Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Croping Letterbox wear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Croping Letterbox wear? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just wondering, My Direct tv box lets me adjust the picture size on my screen, Crop, Letterbox, squeeze.
I have a 4;3 screen.
When using the crop feature to enlarge the picture & fill the screen, Am I putting extra wear on the tubes?
Sony 1272

Last edited by larryp on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the phosphor is lit up is where it's wearing. The brighter it's lit up, the faster it's wearing.

That's really all you need to know.

It's best to use as much phosphor area as possible. The advantages of this are that you can make the best use of your available resolution capacity, you get more light output due to more phosphor being used to generate light, and for any given brightness level on the screen, the more phosphor you use, the better, as you don't have to work the phosphor as hard to deliver a given light level if you are using more phosphor to get it.
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Crop over Letterbox is best for me?
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Croping Letterbox wear? Reply with quote

[quote="larryp"]Just wondering, My Direct tv box lets me adjust the picture size on my screen, Crop, Letterbox, squeeze.
I have a 4;3 screen.
When using the crop feature to enlarge the picture & fill the screen, Am I putting extra wear on the tubes?
Sony 1272[/quote] No

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are, however, restricting the amount of phosphor you are using in the cropped image. So to give a certain amount of light on the screen you must drive that smaller phosphor area harder, causing it to wear faster.

Because tubes are expensive, I would be inclined to use as much phosphor area as possible to get as much life out of the tubes
as possible, even if this meant living with some visible wear patterns. As long as they're not too bad, I CAN live with some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: