Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Bio underground, my CRT cinema

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nombz



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Bio underground, my CRT cinema Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It has been a big project but now very close to finished.

An acoustics specialist was hired for the job of designing all the acoustics things (and there are quite a lot of special solutions).
The BG1209s/E is still king in this new cinema, I was looking for replacements but couldnt find anything that was better (some were close, but to spend 15k$ it has to be better, not just different).

This is what I started out with:


This is what it currently looks like:









There is a pretty long building thread here: http://www.faktiskt.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56039 but it is in Swedish, quite a lot of pictures though.

_________________
BarcoGraphics 1208s/2 and BarcoGraphics 1209s/E
Back to top
Spanky Ham



Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5634
Location: Comedy Central


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice. I am curious why you went with hard wood floors?
Back to top
Nashou66



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 16167
Location: West Seneca NY


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice!!!!!


Love it when someone builds a brand new theater and goes with CRT !!!


Thumbs Up

Athanasios

_________________
Don't blame your underwear for your crooked ass~ unknown Greek philosopher


"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
nombz



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
It looks nice. I am curious why you went with hard wood floors?

Thanks! What else would I have used? For build technical reasons its a good choice to avoid problems with water.
Its gravel on the bottom, then 20cm of styrofoam and then 10cm of concreate. On top of that the floor.

Also, the acoustic consultant (who builds a lot of studios in Sweden) thinks it is a good idea (oh, and there is now a thick carpet on some places on the floor) to control the reflection. You want some of it, (thats is why the walls and roof looks like they do) but not all.

_________________
BarcoGraphics 1208s/2 and BarcoGraphics 1209s/E


Last edited by nombz on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
nombz



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Very Nice!!!!!


Love it when someone builds a brand new theater and goes with CRT !!!


Thumbs Up

Athanasios


Thanks!

I actually thought I was going to go digital in the new cinema, but after watching a lot of them the Barco sticks. Its a bit loud, but I think I will try to build some sort of hushbox.

_________________
BarcoGraphics 1208s/2 and BarcoGraphics 1209s/E
Back to top
Nashou66



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 16167
Location: West Seneca NY


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree some reflection is good, and certain woods actually are great for sound. Pear wood is one that comes to mind.

Nashou

_________________
Don't blame your underwear for your crooked ass~ unknown Greek philosopher


"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jeffslife



Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 4031
Location: ohio usa


PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center channel looks identical to the front L & R only not as tall, How is that ? Also the rear surrounds have the tweeter on the bottom, what is the reason for that ?
_________________
We are ALL job creators !
Back to top
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jeffslife



Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 4031
Location: ohio usa


PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Beautiful !!!
_________________
We are ALL job creators !
Back to top
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Spanky Ham



Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5634
Location: Comedy Central


PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nombz wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
It looks nice. I am curious why you went with hard wood floors?

Thanks! What else would I have used? For build technical reasons its a good choice to avoid problems with water.
Its gravel on the bottom, then 20cm of styrofoam and then 10cm of concreate. On top of that the floor.

Also, the acoustic consultant (who builds a lot of studios in Sweden) thinks it is a good idea (oh, and there is now a thick carpet on some places on the floor) to control the reflection. You want some of it, (thats is why the walls and roof looks like they do) but not all.


Most people go with carpet throughout. You are correct that you don't want to much sound deadening. I think it is 20% to 40% sound absorbtion material around the room IIRC.
Back to top
nombz



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
The center channel looks identical to the front L & R only not as tall, How is that ? Also the rear surrounds have the tweeter on the bottom, what is the reason for that ?


The center is identical in filter and drivers, but it is deeper (to get the same volume). That is why it is not as tall.
When (or if) I go digital I will also replace the screen with something that acoustical transparent and then the center could be exactly the same.

The surrounds are placed closer to the ceiling and apparently then you should turn them upside down (my consultants idea, I read the paper he had on it and it was very convincing Smile ). I guess it has to do with which frequencies are reflected at what time.

There is also more speakers than you actually see also. Its 9.2 setup actually so including front wide speakers. Also the surrounds are "hidden" (not the back surround though).
The .2 is two krakken sub horns (dual 12" drivers in each). They are actually built into the front wall.

You see them in this picture (yeah, its the small boxes (140kg each...) between the fronts).

This is a picture from the initial measurement of the rooom to get some info on what to "fix".

_________________
BarcoGraphics 1208s/2 and BarcoGraphics 1209s/E


Last edited by nombz on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
nombz



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:


Most people go with carpet throughout. You are correct that you don't want to much sound deadening. I think it is 20% to 40% sound absorbtion material around the room IIRC.


True, and that is what I had in my previous cinema. But this time I was recommended to instead control the reflections (meaning carpet on only specific places which isnt seen in the pictures).

_________________
BarcoGraphics 1208s/2 and BarcoGraphics 1209s/E
Back to top
jeffslife



Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 4031
Location: ohio usa


PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ! Those are some massive sub cabs ! Each has 2 drivers ? I think I see where one would be but don't see where the 2nd one would go. They look amazing. BTW Cute kid !
_________________
We are ALL job creators !
Back to top
View user's photo album (10 photos)
nombz



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
WOW ! Those are some massive sub cabs ! Each has 2 drivers ? I think I see where one would be but don't see where the 2nd one would go. They look amazing. BTW Cute kid !

Thanks, that is Tuva, my oldest daughter soon to be 5.
Yes, it is tapped horns. 2 x JBL 12" in each. The output is ridiculous and the frequency response in my current cinema is totally straight all down to 12Hz at sweetspot Smile

This is what they look like internally :


Frequency response now (yes, I have minidsp 10x10 HD so it is PEQed) looks like this:

That will change when me and the consultant will do the final and complete adjust of frequency response of all speakers.

_________________
BarcoGraphics 1208s/2 and BarcoGraphics 1209s/E
Back to top
jeffslife



Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 4031
Location: ohio usa


PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you drive those subs with ? How many watts are you running to them @ 12 hz ?
_________________
We are ALL job creators !
Back to top
View user's photo album (10 photos)
nombz



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 119
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
What do you drive those subs with ? How many watts are you running to them @ 12 hz ?

Its horns so they dont need many watts to drive crazy output.

But they have 1200W per horn continuosly (Behringer EP4000) if it would be needed. There is no EQ whatsoever to increase around 12Hz. All the PEQ is actually negative gain only to smooth the curve. The horns themselves drive to 12Hz w/o EQ.

_________________
BarcoGraphics 1208s/2 and BarcoGraphics 1209s/E
Back to top
jeffslife



Joined: 17 Apr 2010
Posts: 4031
Location: ohio usa


PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1200 watts per speaker times 2 speakers RMS. WOW ! Times 2 cabinets Crazy output sounds about right. Wish I could hear it, or feel it I guess @ 12 hz.
_________________
We are ALL job creators !
Back to top
View user's photo album (10 photos)
marioleonel



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Location: New york, USA


PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nombz wrote:
jeffslife wrote:
The center channel looks identical to the front L & R only not as tall, How is that ? Also the rear surrounds have the tweeter on the bottom, what is the reason for that ?


The center is identical in filter and drivers, but it is deeper (to get the same volume). That is why it is not as tall.
When (or if) I go digital I will also replace the screen with something that acoustical transparent and then the center could be exactly the same.

The surrounds are placed closer to the ceiling and apparently then you should turn them upside down (my consultants idea, I read the paper he had on it and it was very convincing Smile ). I guess it has to do with which frequencies are reflected at what time.

There is also more speakers than you actually see also. Its 9.2 setup actually so including front wide speakers. Also the surrounds are "hidden" (not the back surround though).
The .2 is two krakken sub horns (dual 12" drivers in each). They are actually built into the front wall.

You see them in this picture (yeah, check these phenq reviews out (140kg each...) between the fronts).

This is a picture from the initial measurement of the rooom to get some info on what to "fix".


a very impressive setup you have came up with! Amazing transformation. all the details on speakers are noted down. I also like the flooring. wooden flooring works better when sound is concerned. btw, very cute kid!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum