Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

UHD Blu Ray on CRT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yeah, that'll happen.

Right after you ditch your cell phone and plug in your rotary dial phone again, right?

Wink

Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Thumbs Down
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've begun making the parts lists to do the Chris Stephens mods on a 9500. Those wet slug tants are expensive! The eight he recommends putting in the HVPS could run a thousand bucks!

Oh, I'll do it, but I'll spread out the expenditure over a period of probably several months.

Fortunately, none of the other board mods are all that expensive.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Sure, but I was talking about back in the day when the CRT projector was what they sold, digital was not yet big and well developed, and they didn't sell many projectors into the home theater market, mostly because that was at the time very much a small niche market. Today, most companies making projectors that wants to keep their doors open is selling mostly home theater product and some of them don't even have a product line tailored for industrial and commercial applications.

Interestingly, VDC is totally focused on government contract work, with some commercial sales, does NOT cater to the home theatre market, and in their case that business model is successful.

Actually, Barco also has a similarly successful business model, and that's why I'm not saying that you HAVE to cater to home theatre in order to be successful making projectors. But we know that most projectors sold these days are aimed at that market.

I guess you don't know the market as well as you think you do. I believe most of the projectors sold these days are going anywhere but HT. This market is a smaller subset of the overall pj market. I would guess no more than twenty percent. JVC is making a pretty good penny with their laser based pjs for the sim market. I think they are around $10k more than their HT counterparts.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but I don't have sales figures for any company in the projector business to refer to.

You could be right. But I tend to believe that simulators are less common than home theaters, and by a wide margin.

At the top end of the market, I suspect that simulators dominate sales. Large corporations don't have any problem buying multiple projectors with five or six figure price tags for inclusion in simulators that sell for millions.

At the bottom end of the market, "casual" home theater owners spending a few hundred bucks for an LCD projector would probably account for the lion's share of sales when you count units sold. Or possibly companies buying projectors for boardroom display purposes might buy as many or even more. Not sure, I'd only be guessing.

I can say, pretty surely, that the most expensive projectors, the large screen, ultra brightness models, are purchased almost exclusively for usage in the rental staging industry. Rock concerts, arena events, festivals, and what have you. It might SOUND fun but only the most megalomanical multi-millionaire will buy a Barco HDQ 4K-35 for his home theater.

I admit, I do love to play around with the ultra brightness 3 chip DLP units when I encounter them. But I would not call them practical for a home theater.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, doing a little bit of research, if the Analog Devices ADV7619 HDMI 1.4 receiver chip is used, it can be set to output YCrCb 4:2:2, which can be transcoded to RGBHV comparatively easily.

So, there is a possible pathway to get RGBHV from 4K into the projector.

Does Moome use this chip or one with similar output capacity? I'd imagine he does, at least for the Sony card.

My guess is that any HDMI receiver chip provides YCrCb if it provides any analog outputs at all. Then transcode with a circuit that is really not very complicated.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried the Panasonic or Samsung UHD Blu Ray Player on a CRT ?

No HDR and 1080p of course but we are also having Dolby Atmos exclusive on the 4K discs.

cheers
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok we did with a Samsung. First on a flat TV (1080p). 'UHD' looks stunning. Same on the CRT.

1080p without HDR of course.

image.jpeg
 Description:
UHD
 Filesize:  113.1 KB
 Viewed:  3845 Time(s)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 Description:
BluRay
 Filesize:  104.63 KB
 Viewed:  3845 Time(s)

image.jpeg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go for the upgrade Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: