Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Well that was... Easy? (Bluray playback on Linux)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TreyRust

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Well that was... Easy? (Bluray playback on Linux) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just got my first Bluray drive in the mail. Until today the only device I've ever had to play Blu on has been my beloved PS3 (Which is just old enough to still support component output for Bluray).

So I plug in the drive and pop in Zootopia. I'm running Linux and this movie came out yesterday, so my expectations for being able to actually play it were quite low.

I didn't even bother trying to play it out of the box, that's a guaranteed no-go.

I searched and I found MakeMKV. Installed it. Opened it. Alright well now all it wants to do is rip the bluray and it doesn't seem to have trouble starting that process but no, I don't want that much space wasted on my HDD, that's one of the biggest appeals of discs in the first place.

Then I searched for how to play it in VLC, letting MakeMKV decrypt it on the fly (Which I read that it could do).

Found this thread and followed the steps: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=7009 (Keep in mind, I didn't try to play it after installing MakeMKV and that thread is 3 years old, so it's possible that it's now an unnecessary step and I wish I had tried it before)

Then I started up VLC and went to "Open Disk". It took it about 10 seconds, which was long enough for me to think it failed and so I started to open a new tab to investigate more options on my other monitor when...

... The movie started to play, with all of 5 minutes of effort expended.

Wait, that's not how it works. You see, I'm supposed to go down this rabbit hole for about 5 hours before yanking out all of my hair and either having a eureka moment and getting it to work, or realizing it won't ever work and then install windows and shell out over $100 for AnyDVDHD.

I was mentally prepared to spend the rest of the night trying to make it work.

But no, it worked. Easily.

I'm kind of disappointed.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! been there before.

I built a htpc for my bedroom and did a blu Ray drive and thought how am I going to get this to work right-> fast forward to after the included software install and a simple update and it worked like a charm and I was enjoying a movie

Zootopia is awesome to watch on a big screen in blu Ray

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: