Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Test patterns

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Test patterns Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been working on my 8500 trying to get the best possible picture. Here are some test patterns I took of the output at 720p.

MAK

IMG_0968.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.16 KB
 Viewed:  9652 Time(s)

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.08 KB

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.29 KB

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.87 KB

IMG_0955.JPG

Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

If you want the best picture, get some 9" LUGs from cmjohnson and solve the problems associated with air coupled lenses that were never very good. It will be a revelation for you.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you are moving forward there is alot more potential out of those 8" tubes. Looks like you need a good astig/focus setup and a calibration and you will hit another level.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Those shots are a 1080p test displayed at 720p. I did the initial test to see if I could resolve 720. After that I masked the tubes and reset mechanical focus. I will try 1080p after I get back from vacation. My eyes hurt from moving rings and yokes many times. Have to bust the glue so the convergence grid is square to the tube and screen. Never was level since I got it and hate seeing the skew at 2 electrically. Otherwise , thanks for the note. I'll post more shots after another round.

Mak.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Mak, you are getting closer for sure look forward to your progress as it will get better.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Pixel 10.08 Mhz @ 1080p x 60hz shots of my 8500. I use Calman's pattern generator for my HTPC. These are a white field, so all 3 tubes lit at 60% brightness.

Mak

IMG_0998.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.13 KB
 Viewed:  8964 Time(s)

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  367.19 KB

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  392.55 KB

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  350.04 KB

IMG_0995.JPG

greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are looking pretty good. How you liking the picture these day's?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture looks very good after working on the gray scale. I want to max the raster usage for output. When I set it up, the image was just inside the tube face and I had banding on the left side. Looking at the tube, I could see black masking being drawn on the tube face. Very faint, but noticeable. Once I shrank that inside the tube, the banding disappeared. I want to look into making sure I use all the tube face for light output. Just not sure why there was banding. The convergence grid was centered on the install. Anyhow, I will continue on with the project.

Will have someone come out and calibrate it properly once its dialed in. I'd like to move the PJ forward if possible after working on raster usage.

Mak
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
The picture looks very good after working on the gray scale. I want to max the raster usage for output. When I set it up, the image was just inside the tube face and I had banding on the left side. Looking at the tube, I could see black masking being drawn on the tube face. Very faint, but noticeable. Once I shrank that inside the tube, the banding disappeared. I want to look into making sure I use all the tube face for light output. Just not sure why there was banding. The convergence grid was centered on the install. Anyhow, I will continue on with the project.

Will have someone come out and calibrate it properly once its dialed in. I'd like to move the PJ forward if possible after working on raster usage.

Mak

It's nice to see you making even more progress and moving forward. You are right a good calibration will
take it to the next level.. Your convergence grid was centered with your pc on and not internal patterns
there would be no shift.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Quail lens for testing. Hoping to see an improvement over the HD 144's on the PJ now.

IMG_1027[1].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  481.64 KB
 Viewed:  8218 Time(s)

IMG_1027[1].JPG

greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the new lens working out?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg9518lc wrote:

Greg,

I am off work for 4 days and will finally have some time to tinker. I only have the Red lens to test with. Will post some shots of both in a couple days. Hope all is well with you.

Mark
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
greg9518lc wrote:

Greg,

I am off work for 4 days and will finally have some time to tinker. I only have the Red lens to test with. Will post some shots of both in a couple days. Hope all is well with you.

Mark

Thanks Mak as is well on vacation this week have been making progress testing some new boards we have figured out and
fixed my previous boards so the meet will be moving forward as planned. Glad I did not wait for a glass half full. Look forward
to your results and I soon will post smpte patterns of old boards then repaired boards tested and calibrated at 72hz. A major
improvement over 60 hz tested boards.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Is Kurt in town yet? It would be nice to meet with you two sometime. We are not that far from each other.. I am still running Mikes boards at 60hz. I don't see judder or it does not bother me at all. Maybe it's because I am getting old and senile... Be great to have some experienced hands tinker with my set up.

Mark
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
Greg,

Is Kurt in town yet? It would be nice to meet with you two sometime. We are not that far from each other.. I am still running Mikes boards at 60hz. I don't see judder or it does not bother me at all. Maybe it's because I am getting old and senile... Be great to have some experienced hands tinker with my set up.

Mark

Yeah he will be over soon enough but not until we finish our project and we look forward to meeting you.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some time to mount the Red Quail lens and compare some test material. The first thing that stood out to me was that the image size of the Quail lens is the same as the HD144. I did not move the projector forward or back, just mechanical focus and electrical focus. Did a comparison of the star chart with both lenses, Red tube on, and could not see any appreciable increase of resolution. I wanted to, but I will not convince myself it's better. The quail lens focuses well in the corners. The mechanical focus has to be touched up on the other colors, but for this quick test Red was my main concern. It was hard to get a good picture of the red starburst. All pictures are from the Quail lens.

Mark

IMG_1056.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  407.86 KB
 Viewed:  7954 Time(s)

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  364.66 KB

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  498.07 KB

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  445.53 KB

IMG_1045.JPG

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget that starburst pattern, it has no usable feature for fixed pixel raster displays other than generating moire pattern. Instead use proper 1:1, 2:2, 3:3 test pattern, or full screen small text for readability. In the other thread I also wrote down how can you evaluate the optical quality of the lens, that also worth a try.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
Greg,

Mark

Kurt will be here end of September thru October 20th. Going to setup the projector for the October meet and then head out
on his calibration and setup tour and pop back in for the meet. Look forward to meeting you Mak Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: