this with anything I connect to it. I've pulled the video amplifier board but I cannot see anything obvious (cold solder joints, etc). What could be causing this? Do I need to add some resistors to the circuit so that it cuts down on the overshoot? I can take a picture of it if you all would like.

Thanks
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures please

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I'm trying to get a pic of it in action but like a misbehaving child, it won't play...

I'll see if I can get one after work but essentially it looks something like this. Let's pretend the image is of a bar:

|

What I see sometimes is a ghost image of that bar that fades to nothing. Kind of like this:

||||

You have to use your imagination and imagine the bars fade as they go to the right. I see this on EVERYTHING of course. Like I said, I'll try and snap a pic this afternoon.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from work and it's still not misbehaving. Maybe I should just randomly start these kinds of threads so that it gets self-conscious and performs well? Very Happy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a car that makes a noise until the moment you pull onto the garage lot.

CRT.

HD done right!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. Though I did get witness it ringing again, but I couldn't capture it with my camera. I may play with the shutter speeds so that I can capture it. Actually... There's a picture of monitor ringing on my other forum (it's another dude's monitor but same thing) - I may just find it and post it here so that you can see. Sorry for making you wait. Smile
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down to the picture. https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widescreen-crt-fw900-from-ebay-arrived-comments.952788/page-327

This is essentially what it's doing. When I jiggle the cable, it clears it up, but it comes back. I believe there is some issues with the video board on the monitor.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Scroll down to the picture. https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widescreen-crt-fw900-from-ebay-arrived-comments.952788/page-327

This is essentially what it's doing. When I jiggle the cable, it clears it up, but it comes back. I believe there is some issues with the video board on the monitor.

Does your monitor have a removable cable? Does your current cable have RF chokes on it? ( the round clamped on things 3-4 inches from the ends)

CRT.

HD done right!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

Does your monitor have a removable cable? Does your current cable have RF chokes on it? ( the round clamped on things 3-4 inches from the ends)

By chokes you mean the things that screw into the VGA terminals? Yes. The cable detaches but all cables exhibit this behavior, even the RGBHV (yes - the monitor has an RGBHV input - it can sync on green too).
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

By chokes you mean the things that screw into the VGA terminals? Yes. The cable detaches but all cables exhibit this behavior, even the RGBHV (yes - the monitor has an RGBHV input - it can sync on green too).

It's the round things about 3 inches from the plug on the cable.

CRT.

HD done right!
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
When I jiggle the cable, it clears it up, but it comes back. I believe there is some issues with the video board on the monitor.

Hi,

Maybe the contacts at the connector could be needing some cleaning or have lost their mechanical strength. Or You might have some kind of ground loop effect. What happens if You plug the monitor's power plug upside-down into the socket?

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
When I jiggle the cable, it clears it up, but it comes back. I believe there is some issues with the video board on the monitor.

Hi,

Maybe the contacts at the connector could be needing some cleaning or have lost their mechanical strength. Or You might have some kind of ground loop effect. What happens if You plug the monitor's power plug upside-down into the socket?

Regards,
barclay66

It's a three-prong so I'm not sure that I can do that. I can try though.

I'm going to be in and out for the next week or so. We just had our second child (woohoo!), so I have full run fo the house while mom and baby are at the hospital. And that means wrangling a rambunctious toddler. Very Happy
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

There are more important things than tech stuff...
View user's photo album (25 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Congrats!

There are more important things than tech stuff...

Of course! But while they're napping I'll have some downtime to tinker. Very Happy
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

It's the round things about 3 inches from the plug on the cable.

Yes it has them.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small bump to get interest going again. The cable has chokes but alas the monitor still displays the same signal ringing. Doesn't matter which input I use either.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread from the dead. May create a new thread if anyone cares - or may PM some people who know what they're doing for some questions. What typically is involved in signal ringing issues with a monitor? Especially if it's intermittent?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connection issues, baad cables/poor performing cables, corrosion on contacts, loose neck card on back of CRT. Maybe agging capacitors or cold solder joint inside monitor.

CRT.

HD done right!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Connection issues, baad cables/poor performing cables, corrosion on contacts, loose neck card on back of CRT. Maybe agging capacitors or cold solder joint inside monitor.

So I'm pretty sure it's not bad cables because the issue shows up no matter what input/cable I use (I have a few VGA cables and some BNC cables and swapping them all around doesn't clear the issue). So we can rule that out.

Connection issues... I guess I can check that out as well? The cable going into the neckboard is hard-wired into the darn thing so simply changing that out won't be very easy. I can check the neck of the crt as well.

One thing that has helped somewhat is not putting the video board all the way down into the connector of the motherboard. It produces a "shimmering" effect sometimes but no ringing. So I'm wondering if it's the connector at the bottom of the board.

Any obvious things to look for on the video board itself? When capacitors age, do they start to bulge? Or will I need some test equipment? If so - what?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capacitors start to bulge on top.

You may try getting some Caigs DeOxit cleaner and cleaning all the contacts in your monitor too.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: