Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee DIY Focus Board Mod
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Correction: I meant to say in the previous thread "Barco 909 focus coils" instead of "my particular Barco 909"

After getting my Moome card back after sending it to someone inadvertently, I was able to find out a few other things so far. The FGM does work best with the changes (put the 15K back) along with the other changes. The image is a tad sharper than a stock FGM. Not sure why that;'s the case, but I'm only confirming what I was also told.

The difference in the sharpness depends on the source. My Moome allows me to see the difference, that is not seen on the moome with only the filter changes (I'll post pictures on the changes one day). Because when doing 1080P focus, using the source device is a must. The internal grid is not good to focus at the higher resolutions, especially with the mods. My generator is even better.

So at this point, I'm done with the FGM for now. Mine is really working for me at this point.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much hours on this from darkness to daylight, I've made a few more changes. But the better changes are what's already done to my PJ. Kurt and others had talked about it being the sharpest at some point. And I've even wondered why, to know being convinced it's the changes I've already made to the CLM. I'll post them later some day, but for now, I've added a few more of the same previous changes.

If you've ever changed that capacitors on an aged CLM and immediately noticed the picture was sharper.... the reason is added noise on the rails when the main tants on the CLM go bad. They almost always do on the aged boards, and that is the real and main reason for seeing a sharpness increase after changing those caps.

I've gone s little further on mine to even including the Stig board(s) and adding beads to the lines that feed the FGM.
haireez

TV/Projector: Vidikron Vision 1 - Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

We are following this closely. Can you post some pictures on the changes made?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haireez wrote:
Mike,

We are following this closely. Can you post some pictures on the changes made?

Will do. Give me a few days, and I should have it all ready.
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

It's about 3 weeks now and we are still waiting patiently for your update.

Any chance you will share with us by end of this week?

Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week for sure. Getting over a bout of Pelvic Inflammatory something. Painful stuff, but I'm getting better slowly.

I have a bunch to cover on this and a few other things, so keep your eyes open this week!
haireez

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Definitely will wait for your updates soon. Thumbs Up

You're the best Mike!

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
This week for sure. Getting over a bout of Pelvic Inflammatory something. Painful stuff, but I'm getting better slowly.

I have a bunch to cover on this and a few other things, so keep your eyes open this week!

Is that caused by to much pelvic thrusting Question
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:

Is that caused by to much pelvic thrusting Question

Lol.. no to describe it better based on what they tell me. It's a more severe case of a prostate or urinary tract infection,and It's painful as hell. 14 days of antibiotics seems to be working so far.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you make a full recovery.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice little guide to noise reduction in power supply rails.

It covers both bypassing and decoupling techniques.

http://www.designers-guide.org/design/bypassing.pdf
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Snubber guide Reply with quote

Also some good information attached. I did quite a bit with these on the Barco 808s. The 17V rail ended up much better.

snubber guide.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  snubber guide.pdf
 Filesize:  69.94 KB
 Downloaded:  251 Time(s)

snubber guide.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  snubber guide.pdf
 Filesize:  69.94 KB
 Downloaded:  311 Time(s)

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've found to be a consistently recurring issue with the usage of "alternative" focus yokes is that it seems that nearly all of them that I've tried end up having a very limited focal range, particularly in the outer focus zones.

Is there enough range to achieve full sharpness? Yes, if the yoke is placed properly on the neck. But there's no extra range avaiable, and as components age and drift I'd be concerned that the day might come where I can't achieve full sharp focus across the whole screen for exactly that reason.

However, on the other side of the coin, having a limited range of adjustment serves to ensure that the adjustments made within that range are very precise. To put it into computer terms, "the bits are closer together". Higher resolution, you might say.

I think I'm just going to HAVE to break out one of my not fully functional oscilloscopes and rebuild the power supply and get it running properly so I can scope out the whole focus system and see what's going on there. Is the dynamic amp reaching saturation? Is there just not enough magnetic field strength being generated, implying the need fo a higher driving voltage to the coil? Maybe a phasing issue? (I can check that easily, and I do. I have found that it really doesn't seem to matter, as the dynamic focus signal is AC and the static focus signal is DC.)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, regarding cleaning up power supply noise...I have a suggestion.

I have an older non-Ultra Marquee with the older, non-Ultra capable motherboard and backplane. I just got replacements for those,
which are Ultra capable, and will be putting them in in the next day or so.

So I'm looking at the motherboard.

You wan to work on quieting down the power supply rails?

I suggest you do it right on the motherboard. There's PLENTY of room and nearly every rail you would want to clean up
is right there and accessible on the top side. Only the 85 volt rail is even a little bit problematic. That way, every board in the
machine benefits from mods made to one.

Looking at how easy it is to isolate and decouple a rail on the motherboard vs. what a chore it is to do it on, for example, the FGM, makes it a no brainer. Do your power quality improvement mods on the motherboard. Most of them, anyway.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Now, regarding cleaning up power supply noise...I have a suggestion.

I have an older non-Ultra Marquee with the older, non-Ultra capable motherboard and backplane. I just got replacements for those,
which are Ultra capable, and will be putting them in in the next day or so.

So I'm looking at the motherboard.

You wan to work on quieting down the power supply rails?

I suggest you do it right on the motherboard. There's PLENTY of room and nearly every rail you would want to clean up
is right there and accessible on the top side. Only the 85 volt rail is even a little bit problematic. That way, every board in the
machine benefits from mods made to one.

Looking at how easy it is to isolate and decouple a rail on the motherboard vs. what a chore it is to do it on, for example, the FGM, makes it a no brainer. Do your power quality improvement mods on the motherboard. Most of them, anyway.

You can imagine PCB traces as antennas. Power supply line cleanup serves to decrease noise on one hand but also to decouple the different boards those are using the same power liines, neither of these could be achieved with far-away filtering.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put the filtering right by the connector to the board you want to quiet down, say right by the FGM connector, then you still
have an easier mod to perform and I'd bet the results would be about the same. Nearly every voltage trace is right there on the upper layer of the motherboard.

If the filtering is right by the connector then the "antenna effect" would be minimized, and hardly any different than doing the
rail filtering on the FGM, or VDM, or HDM, as long as the filtering for a given board is done as close as possible to the relevant connector.

I don't like to do a lot of mod work on densely populated boards. I'd rather work on bigger boards with more room, fewer
components, and bigger traces. Fewer chances of a screwup are the results.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a long time since I worked on a Marquee, but there are the cages and the tube assemblies over the motherboard, so for example on a ceiling mounted Marquee I'd find easier to perform the mod on the actual board rather then messing with the motherboard deep in the belly of the machine.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm working on several machines all of which are on benches right now, not one hanging from the ceiling.

When the machine is on the bench, it's much easier to do most any mod on the chassis. I would expect that for a motherboard
mod, you'd also probably have the machine down on a bench for easier access.

I've got to make some choices, which mods do I want to perform BEFORE I remount the projector(s)? Because I'm seriously
thinking of mounting a pair of Ultras and not just one, this time around. Blend them and run a 10 foot wide screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: