Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Easy repair on DVDO iScan VP50 Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Easy repair on DVDO iScan VP50 Pro Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I just got in three dead DVDO VPs (one VP50 Pro and two VP30). They were very cheap due to their condition and missing accessories. My idea was to cannibalize them for parts.
Just for fun, I put together a 6V supply and tried it with the VP50 Pro. To my surprise it was working at least intermittently. So I opened the case and looked for any obvious defects or hot areas. I had seen similar devices which use as many internal voltage regulators as the VP50 Pro (this one has at least 11 of them) and when one of them had a short, it could produce the same symptoms (current rises until the power supply's current limiter kicks in, switches off and starts a new cycle). Well, not on this one.
The DVDO's power supply design isn't the best to say the least as it requires a low voltage (6 Volt) high current (up to 5 Ampere) supply. This puts higher stress to connectors, PCB vias and the supply itself. These external supplies are well known for their high failure rate.
I found out that the 7.5 Ampere fuse near the power connector was getting warm. That shouldn't happen!
By touching it I could get the VP to work for a longer time and the fuse would cool down again. So I disassembled the unit and the underside of the PCB revealed some really bad soldering in some areas. One leg of the fuse was able to move!
Well, after half an hour of resoldering all critical locations including the fuse, everything was back to normal. Now let's see if the other two VPs can be repaired too...

Regards,
barclay66

VP50Pro_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.4 KB
 Viewed:  18817 Time(s)

VP50Pro_1.JPG

VP50Pro_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.42 KB
 Viewed:  18817 Time(s)

VP50Pro_2.JPG

View user's photo album (25 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce, I had a Marquee CLM here that had no output on all tubes. Checked the voltage out from the G2 op amp and it had no to very low voltage out of all channels. So I looked at the voltage to the associated dac and it was suppose to be 12 vdc but it was only 5. So I lifted the DPB and the tant to the regulator was dark brown on one half. Popped a new one in and wallah!!! Worked fine.

I have repaired 3 CLM's now with the help of an old forum member for one of them.

Have fun Jorge.... I sent you an e-mail the other day to your paypal e-mail did you get it?

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I sent you an e-mail the other day to your paypal e-mail did you get it?

Hello Nash,

I have read it, but I haven't had time for really digging deep into it. For the moment I'd call the replacement You suggested "plausible" (in Mythbusters terminology). Just too many things going on at the moment...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottcha!

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
MTR

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of these VPs' going to be put up for sale anytime soon ? Assuming working now ?

Thanks.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTR- check the buy sell section. Here's a good one from a reliable seller:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=399835#399835

Post 4 more times and you can send Craig a PM, or email him through his site link.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I am looking for someone to take a crack at my VP50 It is giving some sort of service error as well. I would be happy to pay someone to fix it (if possible)
fafangus

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys
Maybe a future owner of a vp50 pro, but I think I'll need your help to fix it
Thanks btw for posting helps ^^
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most common failure on a DVDO is the power supply. Other than that, there's not much that can be repaired. Beware of picking up a dead/malfunctioning unit.
fafangus

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm okay thanks for the tip, I have an another unit I could buy, a vp50, is there big difference between the two ?
Thanks ^^

Edit : found a fully fonctionnal vp50 !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: