Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Pattern Generator (stand alone, cheap)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Pattern Generator (stand alone, cheap) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Gang -

I have a cute little Barco crosshatch pattern generator with a RGB-composite sync output. The unit's two, simple knobs [one for the Vert Scan rate (50,60,100 Hz) and another for the Horiz Freq (15 to 30kHz)] make it really easy to use. I'd like a version of this that is capable of ~24Hz-120Hz on vertical (not so important) and that can hit Horz Freqs up to 90kHz. Ideally it would let me dial-up the H_freq, but discrete choices would be fine.

I don't want to use a laptop with powerstrip and would like to avoid lugging a VP or other source that might be more bother.

Recommendations for a similar, super simple solution? Am I missing something on this front?

Cheers,
Matt
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

VTG150 does everything you need, including 32 different patterns. I have used the VTG100 for twenty-plus years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-VTG-150-Video-Test-Generator-/152098549838?hash=item2369c7b04e:g:uo0AAOSw~oFXFo4w
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim -

Sweet! My google searches used too-specific terms, I guess...the generic "test pattern generator" would have been better than "crosshatch generator", etc. as I missed the entire Extron line and some others. Wink A VTG 100 sold a while ago for $9 plus shipping and a VTG 300 just sold for $50 last night, although many VTGs have sold in the $100-$200 range since March 2016. With a little patience, I'll get one on the cheap and should be good to go.

If others have alternate suggestions, I'm curious, nonetheless.

Thanks again,
Matt
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch ebay for quantumdata generators like the 801 or 802. Sometimes they go surprisingly cheap.

I should know, my 801GP cost me ONE DOLLAR plus shipping.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Watch ebay for quantumdata generators like the 801 or 802. Sometimes they go surprisingly cheap.

I should know, my 801GP cost me ONE DOLLAR plus shipping.

And $500 for the training course to learn how to use it Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has two knobs. One chooses resolution, the other chooses the pattern. It really couldn't be a lot simpler.

Of course it is flexible, versatile, and programmable, but the presets (and there are plenty of them) are enough for most people most of the time.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the Chroma 2237 pattern generator (MP uses this too), there was one on e-bay for like $20 I think...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Quantum Data 801 GG. Prices on it vary, but mine was about $140 when I bought mine, shipping included. From what I gather, Quantum Data pattern generators are pretty reliable, and my seller couldn't really verify the pattern generator because it wouldn't sync with his LCD monitor all that well. So he marked it as "untested" and sold it as such. Keep your eyes pealed and you may be able to find one yourself.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an 802 off ebay for 125 dollars. My 801 is an 801GP which is a limited (60 MHz) budget version, and I decided that I
will definitely need something more aggressive than that.

The 801GP is fine for limited bandwidth projectors like Barcos. Very Happy
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I just bought an 802 off ebay for 125 dollars. My 801 is an 801GP which is a limited (60 MHz) budget version, and I decided that I
will definitely need something more aggressive than that.

The 801GP is fine for limited bandwidth projectors like Barcos. Very Happy

$125 for an 802? Nice! Reason I got my 801GG is that it's the least bandwidth-limited of the bunch, topping out at 360Mhz. Also, it natively accepts commands from Sony's WinDAS calibration software for GDM monitors. Simply plug the serial port into a computer's serial port, and away you go.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there's a 400 MHz option for certain models of the 802. I could have bought one for about 200 dollars recently but did not do it as its output was only SDI. Which I can NOT use.

Even then, it's a 400 MHz pixel clock option, so "only" 200 MHz of real video bandwidth can be realized.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the 802 I bought, and as expected it does have a problem. Which I was quickly able to diagnose.

The unit's ESN chip is not communicating with the processor, so lacking an electronic serial number, it will not
allow itself to fully power up.

Fortunately the entire circuit relating to the ESN system is something like nine components in total.

What I am not sure of, though, is whether or not the ESN chip itself can simply be replaced or if it has to be
replaced and programmed at the factory with unit specific data.

So I have a support request in with quantumdata. The unit is worth a certain amount to me, to get it working,
and since the diagnostics are already mostly done on it I am hoping that they'll be able to do the repair for me
at a price I'll be happy to pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: