Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SEOS 919 aka Barco 909 SP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
That looks like your vacuum cleaner. Laughing Nice work!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Thumbs Up

And now we know how to split a Cine 9 without the cable. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Francisco: Do the split packs have less noise vs. a normal chassis ?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Definitely not! They run fullspeed. I replaced the 2 fans in optical unit by papst fans with resistor to bring speed down.
They only need to cool the tubes and end-stages so they run very slow and you can't hear them. The main boards unit is in the Attic with a 17cm acoustically preparated floor, so I don't hear that one either.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the jumper to prevent them to run full speed.

Another way would be a firmware flush with the Cine9 software ?!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reply for you after more than a year Very Happy

Yes is possible with firmware from cine9 but then it won't do high resolutions and the electronic box isn't designed for the fans to run on low speed, so it isn't advisable to do. You can with a 909 or 919 Front projector

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I've been thinking a long time what to do, and I'm still in doubt. Sell my beloved split pack, or still keep it a-side. I'll re-design my Home Theater it will be smaller, and therefore will need a smaller digital pj (did I just say that?)
The thing is that this Seos 919 split pack is very special and still gives a really nice picture with the best PQ on a High-end Barco. I think it's the only one in the world with these modifications:

- Simu grade LUG tubes from Greg Eisemann with only around 600hr on it and no wear.
- Fully modified videochain up to end-stages
- Moome internal HD input board which fits better with Eisemann's modified videochain giving it's best 1:1
- Fully modified motherboard (future proof)
- Modified fan's in optical unit, super silent.
- Modified cabling between main and optical unit, low distortion.
- All boards are like new
- Colored c-elements and HFQ900 lenses
Oh and I have all the boards one for spare as well.

So main question will rise what will all this be worth these days? I'm looking for someone that will enjoy it for a long time and knows what it is, and how it works. The picture still is really good. Therefore I think I wan't to sell it as a whole rather than selling it in parts, because this combination is really the summum. Also someone from the CRT community would be nice. That's why I post it here on Curt forum.
If I brake any forum rules with this post please let me know and I will delete. It is not my intention to do so.
Will see if I can post some pictures of it.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco wrote:
Hi Guys,
I've been thinking a long time what to do, and I'm still in doubt. Sell my beloved split pack, or still keep it a-side. I'll re-design my Home Theater it will be smaller, and therefore will need a smaller digital pj (did I just say that?)
The thing is that this Seos 919 split pack is very special and still gives a really nice picture with the best PQ on a High-end Barco. I think it's the only one in the world with these modifications:

- Simu grade LUG tubes from Greg Eisemann with only around 600hr on it and no wear.
- Fully modified videochain up to end-stages
- Moome internal HD input board which fits better with Eisemann's modified videochain giving it's best 1:1
- Fully modified motherboard (future proof)
- Modified fan's in optical unit, super silent.
- Modified cabling between main and optical unit, low distortion.
- All boards are like new
- Colored c-elements and HFQ900 lenses
Oh and I have all the boards one for spare as well.

So main question will rise what will all this be worth these days? I'm looking for someone that will enjoy it for a long time and knows what it is, and how it works. The picture still is really good. Therefore I think I wan't to sell it as a whole rather than selling it in parts, because this combination is really the summum. Also someone from the CRT community would be nice. That's why I post it here on Curt forum.
If I brake any forum rules with this post please let me know and I will delete. It is not my intention to do so.
Will see if I can post some pictures of it.

Well if you sell it then you better change your avatar;-) It's not going to be worth anywhere close to what you have invested. I would keep it aside just in case. More than once, someone has come back to CRT from digital and you would have a hard time assembling the same unit again.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB is right that it's probably going to be fairly worthless compared to what you paid for it and the upgrades. CRT is about as valuable these days as 8 track tape decks.

If that unit was in the USA, I could see it actually selling for $1000. Any higher and it would probably sit unless someone specifically wanted/needed what your machine is/has/can do.

Problem is, CRT is gigantic, heavy as hell, complex to setup. Digital has actually gotten to the point that CRT really can't compare anymore. It had it's day, and that day has passed us by. Digital reigns supreme in pretty much every aspect of video, and you don't have to be an expert to operate or set one up.

It sounds like it has more sentimental value than monetary value from the way you described it, so if I were you, I would hang onto it and just keep it.

That's the sad reality...

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Europe price might be the same as in the US, if you are very lucky.
Then it has to be in Perfect condition and you have to find a person that knows CRT and adore CRT.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

Problem is, CRT is gigantic, heavy as hell, complex to setup. Digital has actually gotten to the point that CRT really can't compare anymore. It had it's day, and that day has passed us by. Digital reigns supreme in pretty much every aspect of video, and you don't have to be an expert to operate or set one up.

I wouldn't recommend a CRT to anyone. All though I have yet to see a digital (commercially or otherwise) with a black level comparable to my setup, CRT has far too many variables and it does require expert set up and maintenance to get max performance. However, those messing around with HDR have their own slew of problems to deal with.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. However I disagree. There are still people who embrace CRT and Barco 909 series in particular.
I still do, it's more about that it will not fit anymore. Also with digitals they are better in a lot of things like light, resolution, HDR etc. But some things like digital artifacts image processing etc. CRT still is better. Somehow analogue (CRT) technology is smooth and very friendly to watch. I still like that very much.
A month ago I sold a 909 front projector for around € 3000,- with a set of new tubes. Not so nicely modified as my split pack, but in mint condition and also with a lot of extra's. But I agree that it's not worth what I invested in it and that's okay, I'm a realist.
However anyone who want's to takeover my adventure (which I actually would have liked to enjoyed longer) just let me know.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jbmeyer13"]
Jeremy112 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend a CRT to anyone. All though I have yet to see a digital (commercially or otherwise) with a black level comparable to my setup, CRT has far too many variables and it does require expert set up and maintenance to get max performance.

Funny, yet I probably sold about 1000 sets over an 18 year period to people putting in home theaters, most of them complete newbies that I successfully walked through the setup, never mind the 1000s more people that I walked through troubleshooting and pulling out modules.

Sure, I agree that CRT now is a very tiny sliver of a niche market, but to write off CRT now, saying it needs an expert to enjoy it is way off the mark... in my opinion of course. I steer newbies away from CRT now not because I don't think they can do it, but because I'm not stocking anything but 9" sets now, and a limited number at that. I still get at least one CRT newbie calling or emailing every month, but most I turn towards digital due to too much ambient light, the wrong throw distance, or because the person wanted to buy the $50 BArco 'Special' that I haven't stocked in 10 years.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I would get scolded for saying such things about CRT (don't forget, I have one of my own! Razz ) but facts are just facts.

Those who choose to go with CRT still do for their own specific desires. As for digital not being black enough, or having artifacts... Then you're looking at the wrong digital projector setup, or it's using sub-standard source material like a stream.

Some of JVC's last few projectors have blacks so black you don't even know they're on in a black room unless you turn around and see the LED's on it lit up. I also think having a pitch black contrast is way overrated. Who want's to just sit in a dark hole through a 2 hour movie? I get it at the theater.. they're cramming a lot of people in there so they can make money off of them. In a home theater setup, I would think it would be more ideal to make the space more versatile and usable with having some lighting while being able to still easily see the projected image. This isn't 1992 where projectors put out 650 (non ansi) lumens anymore...

Not trying to knock anyone's choice for sticking with CRT, I plan on setting my G90 up even with my digital in use, specifically for non HD material however (and more specifically vintage video games). Besides, the whole point of this hobby is to enjoy what you have!! Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find that black and blacklevels (and not contrast) can not be overrated. Might be true that JVC now makes absolute black by closing the iris but that is just not the same Thumbs Down This picture from the calibration section on Curt's shows how our vision is much more sensitive to low level light than it is to high level light. It is the opposite of the famous gamma correction curve of course.

"We have already perceived 50% of the difference between black and peak output when only approximately 18% of the stimulus is received."

That is why a movie in the dark is just more fun and visible Smile
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22002

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen all new digitals from JVC and Sony.

As they are all lamp based the cannot be completely black.
The iris is the biggest fake of all time which does not work in realtime.

Additional to that the panel response in compare to CRT is still not on the same level.

And not to forget field interpolation like motionflow which looks like %$ŁĄ.

A 9 incher is still on top.

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
I have seen all new digitals from JVC and Sony.

As they are all lamp based the cannot be completely black.
The iris is the biggest fake of all time which does not work in realtime.

Additional to that the panel response in compare to CRT is still not on the same level.

And not to forget field interpolation like motionflow which looks like %$ŁĄ.

A 9 incher is still on top.

ElTopo

Then you haven't checked out JVC's laser model, or the Sony VW885ES or VW5000ES. There is no comparison, they smoke CRT in every way, except maybe for response time, which is even gotten much better as well, to the point that it could be considered a non issue on many new machines. Frame interpolation can be turned on or off, its not a forced thing, it's just like any other function you have control over on a projector.

Also, some Laser DLP projectors also come extremely close to having excellent ansi CR, and have excellent on/off as well.

If you haven't personally experienced said technology (like gotten to play with it and how it works) then you really can't make a claim that CRT is better still.

You are right, CRT isn't on the same level as some of these newer machines, it's below Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Personally I find that black and blacklevels (and not contrast) can not be overrated. Might be true that JVC now makes absolute black by closing the iris but that is just not the same Thumbs Down This picture from the calibration section on Curt's shows how our vision is much more sensitive to low level light than it is to high level light. It is the opposite of the famous gamma correction curve of course.

"We have already perceived 50% of the difference between black and peak output when only approximately 18% of the stimulus is received."

That is why a movie in the dark is just more fun and visible Smile
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22002

There's far more to video than how great the blacks or contrast is. The only major benefit of CRT these days, is that it costs less than laser based projectors. Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked about lamp based projectors Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: