Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Samsung and Quantum Dots

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Samsung and Quantum Dots Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, if I understand this correctly (usually not), the QD is a layer on the LCD panel to help block light from getting out of the panel and into the lens assy. Wasn't this something I had suggested for LCD projection back in like 2003?

The technology behind QD is nano crystals and at the time of my suggestion everyone said it couldn't be done, alignment would be a bitch, etc.^infinity. Mr. Green

But I would think anything 'nano' could be done on a LCD panel panel (maybe not for LCoS). Thoughts?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of quantum dots is totally different from what you just described.

From what I've read, the QD layer is light-emitting, not light blocking. Instead of putting a white/yellow backlight through multiple filters and losing a bunch of it, a backlight with a visual blue component makes the blue part of the image, while some of the backlight excites the QD layer to make the red and green pixels, which are both brighter and higher-contrast than a white/yellow backlight and three LCD filters.

I could be wrong, but whatever article I read gave me the impression that the QD layer almost works like a translucent layer of CRT phosphor.

I've only seen the tech applied to direct-view sets at this point, so not projection.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got off the turnip truck and found the company that is behind Samsung's marketed QD. It is Nanosys Inc. and in watching a video (on AVS) and looking at this diagram it seems the technology is more akin to plasma than anything else.

It just takes a high energy source and re-emits it at a different wavelength based on the size of the dot. That seems like how plasma was doing it.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my point is that Quantum Dot LCD from Samsung is still LCD, which means they still lack good control over the emissiveness of the back panel light. This is not a true Of/Off technology that can work on the [sub-]pixel level like OLED.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: