Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Freestanding equipment rack recommendations and suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Freestanding equipment rack recommendations and suggestions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
All, I am looking for a free-standing rack to dump a bunch of equipment in. Want it to be tall so the second project can sit on top. Have a couple of amplifier, AVR, HD-DVD player, two Blu-ray players, Xbox 360 and One, DirecTV DVR, Panamax, UPC and some smaller items (router, Apply TV, etc.).

I'm even willing to consider two free-standing racks where the hotter components (the two Emotiva XPA-5's, Panamax and UPC) are in a smaller (shorter) side rack.

Not sure what the budget would be as I am not sure what the field is like. Purchase timeframe would be now. Thumbs Up

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so "tall" means you're looking at a 44-48U... That puts it up in the 6-1/2' to 7' ballpark. Middle Atlantic or Sanus both have very nice high-quality options. Sanus is a little better-looking IMHO, and what's even nicer is that the pricing is a little better, and you save a ton on accessories because the Sanus racks come with shelves and blanks, where Middle Atlantic nickel-and-dimes you to death on all that stuff.

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/racks/cfr2144/
http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/racks/cfr2115/

You're looking at $1000-1500 for a tall rack like you're talking about, and $500 or so for a small one.

If you want to save some serious coin, used/second-hand is always an option. Since you're in Atlanta, that should actually be possible surfing craigslist or even eBay for your area. I picked up a decent used Middle Atlantic rack locally for $200 that would have been approaching $1500 with all the accessories. It needs to be cleaned up and it has a couple of gouges in it, but for that kind of savings, I'm OK with not having a pristine rack.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Steve. Call local AV and residential installation companies to see if htey have a trade-in rack in stock that they'd sell cheap. They are hard to resell usually so I'm sure they'd dump them cheap.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can try to call around, but honestly most of the HT places have dried up and gone out of business. How about something like this?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/158626/Peerless-AV-30U-AV-Component-Rack/;jsessionid=0000PmpIl-qk-eNVi1KiWwjccbB:17h4h7c4g

While waiting the equivalent of 4-6 weeks for delivery, the delivered price of <$500 makes me want to buy two of them.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a company in your area that handles electronics scrap and surplus?

Because from them, you can get racks for pennies on the dollar. And usually they're in great shape.

Also check with companies in your area that do a lot of IT system installation work. Odds are that they'll be removing and replacing
racks some time in the next or last few weeks. Get the old ones for a bargain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: